“Badly let down by poor service”

Curry House ranelagh
Ranked #1,214 of 2,639 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$21 - US$42
Reviewed 13 November 2016 via mobile

4 of us - 2 couples - visited this restaurant. Our friends had given it a glowing report based on a previous visit.

I rang ahead the previous day to explain that, due to a recent medical condition, I would not be able to eat spices or a range of other ingredients, and to ask if it would be possible to have simple grilled chicken with boiled rice and a side salad, and I was assured that that would be possible.

Despite the fact that it was a Saturday evening, the restaurant was practically empty when we arrived - a bad omen. When one member of our party attempted to order slow-cooked lamb shank, he was told that it was not available as it was "too slow" to cook. I explained my dietary needs again, and we agreed that I would have simple grilled prawns as a starter, and grilled chicken with boiled rice and salad as a main course.

We were not offered a drinks menu, and my friend had to go over to the bar counter - where the waiter was standing - to get a jug of water.

When our starters arrived, they looked nice. But my prawns were highly spiced. Normally, I would be delighted with this, but could not eat them in the circumstances.

The single waiter was nowhere to be seen for several minutes, but when he returned and I explained what was wrong, he denied that I had ever told him that I could not eat spices! Despite the fact that it was the first thing I had said to him, and I had three witnesses!

He said that he would replace the prawns for me. As the others had already finished their starters, I said that at this stage, I'd skip the prawns and go ahead to the main course. Then he informed me that the chicken had been marinated in spices/garlic/lemon - ingredients which I would normal love but which are out of bounds for me at present.

I explained that I had also rung the previous day to check if it would be possible to order food suitable to my medical needs. He replied that I had rung "too early; the chef wasn't in." When I said that I'd rung him after 5pm (in fact, it was about 6pm; three previous attempts to get through earlier in the day were unsuccessful), he said "I forgot".

He said that the only un-spiced dish I could be given as a main course was grilled prawns - the very dish which had been served up to me, spiced! At this stage, we decided to cut our losses, paid for what our group had eaten, and left.

Needless to say, we will not be going back.

Reviewed 16 October 2016

Me and my partner should probably have realised there's something wrong with the place if all the other restaurants on the street are full and this is half empty... When entering the restaurant only four tables were occupied and served by two waiters. The waiters were all over the place, nothing got done, no questions were answered, we waited 25min just to order even though we were the only ones who had not ordered yet. We were not offered drinks menus even after we especially asked for them, so we got them our selves after ordering our food. A group of about 8 people had their order completely messed up and understandably refused to pay the full price in the end. Instead of apologising or offering refund, the male waiter proceeded to argue with the group. During our wait several people left without even ordering, apparently put off by the ignorance of the staff and the overall unprofessional atmosphere. Our starters were ok but when our mains finally arrived, my chana masala was a tin of chickpeas in water dumped in a bowl and heated. A disgrace! In this stage we decided to leave, paid for what we had had so far though, no compensation was offered. Also there was no functioning lights in the toilet? We won't be back!

1  Thank Kebab89
Reviewed 15 October 2016 via mobile

I visited this restaurant in early October and I was literally in shock by the actions of waiters in the restaurant.
I have never wrote a review before but I had to let people know about this restaurant.

Firstly I ordered my meal and waited over 50 minutes for it to arrive cold, when I told the waiter he ran back to the kitchen and put our food in the microwave, anyway the food was awful and bland, but was also different temperatures as the microwave didn't heat the bottom of the dishes.

This was only the beginning thou, as a table next us had issues with their food also, and instead of the waiter handling the issue professionally, a huge argument broke out in the restaurant which involved staff and customers (from different tables) having a shouting match in the middle of the restaurant with foul language and insults being used by both parties.

At one point I actually thought it was an episode of faulty towers it was such a disaster.

Also to finish the review our bill was €46
For two curries (only one eaten)
And one soft drink.
Food: bad
Service: worse
Management: abysmal

1  Thank jim78nm
Reviewed 29 August 2016

I found that Curry house is a beautiful Indian Restaurant to come and to enjoy the delicious Indian dishes. The ambience in the restaurant appears really calm and soothing for the mind. The dishes that we ordered like Kadai paneer, butter naan and starter seekh kebab were really nice and delicious. The staff working there are very polite and friendly. They always keeps a warm welcome smile on there face which is really good. I will definitely go back to this restaurant to have some good Indian food.

Reviewed 16 August 2016 via mobile

I came here with my partner for dinner after a recommendation in the Irish Times news. We are don't eat meat, but there was so much vegetarian and fish to choose from. We both chose the tandoori salmon and which was presented beautifully , in a very artsy way with a truly amazing salad in the side, made using the spiralizer. This was a lovely touch! We ordered a few vegetable sides that all tasted amazingly fresh with beautiful flavours. My cucumber Rita was garnished with red onion, coriander and fennel seeds too. Stunning flavours! We had the homemade pistachio kulfi ice cream for dessert which they presented with raspberry sorbet. This was delicious and then they gave us a complimentary Baileys to wash it down with. The staff were softly spoken and so friendly. We were made to feel very comfortable and not rushed. We are from London but would recommend you to go here if you have a car or can be dropped by taxi as its in South Dublin (we were staying in North Dublin by the arena).