“Luxury”

Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
limerick
“Luxury”
Reviewed 5 January 2012

This hotel is the business for loved up couples to hide away

Room Tip: Request a lake view room
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (759)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 December 2011

We have stayed in this hotel a few times now and could never say a bad word against it. The location is breathtaking and the rooms are of v good standard. The food and dining hall add to the experience. Even the fruit basket in the hall is a welcome addition. We love the hotel so much we even bought one of their pictures from reception.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a balcony room,it's worth it
1 Thank Teacup857
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We booked the lake for a weekend break with our family, we enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, the food was great and the views breath

nothing was a problem to the staff, would recommend this hotel highly for a weekend break.

• Stayed November 2011
Kenmare, Ireland
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I'm just home after a night in The Lake Hotel and am writing my first review. I don't want to let the moment slip before writing about how wonderful this Hotel is. Living in the area I've driven past so many times and have always wondered what it was like, well......what we found is a tranquil, well loved, cosy and beautifully decorated gem!
We were lucky enough to have a gorgeous room on the 5th floor with a 4 poster bed and the most magnificent views over the tree tops, the lake and a full sweep of the vast mountain range.The furnishings in the room were so tasteful and the fire place and sitting area were a real treat and COMPLIMENTS on the wine cooler which had me thinking that I could book in for a week and treat myself to the odd bottle of wine in the room, the room was big enough and comfortable enough to make it home for such a length of time.
As we love to run we had the most fantastic jog to Muckross House and back which is four miles in total of beautiful flat scenic run. The location of the Hotel is second to none as it's right on the edge of The National Park with Muckross House a 2 mile walk through The Park, SO many walking routes and Torc Waterfall, Dinish Cottage all within reach. The outdoor hot tub at sunset in November was perfect after our run.
The bar is beautiful, a lovely relaxing space, very tastefully decorated. We ate in the Restaurant and were SO pleasantly surprised again! This really was the icing on a very tasty cake for me. The food was unpretentious, the menu was lovely, my steak was cooked exactly as I asked, the seasoning was perfect and everything married exceptionally well on my plate! We would stay here again for the food alone. Sometimes a hotel can be let down by it's food but not here. it was well executed, tasty,humble food. I was delighted to hear they have won red rosettes for the food.
My only negative was that it could have been hotter but because it was so delicious they got away with this.
There are beautiful sitting areas and some beautiful relaxing rooms around the place where you could happily sit with a book and chill. From once I stepped inside I was intrigued and felt welcome, relaxed and at ease. Having heard this morning that the same family have run this hotel for 99 years (100 next year), I now know that what I was feeling all the time is that this is a well loved Hotel run with a sense of pride by people who understand what they are doing. All the memorabilia around the place is an added touch of this.
Well done to all, I can only imagine how magic Christmas is here. We will be back!

1 Thank Karen C
Newry, Northern Ireland
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I had the pleasure of staying here for two nights in early November. I booked online a 2BB/1D special which represented great value for money. Killarney in November is beginning to wind down and it's a great time to go there.

The location of this hotel is really excellent. It's just outside the south side of the town on the Kenmare Road, about a 5 minute drive from the the town centre. The hotel is set right on the shore of Lough Leane, set well back from the main road.

The hotel originates from the 19th century and has been added to several times since then. We stayed in a lake view with a balcony in the original part of the hotel. The welcome of the staff was exemplary. The size of the room was large enough. The furniture, while not the most modern, was very good and was in keeping with the style of the hotel which is more country manor. The bathroom was excellent. The other wings are newer but I didn't get to see any of those rooms.

There was no wifi/internet access in our room however, in the upstairs guest lounge 3 PCs are available with free internet access. The hotel was quiet while we were there, but it could be a different story if occupancy is high.

The hotel bar is large and the staff are very friendly. The dining room is very large and with original high ceilings and large windows makes for a pleasant place to eat as you look over the lake. The breakfast is a self-service buffet and is very good indeed.

The dinner was also very good, although the staff seemed to be under pressure the evening we were there (and not a lot of people there.) However I must point out we had no issues whatsoever with them and the food was very good.

We took advantage of the treatment rooms and booked massages. Prior to this we used the outdoor hot-tub (really excellent) and the thermal suite. There is a gym but it is quite small, with no treadmill.

The massages were excellent and also represented good value.

The hotel is also located very close to an entrance into Killarney National Park and makes for a good place to base yourself if heading into the park.

Taxis from the hotel to the town centre and vice versa run about €7. It would be a good 25 minute walk if the weather was better!

Overall this hotel is really excellent, with very comfortable rooms and attentive staff. The location is one of the best in Killarney. I would not hesitate to come back, the staff informed me that they had full occupancy over the summer and based on this visit I can see why.

Great place for a getaway and a good base to visit Kerry.

Room Tip: Get a lake view room, as high up as possible, with a four poster bed and balcony. Room 320 has proba...
1 Thank newryman99