“Good place to stay if your traveling with a group” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sleepzone Hostel Galway

Sleepzone Hostel Galway
Incheon, South Korea
“Good place to stay if your traveling with a group”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed here with a friend in a 6 person room. The beds were comfortable and lockers were available downstairs. The kitchen was really nice too as was the dining area and the lounge. My only problem wasn't actually with the hostel itself but rather the other people staying with us. There were some really annoying French girls who kept coming in and out of room and the bathroom connected to our room had paper thins walls so even someone just turning on the faucet in the middle of the night was obnoxiously loud. The staff was really friendly and the location of the hostel is right off a few streets with restaurants and shops.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Finnish first
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

This is a hard one to write. From what I remember of my first impressions, there was little to nothing to complain about. A very nice kitchen area, good showers, and clean facilities all around. The staff were mostly very helpful, except for one woman who just seemed like she was having the worst day of her life.

The problem I had was with my roommates. I needed a place to stay for a night before heading off to the Aran Islands in the morning. I figured I would go with something cheap, and I'm not easily bothered by limited space, so I took a room in a five person dorm. A good proportion of the hotel guests were quite young, so I guess everything that happened from this point was to be expected.

I go to bed at 11:30, but I have still never even seen my roommates. All the other beds are filled, so I leave on one of the lights above the other beds (a great idea to have individual lights for each bed), so that they'll be able to see when they get home. They barge in completely drunk at 3 AM, and are laughing like hyenas, and then ate crackers for about 30 minutes (you're technically not allowed eating in the room). They kept daring each other to do something to me - I still don't know what it was, but I pretended I was asleep so that they would try something, and I'd have a reason to get them kicked out of there.

Obviously this is not going to happen to everyone, but the thing is, there are many B&Bs around Galway for similar prices. I stayed in one the next night, and it was 1000x better quality, a single room, and only 10 euros more. No reason to risk it if you're over 21.

Room Tip: Not the dorms!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
3 Thank terryhbell
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

This was a good hostel to stay at. There are lockers available for luggage, and the washrooms are large enough and clean. The kitchen area is very large with lots of seating.

This was the first hostel I stayed at where I had to ask to switch rooms - not due to the room, but the person sharing it. The hostel was excellent with handing this and gave me another room right away - mind you the hostel was not full at the time.

It gets very busy on the weekends with students, so plan around this by booking early or coming during the week.

Overall a great stay.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ground floor - drunk students will ruin your sleep.
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
      Rooms
1 Thank Dave S
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

The best parts of staying at this Sleepzone were the helpful, friendly staff and the location - super close to the main square and bus station. I stayed in a private room in an apartment-like setting with a couple who had the other room. We shared a bathroom as well as a kitchen and living space. I wasn't in the hostel that much, but it was very clean and the common area in the main part of the hostel was fun - lots of people at the common tables and cooking in the kitchen. My only real complaint was that the door to my private room had window slats in it - they were obscured, but let in light (luckily my apartment mates weren't up late) and a little open, which didn't feel super secure. Other than that, though, it was a great place to stay for my short to trip to Galway.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

The location is excellent, near bus station and pubs!! The rooms are fine, and the kitchen has everything you need!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business