“An o.k stay”

and 1 more site!
Sleepzone Hostel Galway
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I stayed in this hostel with a group. While the rooms were clean and comfy we were never told about the no alcohol rule until we arrived. Any alcohol in our rooms unopened or otherwise was taken by the cleaners, they even searched through a girls bag to find it. I don't think any hostel no matter how nice, should think it's ok to search through people's belonging's.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dlax2011
Sleepzone2011, Manager at Sleepzone Hostel Galway, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2011

We did not search anyone's belongings !

It's disappointing that Trip Advisor seems to allow anyone to say anything at anytime without any verification with management.

Reviewed 19 November 2011

Had a wonderful stay in Sleepzone this weekend. Staff were excellent and had great knowledge of the area, particularly Stephanie, who knows galway like the back of her hand!! Pleasant woman, well able to hold her own and lay down the law when necessary! Overall, everyone enjoyed their stay!! Thanks to Sleepzone and Steph!!

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank jdjk92
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed here for one night in April. It was a weekend so it was very busy, as were all hostels in Galway. It's a decent hostel. The staff was friendly.

My biggest gripe was that my room didn't have lockers for my stuff (though you can rent lockers in the lobby, but it's inconvenient to go all the way down there).

The place was crowded and the breakfast area was full of tables squeezed together. Does its job, but I've been to hostels whose common areas are much more inviting and open to the solo traveler wanting to meet new people (more open space is what I crave...this is a personal preference so if you're like me you might feel the same). This would be a good place to go with groups. I saw several groups from different countries and they were having a blast. People with accents, from Germany, from France. Many cool travelers come here.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed here with a friend in a 6 person room. The beds were comfortable and lockers were available downstairs. The kitchen was really nice too as was the dining area and the lounge. My only problem wasn't actually with the hostel itself but rather the other people staying with us. There were some really annoying French girls who kept coming in and out of room and the bathroom connected to our room had paper thins walls so even someone just turning on the faucet in the middle of the night was obnoxiously loud. The staff was really friendly and the location of the hostel is right off a few streets with restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 October 2011

This is a hard one to write. From what I remember of my first impressions, there was little to nothing to complain about. A very nice kitchen area, good showers, and clean facilities all around. The staff were mostly very helpful, except for one woman who just seemed like she was having the worst day of her life.

The problem I had was with my roommates. I needed a place to stay for a night before heading off to the Aran Islands in the morning. I figured I would go with something cheap, and I'm not easily bothered by limited space, so I took a room in a five person dorm. A good proportion of the hotel guests were quite young, so I guess everything that happened from this point was to be expected.

I go to bed at 11:30, but I have still never even seen my roommates. All the other beds are filled, so I leave on one of the lights above the other beds (a great idea to have individual lights for each bed), so that they'll be able to see when they get home. They barge in completely drunk at 3 AM, and are laughing like hyenas, and then ate crackers for about 30 minutes (you're technically not allowed eating in the room). They kept daring each other to do something to me - I still don't know what it was, but I pretended I was asleep so that they would try something, and I'd have a reason to get them kicked out of there.

Obviously this is not going to happen to everyone, but the thing is, there are many B&Bs around Galway for similar prices. I stayed in one the next night, and it was 1000x better quality, a single room, and only 10 euros more. No reason to risk it if you're over 21.

Room Tip: Not the dorms!