“Delicious food in tasteful surroundings”
Review of Kai

Kai
Ranked #28 of 540 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Australian, New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 July 2018

Three of us had dinner. Two had monkfish and one had turbot. We all loved it. My monkfish came with clams in a tasty sou/sauce in a bowl. The fish was beautifully cooked and succulent and the sauce, like a fine soup, was a perfect accompaniment to the brown soda seeded soda bread. Champ serviced as sides..mmmm. Desserts were good especially the lemon curd pie. A great find.

1  Thank Luz-star
Write a ReviewReviews (1,081)

Reviewed 15 July 2018

This is a small, unpretentious place that we discovered for lunch and we liked it so much we came back for dinner. All the food is imaginatively prepared and beautifully presented. It is like eating at the home of a great chef. The menu changes quite a bit from lunch to dinner. For lunch the favorite dish was fish fingers (delicately fried strips of fish) and at dinner it was the sumptuous steak. If we had been in Galway another day we would have eaten here again, it is that good.

1  Thank TravellingMan113
Reviewed 15 July 2018

I know my review title may well sound pretentious. And I'm far from a gourmet who samples the finest cuisine and best restaurants everywhere. But I do travel a lot for work and play and have eaten in some very good restaurants along the way. The recent meal that my wife, a few friends and I had was among the best I've ever had. It was recommended by a local whom I'll hug in gratitude if somehow we ever run into them again.

The restaurant does vary its menu regularly, so I supposed there's no guarantee that the dishes we had last week will still be on it. But the pork main and the dried lamb appetizer were out of this world, both far richer in nuanced waves of flavor than I can do justice to here. And the beef and turbot mains and crab-based and other appetizers were also superb. We all loved it all.

If I have a very slight caveats to offer on the place, one is that our waiter was a bit on the cool side. Not the same cheerful, effusive service we encountered throughout our two-week trip throughout Ireland. But he was certainly informative and professional, and certainly not unfriendly.

The other caveat is that such fine dining might normally be found in far fancier places in other countries, costing twice as much or more (not that Kai is inexpensive). So don't expect fine linen or whatever. But the casual nature of Kai is part of what we liked about the place.

Far more important, the overall dining experience, including that casual ambiance, was simply great. If you want to combine it with hearing some good Irish music, The Crane just a few doors away, is a pub that offers that.

Regardless, Kai is fantastic. If it were not our last night in Galway, we definitely would have returned for another meal.

1  Thank Southside
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

We visited Kai on the recommendation of a friend and were very happy we did. Its definitely worth a visit if you’re in Galway.
Beautiful dishes of local, seasonal food make up a daily menu with a choice for various diets. The decor is cosy and rustic and has a lovely atmosphere and ambience, which reflects the nature of style of food and the area of Ireland. The staff were really friendly and service great. We had to wait around 30 mins for a table but it was worth it. We had almond crusted Tofu and a goat dish. Both plates were delicious, vibrant and wholesome and at €12.50 really well priced for the quality.

1  Thank gburns83
Reviewed 13 July 2018

Even though we didn't have a reservation, they managed to squeeze us in. We had a delicious dinner of locally sourced food. The decor/design of the restaurant is very interesting.