“Afternoon tea ”

The Shelbourne Hotel
Ranked #150 of 2,912 Restaurants in Dublin
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I took afternoon tea here with family for a birthday. I cannot recommend it highly enough. The ambiance is perfect, the decor is stunning and the pianist was exceptional. All of the food and pastries were made fresh in the premises and were exquisite. Service was fantastic and presentation was wonderful. Those with birthdays are presented with a small dessert platter. Definitely an experience. I would definitely recommend!

Reviewed 8 October 2018

The location, right across from St. Stephens Green and very close to Grafton St. is an ideal base for exploring Dublin, and within easy walking distance of shopping, dining and most historical sites. Walking in the door to the Shelbourne, held open by friendly doormen welcoming you back, from the busy street out front is like walking into a different era, with elegant decor and timeless style.

1  Thank nightowl205
Reviewed 26 September 2018

We spent a lovely, overcast afternoon sipping tea and indulging in scrumptious treats. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable. A great mother-daughter experience and one of the highlights of our trip to Dublin.

1  Thank Donnabello
Reviewed 24 September 2018 via mobile

Afternoon Tea at the Shelbourne Hotel - A Renaissance Hotel - is to be an experience. Afternoon Tea is for the ambience and the service.
I will be specific. Our Server was Charolette The Tea was 3 PM on September 24th.
First, after being seated, Charolette advises us of the menu and that that teas and coffees are part of the experience.
The impression is the opportunity to enjoy and taste.
Almost immediately the gentleman working with Charolette collects the menus.
My experience is that often they will leave one menu to review and discuss. Or, in better restaurant the server will return and inquiry at later upon an the empty glass in front of her.
Again and again, I had to ask for my cup to be refreshed.
Finally, I realize that I am not going to be presented with a menu. I ask to see a menu to vary my experience.
My wife continually has to ask for glass of water refills. She stopped at the cup of Earl Gray.
Charolette was arbitrary in her service the table to the right of us seemed to be served better - not well but better.
The table behind me appeared upset with delays and lack of service.
Continually, Charolette walks by us inattentive.
In an institution such as Shelbourne, my experience is that they would never allow dirty dishes to remain in front of the customer. Dishes are replaced as needed.
I watch as one of the servers irons one of tablecloths in front of us. First, in front of customer. Secondly, that Shelbourne and Marriott do not replace the top cloth. Reusing dirty linen, reflects very poorly on the Marriott tradition of quality.
I would truly expect better. I understand that there is one more seating but again where is the ambience of Shelbourne.
A number of times, I try to gain the attention of Charolette and the gentleman and literally they look through me.
My wife wants order a cocktail. I want to a coffee. Nothing. She wants a water. Nothing.
We sit there. I want leave for an appointment. We are watching them clear the tables. Others seem to receive checks. Charolette continues to busy herself fussing with cups just to the right of us.
This is not a place to speak loudly. Nor should be a place that I have to get up and ask for a check.
Charolette does come over and ask if we wish to take home. The box arrives. Charolette disappears before I can ask for check.
I put my card on the table to hint to any server we are prepared to leave.
This process begins at 4:20 and finally another server Whose attention I obtain finally allows us to pay the bill. It is @4:45.
The sandwiches and deserts were not exceptional. But, as I said before Shelbourne afternoon tea should be -well, tea at the Shelbourne.

I write this review in hopes Marriott’s catering manager and general manager realize that they have a problem with the service and overall experience that their patrons are receiving. I will not return and will not be recommending this to establishment to friends or family in the future.

1  Thank John Thomas Hot... S
Reviewed 22 September 2018 via mobile

Arrived with the Mrs and high expectations. Was not disappointed on both counts.
Had a pint in the opulent bar before being greeted and seated in the Lord Mayors Suite for tea.
A very comprehensive tea menu is presented before a 4 tier tray laden with visual treats.
Started with the sammiches.
The goats cheese is Devine. The chicken and avocado roll is sublime and soft AF.
Egg mayo and cress is a classic.
The desserts were excellent- the teas were very good and served in real silver pots. Pinkies our dontcha know.
Service was beyond reproach - Khulan looked after us - very attentive with a knack for making people feel welcome and at ease.

Will go back - and bring the kids this time.
Great experience.