“Bloody Rippa”

Price range: US$6 - US$29
Cuisines: Brew Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Oslo Bar in Salthill boasts the first and only Microbrewery in Galway which offers a great range of international beers, fresh food and a variety of novel evenings.With an ever changing menu the Oslo keeps people coming back to enjoy the many creative dishes inspiried by "in-season and fresh" ingredents. There is a wide range of international beers but while there you should try our own Bay Ale and Stormy Porter - brewed right on the premises.The front portion contains a comfortable range of eclectic furniture and the back part, set up with German beer garden style sturdy tables. The name Oslo itself comes from the Oslo Hotel which once encompassed the whole premises.Focused on food with a daily menu served from 12 until 10 daily. Select from a good range of interesting dishes. Enjoy the Weekend with brunch including Eggs Benedict and French toast which has fast become something of a Galway institution. An open fire and large comfortable smoking area tick a few more boxes making the Oslo a really great destination.
Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

Found by accident and could not have been happier. Great fish and chips. Some awesome beers. Friendly helpful staff and a great vibe. Great tunes playing and a vibrant energy.

Reviewed 18 November 2017

Been to this place loads of times on my visits to Galway. I don't claim that the food is anything special, but it's OK.The one thing I absolutely disagree with is criticism of the staff and the welcome you get. For me it's been unfailingly five star every time.

Reviewed 5 November 2017

The Oslo opens at 12noon, at 11.57 my friend and I were waiting outside with buggy & small child. 2 women rocked up and pushed to the front of the people outside (a small crowd had gathered), it transpired they were the waitresses. One of them with "trendy glasses" & dyed red hair had a cigarette in her hand and was standing waiting with it inches from my baby's face. Next the manager(?) opened the outer doors to open up but let the inner door shut behind her on the crowd outside rather than hold it open for the people outside. Bad start....but i have been to the Oslo on many occasions so I figured it would be fine once were in as the food is grand and the atmosphere & staff are normally good.

I was wrong, the service was awful from the two waitresses we had seen outside. The mains my friend and I ordered were ok, eggs benedict could have been cooked a little more, the egg whites were still a bit runny, my friend liked the burger and chips.

There is a decent children's menu but the quality was medium & every item is chargeable, e.g. grated cheese on pasta is an extra 1euro. Baby bowl on menu for 2euro. In a lot of places a baby bowl is free if adults are ordering main courses but i am ok to pay for it. A baby bowl is normally some kind of vegetable soup with mashed potato and considering it was actually on the menu and there was a charge, I assumed it would be this. I should not have made this assumption... the soup was Blue Cheese & Parmesan!! No mention of this when i ordered it and my baby was retching when I started to feed him. So I asked for plain mashed potato which sat at the collection point for a good 10 minutes before I went up and asked for it. When I explained to the red haired waitress about the soup she pretty much argued with me that a baby bowl is just whatever soup is on + mash... fair enough normally but blue cheese soup for an infant? Should this not have been mentioned when we were ordering? I was not charged for the baby bowl in the end and the manager was apologetic in fairness to her but the blond and red haired waitresses could really do with some better people skills.

I like this pub/resto normally, I think the staff majorly let it down today.

1  Thank CarolineNi
Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

Just had breakfast here, could not be worse. From the waitress with attitude to the muck on the plate, its a place best avoided. What kind of moron cooks the smoked salmon...hire a chef or cook who doesn't think grease is a flavour please.

1  Thank Alan O
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

Had heard good things about this place but management need to do a lot of work to make me want to go back. 2 staff on a bank holiday Friday lunch time was lunacy and beyond infuriating. Kept calling the waitress and she acknowledged us but never actually came over except to drop our food over 40 mins after we ordered, then reordered cos the bar girl just didn't put it through. For the prices they charge I would expect an awful lot better. :(

2  Thank Ciara M