“A true hidden gem in the heart of Salthill” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Black Cat

Black Cat
Ranked #32 of 466 Restaurants in Galway
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Doha, Qatar
“A true hidden gem in the heart of Salthill”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

We found this by chance. The place has only just opened and we went in for brunch - full irish breakfast in fact. And it well surpassed our expectations. The breakfast was scrumptious and surprisingly very healthy. The sausages and bacon were of high quality and both the black and white pudding were very tasty. I've never had white pudding before and was a bit nervous trying it. But after the first bite, there was no turning back.

They had a very interesting dinner menu with a choice of tapas and main courses. So we went back that night and tried it out. We weren't very hungry (probably due to the rather filing irish breakfast that morning) so we tried the selection of tapas. This included spanish meatballs, fish cakes with seaweed, pancetta wrap with olive and mozarella, mixed crostinis and calamaris. As my husband doesn't eat squid, I asked if we could have instead a small portion of the black seafood spaghetti and the chef very kindly obliged. Well that was a good move as it was truly very very good (although a little heavy on the cream for my personal taste). The meatballs were tasty but a little lukewarm. The fish cake was something special and I'll certainly have that again. And the pancetta wrap? I had that as a starter the following night so that says it all really. Yes we were back again the following night and I had a full portion of the black spaghetti. I asked for a little less cream and the chef obliged again. It was perfect. I was told subsequently that they like it a bit heavier in Ireland. My husband had a rare sirloin steak which was perfectly executed.

The wine list was good and reasonably priced. Staff was very efficient and friendly. I hope they keep up with the good work and will most definitely visit again.

• Visited August 2011