See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 August 2015

Have taken cycling group here on a few occasions, Susan and family are great hosts and in the business for years. Comfortable beds and nice dorms. Spacious kitchen with good facilities. Fine fire in stove, on arrival to keep us warm after cycle late on a Friday evening up through gap of dunloe.
The hostel is on the Kerry way, it's surrounded by mountains and has lakes nearby. If you want a quiet hostel in beautiful surroundings this is for you. small shop open during season adjacent to hostel, new shed to store bikes or hang wet gear in.

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank maggymayKerry
Reviewed 4 June 2015 via mobile

A group of us approx 20 people cycled from Cork last Sat.We got the ferry from Ross castle.The day was very wet so on arriving at the Hostel we were soaked.We were told to leave all our wet clothes on the ground outside the door which we did.We were told they would be dry for us in the morning.We then proceeded to the room my room was 14ft × 9ft approx that had 8 bunks crazy.It had no ladder to get to top bunks or no rail.We had very little space to put our clothes.I then went for a shower which was far from hot it was gone cold for the people after me.To cap it all our wet clothes were never dryed so if you had only one set of rain gear your problem.I have Hosteled a lot and this Hostel to me was not good .They might be just small thoughts but it would make a big difference to just put an extra bit of work into it.

Date of stay: June 2015
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Peter L
Reviewed 15 September 2014

This hostel is down the valley through The Gap of Dunloe - the drive to & from the hostel makes it 5 Star!! Quiet, clean, good hot shower, wifi....ticks all the boxes for a peaceful stay. Beautiful part of Ireland.

Date of stay: September 2014
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank indianniem
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We stayed in the Black Valley Hostel for one night on a trip with my Transition Year Class. The hostel was perfect for our needs. There was four rooms with bunk beds, a kitchen, a TV room and several bathrooms. There is free Wifi and the password is posted on the wall. Phone reception is bad in the upstairs rooms, but is available down stairs. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were clean. The hostel is located in the middle of nowhere. There are some lovely walking routes nearby, including the old Kenmare road to Killarney which I would personally recommend. There is also rock climbing and abseiling about a 20 minute drive away. The only fault I have with this hostel is the the tap water is not suitable for drinking so it needs to be purified first. I would recommend this hostel to anyone looking for nice, quite, affordable accommodation.

Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank lauraellen97
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed there for 1 night. We got double private room. It was very clean and cosy. The challenge was to get there as the roads are more bike friendly. One remark:protect yourself against midges during the summer time.Strongly recommend this place to everybody who want to disconnect from the matrix.

Date of stay: July 2013