5 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Official Site
Priceline
Vio.com
Agoda.com
1,682 results
All reviews great location spanish arch latin quarter quay street car park deluxe room lovely hotel reception area central location galway city staff were so friendly eyre square pubs ireland receptionist euro
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 August 2020

This is a great location from which to explore Galway. It's ideally located located in the Spanish Quarter.The staff are ultra friendly and helpful.Its tastefully decorated and the rooms are comfortable and spotless.We shall return

Date of stay: August 2020
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Maura O'Donnell, Owner at The House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2020

Dear Mickandee59,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at The House. Thank you for your lovely comments on the staff and hotel.

I look foward to seeing yourself and Dee again

Regards

Reviewed 4 August 2020

Stayed overnight and enjoyed an outstanding evening meal. Staff members Luke and Tom were very efficient and helpful. The room was comfortable and clean and I had a good night's sleep. The current guidelines in relation to Covid19 were aheared to throughout the hotel and this made me feel stay. I hope to return to the House Hotel in the the near future.

Date of stay: August 2020
Maura O'Donnell, Owner at The House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2020

Dear 901conoro,

Thank you for your lovely review following your stay with us on Sunday night. I know Tom and Luke will be delighted with the special mention. Thank you for your kind comments on your rooms and procedures in place due to covid19.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Regards

Reviewed 4 August 2020 via mobile

We called ahead to not only say we're bringing a group of 12 people with us but that it is our wedding weekend as we can't get away due to the pandemic.

We booked a super deluxe room for some extra niceness but it seems when we arrived they claimed they never knew it was a wedding. Don't worry about special treatment but it seems we got one of the worst rooms in the hotel with a view onto a take away restaurant's fan and absolutely no natural light coming into the room just the constant smell of greasy takeaway food even when we had the windows closed.

The room was beautiful which is why I gave two stars and they did accommodate us as a group but while they have messed up a good few times with our orders during our dinner (fair enough I suppose it was a bigger group) they have double charged us for a few things and charged it to our room totalling an extra 80 euro. While they were careful with their wording to not suggest we're cheating them the words "you've all paid for what you said you had not what was on the bills" was not the most pleasant way to finish off our trip which also happened to be my birthday morning. That meant we were rushing to a brunch booking that almost got canceled on us due to their incompetence.

Not going to lie, while it was lovely location and the rooms were clean and well kept, it's not a place I'd ever return.

1  Thank Zsófi T

Dear Zsófi T,

I was disappointed to read so many nigh on identical reviews from your group over the last two days.

Regarding your special weekend, we would always try to afford extra special treatment to a bridal party. However as we were very busy, we were unable to offer you an upgrade to a higher category of room as they were all occupied. Nevertheless, we were able to offer a complimentary upgrade to 2 of your party’s rooms.

I will readily admit that some mistakes were made during what was a very busy evening for our restaurant. Our new online ordering facility does not currently have the feature to 'pay later' which is what you all indicated you wanted at the beginning when asking that your bills be split. As I am sure you can appreciate it is not common practice for a restaurant to issue separate bills for a table of your size as this can cause much confusion and inconvenience.

As I was not on duty myself Sunday night, I told you and your party when I spoke to you prior to your departure that I would investigate and speak to the relevant staff and managers over the coming days, I would have hoped that you would have refrained from posting such harsh reviews until you had afforded me the chance to contact you and attempt to solve this situation amicably.

We did attempt to contact you by phone later that day, I also followed up with an email to you to try and arrange a suitable date and time to discuss but I am still awaiting a response from you.

On the morning having spoken to you in person, as a goodwill gesture, I decided not to charge you for any of the disputed items regardless of whether or not the investigation showed monies outstanding and so as not to cause you any further inconvenience by delaying your brunch appointment.

I can see that you and your party are clearly upset about what should have been a special evening and I apologise for the mistakes made. While I understand your frustrations this concerted effort to reduce our rating is very disappointing and a wholly disproportionate response.

