2,894 results
All reviews the radisson blu a business class room eyre square lough atalia outdoor jacuzzi breakfast buffet thermal suite modern hotel city centre standard room shop street bar food visiting galway galway bay top class marinas ireland
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I've just come back from a two night stay in the Radisson Blu Hotel, Galway. Myself, my husband and our two children stayed in family room on the first floor but we were part of a larger family party staying for a weekend.

The family room was ok. It was divided in two so us adults had a bit of privacy from the children's beds which was a great idea, the whole space was quite small but not annoyingly so. I was, however, annoyed to see makeup stains on one of my children's pillow cases, I definately think the pillow case had been washed, but this stain just hadn't come out. I also had the worst night sleep the first night as behind our bed there must have been some sort of a service room as there was a loud humming sound which made it impossible to sleep. Yes, I could have complained, but we had quite a task even getting a family room in the first place as there weren't that many in the hotel, so I thought the chances of us being moved to a different room were slim to none. The second night I was exhausted so I swapped beds with one of my children and I slept better. My husband, who has no problem with noise whilst going to sleep, slept very well.

The breakfast buffet in the morning was very large, with plenty of choice for everyone. I wouldn't recommend the Irish breakfast though, none of us liked the quality of the bacon or sausages but the fresh fruit on offer was excellent. The scones were very dry but there is a large selection of bread so there are other choices. Overall I would say the breakfast is good as there is a huge choice but I've had much better breakfast in cheaper hotels so I wouldn't let that sway me in choosing to stay here.

Regarding food, we had the most awful food in the bar on the Sunday evening. We were very tired from walking around the cliffs of Moher and didn't fancy going anywhere for dinner so we decided to stay in the bar and order food there. My husband brought the children to McDonalds and I am so sorry I didn't go with him as the food I received was inedible. I ordered fish and chips and disregarding the fact that it cost an incredible 17 euro, the chips were cold and tasted like they had been reheated and the fish was swimming in a pool of grease. Another member of our party ordered the burger which he said tasted ok but again he couldn't eat the chips. The beef curry tasted quite good but again very expensive for bar food. I was so tired that evening that again I didn't complain, although I'm sure the waiting staff must have noticed our food was hardly touched. 17 euro wasted on nothing... Please consider going into Galway city for dinner as there are some wonderful restaurants that are quite reasonable in price too.

The last morning I went to the leisure centre to use the pool and found the facilities very good. The outdoor hot tub is brilliant, it's lovely to sit and relax there and you have a wonderful view over the water. The children loved the pool and my husband said the gym was good.

My feelings about the Radisson Blu hotel are not very positive, the leisure facilities were wonderful and it's proximity to Galway city are a definite plus. However, if you can't sleep, you can't enjoy your break and the last evening I was exhausted AND starving so I was pretty miserable so as you might have guessed I won't be staying there again. My McDonald's-fed children were happy though so it wasn't all bad I suppose. Galway is fantastic, there is so much to do, but we will be sleeping in a different hotel next time.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Galwayradissonblu, Sales & Marketing Executive at The Galmont Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I truly apologise for level of service that you received whilst staying with us. We let you down and there is nothing more I can say about this. You deserved 100% guest satisfaction and value for money and we did not deliver this to you on this occasion.

I appreciate that you were not happy to complain to management on the day, as you were trying to enjoy your break, however I would urge you to always bring such issues to management’s attention straight away, as we could have rectified these during your stay in the hotel.

Once again thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We have brought all of your points the attention of the General Manager who is looking into this matter personally. Should you be looking to holiday in Galway again in the future, we would be delighted to welcome you back and show you the true hospitality we are known for.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any further queries or if I can help in any way.

+353 91 538620

Reviewed 30 April 2011

We booked a suite which was just worth every cent we spent on it. (200 euros)
Huge room, huge bed, huge bathroom. Balcony and many amenities. In a word, wonderful!
Parking cost 3 euros, just in the area of the bus station.
Service was excellent, checkin very efficient (thanks to Steven). On departure we even got dirving tips to the Conemara and what to do and see there.
Breakfast was excellent too. On the top side of the Radisson's breakfast!
The location is great, within 5 minutes to the center and the pedestrian streets.
We didn't use the executive 5th floor lounge, so I can't comment on that.

