“Just Superb”

Price range: US$4 - US$24
Description: Local/Universal
Description: Local/Universal
Reviewed 7 September 2017

Cant say enough good things about this spot. After a warm welcome we were seated and served immediately. Our server was really attentive without being overly in our space. just enough. Teriyaki Steak cooked to perfection, melt in the mouth rich chocolate cake. proper modern fusion menu, nicely priced, and a great contemporary drinks menu. ticked all the boxes, highly recommended!

Reviewed 2 September 2017

This is a great establishment. I have been here many times in recent months and am greatly impressed every time. It comes with a distinctive interior, a savvy front-of-house team and truly imaginative cooking. The sophisticated drinks menu is a bonus.
The kitchen uses local produce and the dishes are both innovative and delicious. The welcoming and knowledgeable staff are always more then willing to guide you through both the food and drinks on offer. I could not recommend this place highly enough.

Reviewed 27 August 2017

I heard really good things about the food but it was even better than I expected! There is a good balance of small dishes and larger meals and it's reasonably priced considering the standard of the food! There's a grand group of strapping men working there doing all the cooking and waiting and have a wealth of knowledge between them when it comes to cocktails, wines and craft beers. Literally can't fault the place!

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

I had heard great things about The Universal prior to visiting; cool vibe, nice cocktails, yummy tapas. But honestly, great would be an understatement. The Universal is, hands down, the coolest bar in Galway right now. Myself and some friends popped down one Friday night and from the second you enter, you are immediately to a truly unique synergy. This boozer has is all going on. From the rustic walls to the funky artwork, the minimalist furniture to the 90's hip hop on the soundsystem, this gastropub would not be out of place in Dublin, London or Brooklyn.
We were greeted promptly by a server with the most outrageously magnificent Paisley shirt I have ever seen. All boxes are so far ticked. We take our seats and are presented with our menus. This is where The Universal takes the leap from trendy to special. The food menu is so inspired and eclectic. One can see influences from home and abroad, elements from France, the Mediterranean and Japan. The wine menu is concise but varied with a real focus on quality. All the beers and ales are Irish craft beers (with the exception of Guinness but I suppose that is the original craft beer). And the cocktails...... OMG the cocktails!! So many Gin Basil Smashes. The Junior also. Just so yummy. With regards food, we grabbed a few small plates. The goat cheese corn pancakes and the monkfish maki roll are quite possibly the nicest things I have ever eaten in a bar. Seriously, I just do not have enough superlatives to describe this place. The service was also fantastic. All the stall really look like they enjoy being there.

I well and truly feel I have found my new local.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

The Universal is a Brooklyn-in-Galway kind of place, with spare surroundings, craft cocktail bar and beers, cool music and pared-down but serious menu. The air and attitude is informal but it takes itself seriously enough that anyone can have a nice meal and a good drink with friends. It's not an Irish pub the way they used to be, but it probably is what they are going to be in the future, if that makes sense.

We had the chumpsteak out of curiosity and it was very good. Highly seasoned and well-cooked, it was beautifully plated and accompanied by matchstick veg that were delicious. I felt a bit too old and un-hip to hang out for long, but I am sure that as the evening wore on it was packed with people who enjoyed it even more than I did.

1  Thank withkidstravel