This review will not be relevant to those who are looking to spend a night at this hotel, but rather for those who are seeking to go to or to book a function, such as the one that I attended a few days ago. The Radisson Blu Hotel in Galway is located close to the city centre, yet in a commercially secluded location: a 300 metre walk from the closest shopping street. It has an individual courtyard entrance which is impressive for cars and taxis dropping off guests, and a spacious and airy reception area, which was ideal for our ‘cava’ reception on the night. This introduction was the highlight of the night, with the ladies in their finery and the gentlemen smartly attired in tuxedos introducing each other, while a pianist was tinkling jazz on the ivories and a trumpeter accompanied him with aplomb. We were escorted to the main ballroom while the large number of attendees awaited their meal. It is from this point that things started to go wrong. It took some time before the soup course emerged: such that the guests were gnawing the bread rolls before it arrived. It was served in ragged order, with ten minutes between the first and last serving. The soup was delicious, but it was a meagre portion, served in tiny bowls. The main course was basic fayre: chicken and gravy, with mash formed in a mould, small portions of green beans broccoli and garlic-free potato dauphinoise. The course was a miniscule serving, lingering lonely on a large plate, upon which it was plated some time past, and kept warm in an oven. There were no extra helpings of anything: vegetables or meat, and the courses were served at different times to parts of different tables. The dessert was five profiteroles, again on a large plate, and lightly drizzled with chocolate sauce from a tube. The meal was washed down with unaccompanied tea and coffee.
The food service and quality provided was clearly of an unacceptable standard for a hotel of this standing. Many guests went to a lot of effort and considerable expense, into making this a special night. Anyone who is considering this hotel for a wedding or a special occasion should do so with caution, and perhaps negotiate guarantees from the management that their special day will not be marred by similar shortcomings.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- You are guaranteed the best of all worlds when you stay at the luxurious four star Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa Galway. Scenic Galway Bay views, luxury city centre hotel accommodation, excellent food, world class spirit one spa & leisure facilities, superb conference & meeting venue and elegant wedding facilities.Take advantage of some of Galway's great shopping streets, making it easy to explore the area's best attractions and fit some shopping in along the way! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Rezidor, TravelUp, Expedia, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and LateRooms so you can book your Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Radisson Blu Hotel And Spa, Galway
- Radisson Hotel Galway
- Radisson Galway
- Galway Radisson
- Radisson Blu Hotel Galway
- Radisson Sas Galway