Room Tip: Any suite on the 5th floor will do!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Level 5 is a real treat and I am so happy you were able to experience that luxury here at the Radisson Blu. Thank you very much for your kind words and we are thrilled to know that you were so impressed with your room and that you had a wonderful time with us in Galway.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 24 April 2011

We have just returned from 3 nights at the Radisson Galway. We had a standard double room with a view over the water. The view was slightly more industrial than I had expected but still certainly much nicer than views from a lot of city hotel rooms and it was nice! We had requested a water view room at the time of booking. The room was very nice and comfortable – the beds especially, so no complaints there. The only negative comment that we both had was that there were no robes in the bedrooms which we thought there should be given that it is a 4 star hotel with pool and spa facilities attached.

The lobby is bright and airy and there is a nice, large outdoor terrace area with a view over the water for relaxing with a few drinks over.

Breakfast was good. A nice selection of all the usual things that you would expect and the food was of good quality and tasty. There was also the option to have fresh fried eggs and omelettes prepared to order. On the last day the restaurant was full when we came down (maybe because it was Easter Sunday and a lot of people were staying on holidays?) so a breakfast area was set up in the bar area. It was handled quite well by the staff and was fairly well organised so there wasn’t a huge amount of disruption at all.

We found the staff to be helpful and generally friendly. We spoke to a few different staff members for advice on what restaurant and bars to go to and also what areas to visit by car outside of the city which was very helpful and they gave out maps.

Parking costs €3 per day which my husband and I think is not something that hotels should charge their guests for. But you don’t really have much choice on that front. However the parking facilities are underground, convenient and quite secure.

The location of the hotel is great. We were able to stroll in and out of town every day. It’s only a 2 minute walk to Eyre Square and a couple of minutes further on to the Latin Quarter. The ease of getting into town on foot was great.

We both used the gym – it was a reasonable size and perfectly sufficient for us. There were about 4 running machines (with individual TV screens), 4 cross trainers and a good range of other gym equipment plus a free weights area and a spot for floor walk. I don’t generally use hotel gyms so I don’t know what general expected levels of facilities are but I thought this was good. My husband used the pool and Jacuzzi and enjoyed it. He didn’t use the outdoor hot tub as he said it was set on a strange 10 minutes on and 10 minutes off cycle so he didn’t wait around for it.

We used the Spirit One Spa in the hotel one afternoon also. We went for the €99 Unwind Package which consisted of use of the Thermal Suite, a choice of Full Body Massage or Facial and also a 2 course lunch. We both opted for the 55 minute full body back massage and both were very happy with the massages – it was very relaxing and the staff were very nice. The Spa itself is a level below ground and quite dimly light so it felt very ambient and relaxing as soon as you walk in. There is also a relaxation area where you can sit before, after, during treatments and have tea/coffee/juices/fruits and read magazines. The Thermal Suite itself is nice although a little smaller than we were expecting, but very relaxing and easy to pass a good chunk of time in chilling out. They also leave magazines inside the Thermal Suite itself which is a nice touch. The staff were all very nice and very keen in encouraging us to take our time and relax using the facilities.

My only criticism of the package was the lunch element. When we took our vouchers into the hotel to have our lunch it was a self-serve buffet lunch. Now, I have nothing against buffets in principle – just to make that clear – I actually quite enjoy them most of the time. But a self-serve buffet (no matter how good the food may be) is a very different experience to waiter service from an a la carte menu. We were actually very disappointed and felt that the package was a little misleading – a “2 course lunch” in no way implies a buffet. As I say, I have nothing against buffets but this was meant to be part of a relaxing spa experience package and we were looking forward to a nice relaxing lunch in a typical restaurant environment. They should change the details of the package to clearly say “lunch buffet” rather than “2 course lunch” so at least we will know what we are getting. If we had known it was a buffet, then to be honest we probably wouldn’t have chosen the package as it’s not really that special an experience.