Reviewed 3 August 2020

Location is central. Receptionist at arrival was very friendly. Other than that I would strongly recommend avoiding this hotel. Carpets in the room were very stained. Had awful hassle at dinner with the staff lacking basic customer service skills. Granted we were with quite a large party (12 of us) but our orders were repeatedly mixed up. Upon arrival to the restaurant the young man serving us advised us not to order through the app, but to do so manually as it was handier - I can’t understand how this would be handier considering the large group but he assured us it would be no problem for us all to pay separately at the end. One drink was brought out to us which was not ordered and when this was pointed out to the waitress she left it there saying “somebody will drink it” and then of course it was added to our bill. Another member of the party had the wrong drink brought out - cider instead of lager - which the staff rectified but simply poured the lager into the same glass that had been used for the cider. Another member of the party ordered nachos as a main, but it was brought out as a starter. When this was pointed out to the staff they changed it but one member of the kitchen staff was spotted by our group mouthing profanity at another member, obviously directed at our group. At no point during the entire meal were any of us asked if we wanted another drink and flagging down staff members was difficult, despite the restaurant being relatively quiet. Neither were we offered dessert after the plates for the mains were cleared. After about half an hour we managed to flag down a staff member only to be told the kitchens were closed and we could not get dessert. If we had been offered dessert after the main this wouldn’t have been an issue. We ordered another round of drinks in any case But had to wait half an hour before all of them were brought out.
To top it off, at the end of the night we were told there was a balance of 80 something euro left, despite all of us having paid for our share. The staff couldn’t figure out where this balance was coming from and we were assured that it was probably a mix up on their behalf due to the poor service we had received and not to worry about it. However, the next day at check out, it was an issue again. Myself and my partner had ordered one drink each to our hotel room during our stay. At checkout we were charged 38 euro for the two drinks!! My partner paid this without realising and I returned to the desk to question it. When the receptionist was questioned he couldn’t produce a receipt for the excess charge and refunded us the difference. HOWEVER, another two members of our party were then advised about the 80 odd euro balance again. All of us had to return to the hotel with our receipts from the previous night despite having a 10am reservation for food elsewhere; we really didn’t have the time to do this and it made us quite late. This receptionist was quite snotty to us and went to get the manager. The manager was polite enough but it was embarrassing to be accused of not paying up. In the end, she could not figure out where the surplus charge was coming from and apologised to us. But it was a lot of unnecessary hassle. This is the first time in my life I have ever left a bad review for a hotel but the service was appalling and I would advise anyone to stay elsewhere if visiting Galway.

1  Thank 367hazelf

Dear 367hazelf,

As I was not on duty myself Sunday night, I told the party when I spoke to them prior to your departure that I would investigate and speak to the relevant staff and managers over the coming days, I would have hoped that you would have refrained from posting such harsh reviews until you had afforded me the chance to contact the organiser and attempt to solve this situation amicably.

We did attempt to contact the group organiser by phone later that day, I also followed up with an email to them to try and arrange a suitable date and time to discuss but I am still awaiting a response.

On the morning having spoken to majority of the group in person, as a goodwill gesture, I decided not to charge for any of the disputed items regardless of whether or not the investigation showed monies outstanding and so as not to cause you any further inconvenience by delaying your brunch appointment.

Reviewed 3 August 2020

A group of 12 of us booked in for 2 nights for a wedding celebration on the August Bank Holiday weekend. Everything started out ok, the receptionist who checked us in on the Safurday afternoon was a lovely polite lady, the rooms were clean and comfortable and the location was good. However, the service in general in the hotel and particularly the restaurant was absolutely shocking. We had dinner in the restaurant on the Sunday night. When we arrived at our table the young man who served us showed us the QR codes and informed us that we could order individually online and pay online, but that he recommended doing a manual order for such a big group. We specifically informed him we would all be splitting the bill and he told us that would be no problem. We ordered our food and drinks, first of all they messed up one of our group's drink order, which they rectified by pouring the drink out of the glass and refilling the same glass with the correct drink. Starters were brought out, one of our party specifically asked for nachos as a main course but it was brought out as a starter so she sent it back, advising the server that it should have been a main course. When he took the food away and turned around to his colleague one of our group actually saw him mouth a profanity to his colleague, which was quite obviously directed at our group member who had sent the incorrect food back. We ate our meal, no issues with the food, it was nice and tasty. However no one came near our table during the meal to take more drinks orders and some members of the group waited almost 40 minutes after finishing their last drink to get another drink. After the main course, no one came near us to ask us if we wanted dessert, so after about half an hour a member of our group called one of the servers over to ask could we order dessert and more drinks, he told us no problem, he would be back. After about 10 minutes he returned, at 10 p.m. and informed us we could not order dessert as the kitchen closes at 10. We ordered one more round of drinks and it took another 20 minutes to get them. We all paid for the food and drinks that we'd had. When the last our our group went to pay they were told there were some things outstanding, but not to worry about those as they were probably as a result of the various orders the staff members made mistakes with, so they thought nothing of it. We all checked out the next morning, and the last of our group to check out had 80 added to their bill, which was apparently food and drinks not accounted for from dinner. We almost missed our 10 am brunch reservation as we were asked to come back with our receipts to figure it out, even though we all knew well that we had paid for everything that we had! One of the managers ended up being called to try to sort it out, and eventually she admitted she wasn't sure where the extra outstanding amount was coming from, as we had paid everything. She did apologise, and I know it wasn't actually her fault as she hadn't even been working the previous night, however the managers in the hotel definitely need to develop better systems for overseeing the performance of their staff. I understand it's a difficult industry to work in, having worked in hospitality and food service myself in my younger years, so I wouldn't be posting negative reviews for no reason or to be petty, but the overall service in this hotel was just inexcusable and it needs to be managed better going forward.

1  Thank Srobwex