“Nice Old Hotel, Historical Harbour Front Location”
Review of Royal Marine Hotel

Royal Marine Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Dun Laoghaire
Reviewed 4 December 2017

Very nice old hotel, but you are actually in Dun Laoghaire & would have preferred to be more in the city centre. The rooms were very dark, which was good for sleeping but are to truly enjoy. Very good meals at the hotel, had the lamb burger which was quite good. Staff were friendly, courteous & attentive. Rooms were clean, neat & tidy. To go in to town there is a rail service nearby but we took other transit. The harbor front was very quiet, very little activity going on along the waterfront nor in the downtown area. Not much around the hotel to take in, but enjoy your stay & use their amenities. Was part of our bus tour & was disappointed that they selected this hotel with its historical guests & stories but not what we wanted in Dublin.

Room Tip: Rooms were very quiet & dark.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Conrad S
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2017

Dear Conrad S,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and thank you for all of your nice comments about your experience with us. We hope that you enjoyed the remainder of your visit to Ireland and had a safe journey home also.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Dublin again soon.

Aryan@royalmarine.ie

Write a ReviewReviews (2,216)

Reviewed 3 December 2017

I made this booking well in advance. I was attending a function in Dun Laoghaire and just needed a bed for the night.

I last stayed in the Royal Marine about twenty years ago, and remembered the lovely location and views.

Firstly, I could not find the entrance. I did not see any signs. I drove around the block twice and had to phone the hotel for directions.

The underground car park was a nightmare. even though I was driving a short wheelbase vehicle, I had to do several reverse manouvres to go from one level to the next. The car park was very full and I had to go down to level 3. There was no lift to reception from any of the lower levels, just concrete stairs, and long corridors to a lift from level -1 to reception.

I was charged €152 for a nondescript room, with just one (large) bed, admittedly with a balcony, but with views over internal walls. The former open hotel grounds are now surrounded by equally high buildings, which considerably narrows any sea views.

Returning to the hotel around 1 am the narrow non automated main entrance door was obstructed by a congregation of not to sober smokers.

Next morning I was shocked to find that parking was not included in my very high room rate. The machine scanned my ticket and announced a charge of €45 for overnight parking. To add insult to injury, the machine does not accept credit cards, or €50 notes, so I was forced to make the long trek back to reception, firstly to query the high charge and secondly to reluctantly pay it.

I will not be coming back.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear seanm879,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay and experience at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. Thank you for all of your comments which we are pleased to address and hopefully resolve for your benefit and the benefit of other reviewers on Trip Advisor also. I am sorry that you had difficulty locating our hotel entrance. Our main entrance is located on Marine Road in Dun Laoghaire and is signalled by prominent signage on both sides of our main entrance gate.

Our underground car park has four levels in total and is complimentary for all guests staying in the hotel. The hotel car park operates a one way system and stairs and ramps bring all users to the basement of the hotel which there is lift access to the main reception area. Accessible parking bays are in place for accessible users on the 1st level of the carp park. It is unclear whether our staff were aware that you had a car with you when checking out and they may have simply believed that you had just parked in the hotel car park overnight when this was queried. I would be very happy to provide you with a full refund for your parking fee if you would like to contact me directly here at the hotel.

Thank you for highlighting your experience to us and I hope that we will have the opportunity to correct this matter for you.

I look forward to heating from you soon.

Reviewed 3 December 2017

We felt the hotel was quite poor, at most a 3 star hotel. It is a lovely location but the hotel is looking very dated throughout. As it was our anniversary I had booked an Executive Room with a King sized bed & a bowl of fruit for the weekend. There was no bowl of fruit albeit they did take that of the bill but the King Sized bed was just two twin beds put together with a sheet across. When I queried this I was told this was industry standard but I have checked with friends in the hospitality industry and this is clearly not the case. The twin beds were not even attached as you can see. When I raised this at reception apart from being told this was normal they initially they dismissed me because I didn't bring this to their attention straight away. I got no satisfaction from the management and I paid for a King Sized room which I didn't get

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear 729bom,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. Thank you for your comments on your stay which I am grateful to have the opportunity to respond to. It appears that you were provided with an Executive King sized room and bed and this is made up of Zip and Link beds which are indeed a well known industry standard. Our staff were honest in informing you of this, however I am sorry that this was less than satisfactory for you and did not suit your needs.

The hotel continues to invest heavily in improving and maintaining all aspects of our product and we would welcome any other suggestions or feedback that you may have in this regard as this helps us to really examine our guest expectations so that we can constantly adapt to changing guest requirements.

We hope that you will have another opportunity to visit us again soon in Dun Laoghaire and I would be very pleased to assist you in making the arrangements for your next stay and in allocating a room and bed that suits your requirements better.

Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

This hotel is okay but not what I expected . I had much higher expectations.

We stayed here for one night when hotel was fully booked up . We checked in at 3:30pm and our room was not ready so was told to come in 30 mins,we only had to return to Ger our key . We got some food and went back to quiet a big queue and we were unfortunately told we had to queue out again. This took maybe 20 mins and this was not ideal as we had to be out of the hotel sharp to get to a match in Dublin City . I just though after we had checked out we should not have had to re-queue again for something that was beyond our control.

The check in staff were very busy and understaffed in my opinion on this day. Bar food was lovely and staff pleasant .

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christina_Barry
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2017

Dear Christina_Barry,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. Thank you for your positive and constructive comments on your stay with us and we appreciate the time you have taken to detail your experience with us. We are constantly looking at ways to improve our check in service when large numbers of individuals present for check in at the same time and we continue to work to find adequate solutions to make this a better experience for our guests.

We hope that you will have another opportunity to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 24 November 2017

At most, this is a 3 star hotel.
Positives
I wanted a quiet room and this I did get. I was booked in a room on the 4th floor but requested a room in the old building, floors 5 and 6, which I got.
I had not requested a room with a front view however I did get one. Although I spent minimal time in the room, the view was very pleasant and welcomed.
Ironing facilities were available in the room.
Check-in and exit was prompt.
Staff were most courteous and I suggest that they are the hotel’s greatest asset.

Negatives
I had a heavy suitcase and had to stagger up steps to reach reception. When leaving I found out that there was a ramp for wheel chair access but it was pretty dingy and not obvious to find.
The rooms were adequate for one person but the bathroom was tiny. Lighting was an issue and a strip of LED bulbs over the mirror could have been a big improvement.
Pity the breakfast bacon was so overdone. Otherwise breakfast was adequate.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
ManagerRoyalMarine, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2017

Dear cab68,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Marine Hotel on Trip Advisor. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your room experience and thank you for your other comments about the lighting which we appreciate. Thank you for constructive comments also on the remainder of your stay which we appreciate. Thank you also for mentioning our hard working staff who are indeed our greatest asset.

I hope that you will have another opportunity to visit us again soon in Dun Laoghaire.

aryan@royalmarine.ie

9.4 km away
Clontarf Castle Hotel
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#3 of 152 in Dublin

Been to Royal Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!