In addition, the service at the buffet was quite poor and was the only other negative experience that we really had of the hotel. The man who showed us to our table was a bit distracted in the initial moments on greeting us and then suddenly overly pre-occupied in getting our lunch vouchers off us, to the point where we were stood awkwardly in the middle of the restaurant fishing out the vouchers instead of being shown to our seats and getting the vouchers out in a more comfortable place, or instead of being asked to show them as soon as we arrived. It felt like he was suddenly concerned that we were chancing our arms for a free lunch or something and suddenly couldn’t take us any further until we proved that this wasn’t the case. It was busy when we first arrived but most people were finishing up so it wasn’t that busy for the majority of the time we were there i.e. there were quite a lot of vacant tables. Not once during our meal did anyone come to clear used plates from our table (and when you eat from a buffet you tend to collect quite a lot of plates throughout the duration) – if it had been exceptionally busy while we were there I would have understood this poor service a little more but that wasn’t the case. The waitress was going around cleaning and setting tables ready presumably for the dinner sitting, as there was no new flow of guests coming in from about the time we were approx. half way through our meal. So instead of checking that seated guests/diners were being attended to and having plates cleared etc, the waitress was off preparing tables for people that would be sitting down to eat several hours later. My husband asked for some chips with his dinner but they were not brought out to him until we had starting eating desserts. We checked out of the hotel and returned home after that so it was our last experience of the hotel and is a shame that it was a negative one given that everything else had been good. We also left feeling a bit misled as to the spa package that we had bought and disappointed by our lunch experience.

Room Tip: Look into the Carlson Club scheme
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed description of your stay with us. We appreciate all of your comments and are especially pleased that you were so happy with our breakfast, service of staff, leisure facilities, spa treatments and our location to the city centre.

Regarding your issue with Le Marche, Buffet Lunch, I was very upset to hear that your dining experience at lunch was so disappointing. I whole heartily agree that the staff members in the restaurant should have made you their priority, instead of setting tables for dinner service. This is not part of our 100% Guest Satisfaction policy and I am sorry we let you down. We have brought all of your points to the attention of management and will certainly relay this to our ground floor staff. Thank you also for recommending to change the lunch voucher to include 'buffet lunch', we will take this on board and change our vouchers accordingly.

It is a pity that we let you down on the day of your departure but I hope that overall your experience at the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway was a pleasant one.

We hope to welcome you back to Galway in the very near future.

Reviewed 20 April 2011

There were several things that we experienced that made the stay negative:

1. bad service when checking in: staff was unfriendly and very unflexible as we needed a 2 bed room for one night and wanted to change into a 3 bed the other night
2. when changing rooms, we had to fully queue and check in again the other night
3. when the keys for the rooms did not work the staff would not trust that we are guests - wrong keys of different rooms have been handed to us
4. staff did not smile / greet nor wish a nice evening
5. the spa called 6 times on my mobile as I assumed the bill would be paid when checking out and not seperately --> even though I have stated that and also that I would still be a guest in the hotel and pay next day to the spa, the spa would not stop calling me on my mobile during dinner for about 6 times
6. there was no food / no snacks around 1:30 till 4 pm
7. the CD-Player in the spa constantly got stuck at the 2nd song during a "relaxing" massage and I had to listen to the same song again and again
8. no entertainment on Saturday night even though it stated there will be a piano player
9. the tiles in the bathroom were lose

Some positive points:
1. Breakfast fresh and a good choice
2. location is close to town
3. the beds were comfortable

Room Tip: the location is ok
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nicolette S
Galwayradissonblu, Sales & Marketing Executive at The Galmont Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2011

Dear Guest,

I am very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. We pride ourselves on 100% Guest Satisfaction and our Yes I Can spirit, I am sorry we let you down on this occasion.

I can assure you that all of your comments have been taken on board including your issue with the spa and I know that you were to the Manager on Duty on the day regarding this. We want every guest to walk away happy and relaxed after a stay with us and I know that we have the ability to do that. I hope that you will take another chance on the Radisson Blu and let us show you the true hospitality we are known for.

Should you have any other queries or if you would like to speak with me personally, I will be more than happy to help.

+353 91 538620

Reviewed 20 April 2011

We stayed two nights as guests of the PSEU Conference - my wife is the volunteer treasurer of a development charity supported by public service staff. The hotel is handy for the railway station, a short walk past the Park House Hotel. We have usually stayed there when in Galway. The Radisson is newer, larger and every bit as good! It has a different style of course, probably attracting a younger clientele. But the reception, restaurant and banqueting were all first class. The bedroom is modern and comfortable. Service is top notch.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding your stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that you were so impressed with the hotel and that you are now a Radisson fan!

We appreciate your kind words and hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.