“Exceeded our expectations”

Locks
Ranked #77 of 2,913 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$25 - US$40
Cuisines: Irish, Contemporary
Description: Locks at One Windsor Terrace is a new restaurant along the spectacular setting of the canal in Portobello, Dublin 8. The menu is modern Irish with a focus on top quality food at an affordable price.
Reviewed 7 October 2018

I attended a private birthday party here on Friday night in one of the upstairs rooms for 24 guests and we had the most amazing evening. I'll get onto the food in a bit but the first thing I have to say is the service team here were superb, from the moment we arrived to the fond farewell (in the early morning) the staff couldn't have done enough for us and believe me, we were high maintenance. They allowed us dress the room (moderately), the tables, bring our own music, handle gifts, coats, numerous drink requests, and all without skipping a beat. Our main server was Anita and I have to give her special praise for all her superb hard work and patience. Once seated the service was smooth and precise, the wine/water flowed and nothing was amiss. Little hot Cod Brandade croquettes appeared once our orders were taken along with delicious breads accompanied by smoked salmon butter (simply delicious). My starter of Beef Carpaccio with Smoked Eel was beautifully presented and lived up to it's billing with excellent textures and little bits of crunch throughout the dish. A perfect amount of time between starter and main was allowed and my Rib Eye requested med-rare was perfection. Accompanied by crisp onion rings, mushroom, duck fat chips (excellent) and a delicious Bearnaise sauce this couldn't have been better. My partner had Salt Marsh Duck and the flavour was excellent. I would be delighted to return to Locks again soon for a more intimate dinner without the family but if another major celebration comes along soon I couldn't think of anywhere delivering this type of culinary excellence for a large group. Well done Locks, you really over delivered on a very special night for the family, thank you.

3  Thank Lobster1974

Reviewed 3 October 2018

Locks is a 15 minute walk south of the city centre, overlooking the Grand Canal. The menu is interesting without being over the top and should cater to all tastes. If you stay with the 2 or 3 course set menu its good value. If you go a la carte the sundries add up. Food was well executed and presented. The staff were efficient and courteous although a bit pushy with the wine glass refills. A minor complaint. Worth a detour.

Reviewed 2 October 2018

Dined recently in Lock's with a family group. The restaurant is situated along the Grand Canal bank, so the location is excellent, especially in summer. This restaurant has a 92% excellent or very good rating among TripAdvisor subscribers, so this gives a good idea that while a meal there may not excite, it will satisfy. On this occasion, in a private room, the service was prompt and friendly. All our party enjoyed their respecive meals. I started with the Homemade sourdough, Smoked Trout and Dillisk Butter - very tasty. For my main I had the Salt Aged Rib Eye with Duck Fat Chiprs, Onion Rings and Mushroom. I found the steak to be that little bit too fatty, so because it was small, I did not get as much joy from it as I would have liked. The chips and onion rings were excellent. I enjoyed a very tasty dessert - a pear mousse - but perhaps not good for the cholesterol levels. In fairness, some of the others had the Rib Eye and found theirs to be excellent. Overall, the party were very happy with the fare served up. Locks is middle of the road pricewise - the Sample Market Menu offers excellent value, while the a la carte is a bit more pricey without necessarily breaking the bank. Certainly would go again. One slight flaw. There is no restaurant car parking, so its paid parking on the street outside and regular trips outside to feed the meter.

Reviewed 24 September 2018 via mobile

I was at Locks with some friends, we had nice bottles of wine, food was good, but service was a little slow. The restaurant wasn’t full, just 5 tables and I think the floor staff could be more attentive and fast.
By the way we had nice dishes and I’m happy to be back at Locks

Reviewed 13 September 2018

As always, when I go to a new city I check Trip advisor to see where you all suggest to eat. You've never let me down yet.

Locks was no exception, this slightly out of the way restaurant is worth the travel any day of the week.

Great service, knowledgeable and professional staff, tables are plenty big enough and a refreshing change not trying to cram in more tables than is comfortable so you have room to eat and relax.

As for the food, I think I can say without a doubt, the best Ive ever had in Ireland, let alone Dublin. From the home made butter with a smoked salmon and a gentle smokiness running through to the home made soda bread, delicious. Slow roasted short rib with the tenderest ribeye, veggies and fabulous chips cooked in duck fat.... divine. Peanut butter tart and banana butter milk ice-cream fabulous.

Service was impeccable, courteous but not pushy or over powering, there's a fews Michelin restaurants that could learn a few lessons here.

All topped of with a fabulous bottle or wine.

Go again, you bet .....loved every mouthful.

Thank you Locks for making Sunday Lunch one of the highlights of our visit to Dublin.

1  Thank Chris P