“Disappointing food.”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We were looking forward to a good seafood dinner unfortunately we were both disappointed with both of our meals.
I ordered the wild prawns to start,when the dish arrived it was so salty it totally dominated the prawns and accompanying oily salad. The waitress took the dish back to the kitchen with apologies and said she would get a fresh one, the second prawn starter when it arrived was better and the waitress again apologized and said there had been a mistake in the kitchen!
For mains I ordered the monkfish with mussels wild leek and champ. The dish was served on a large soup plate in a watery cream sauce. It was nicely cooked and tasty but when the “champ”was served it consisted of small cubes of deep fried potatoes with chopped spring onions on top and was extremely salty and inedible.
Champ is an Irish dish which is traditionally potatoes mashed with warm milk,butter and spring onions. Oscars version was not champ in my opinion.
My companion had mussels for main course and also felt the cream and wine sauce very salty.
I was offered a glass of wine on the house but declined as I was driving. The prawn starter was not charged on our bill.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,259)

Reviewed 9 October 2018 via mobile

What a pleasant surprise. In the West End of Galway, just a short distance from the main tourist area but has that neighbor hood feel. The food was excellent! Oysters were out of this world and ordered a 2nd portion they were so good. The fish of the day was also really good. The mussels were also delicious. Service was also very good and our waitress was friendly and attentive. The only criticism is that they do not have a coat check so after arriving on a rainy night, we had to store coats on the bench which made the area a bit crowded. Would go back and highly recommend to anyone who wants a local seafood experience.

Reviewed 9 October 2018 via mobile

we found there were very few gluten free options. We went with high expectations after reading all the positive write ups. My wife ordered oysters and said they were nothing special in comparison to what we get back in Australia. Nothing really for my 11yo son and not much in the way for me. The service was Ok, however didnt even ask if there was anything my son or I wanted to order. If it was if we werent even their!!

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

You must go here. Make reservations. The food is great and the staff very receptive to all needs. It was a special evening.

Reviewed 7 October 2018

WOW!!! We absolutely loved our dinner! Romantic ambiance and helpful and friendly service. The seafood was so fresh and seasoned to perfection. We highly recommend you book reservations, since it is a very popular restaurant!