New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

ely wine bar
Ranked #170 of 2,455 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$29 - US$37
Cuisines: Irish, European, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: South City Centre
Description: Since 1999, the iconic ely wine bar has paved the way for engaging, rewarding and fantastic value wines in Dublin. Not only characterised by its extensive list of 100 wines by the glass, 400 by the bottle, it's also loved for its melt-in-the-mouth organic beef, organic pork and "Craggy Island" lamb - sourced through ely's organic family farm in The Burren, Co. Clare.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Super Food and Great Wine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

Super Food and Great Wine - with great atmosphere and beautiful wine by the glass

“great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

Whilst the food was excellent, it was the service that stood out here. Some of the waiting staff were young visiting foreigners but they took to their task with gusto. And were not in a hurry to kick us out after a long leisurely lunch!

1 Thank Mick M
Dublin, Ireland
“Food Good, But Lacking Overall”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

How to sum our experience up? ...well, we never really felt welcome, and we had to try get attention for service several times. We just couldn't warm to the place at all. The food was decent though. Tasty chicken dish for my wife and a good steak for me, done the way I like. Food was hot and well presented. The over all pretentiousness of the place would stop me going back, even though the food was good. Pity.

Visited July 2011
Dublin
“Great eating venue in Dublin - where locals go to relax, have a glass of wine and have delicious meal either formally at table o”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

Well worth a visit - make this a complete night out with meal and wine in Ely followed by drinks in local pubs.

Greystones, Ireland
“Consistently good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

My wife and I went here to celebrate my birthday. It's an old favourite but one we haven't been to in a while.

We had a table booked and arrived on time but we didn't want a table on the ground floor as the basement has much more atmosphere. They happily accommodated our request and we took a seat at the bar while they sorted it out. Before we had a chance to order something to drink we were whisked away to our table. Very prompt!

The big selling point of the Ely is the huge wine list. We perused the list while having a glass of champagne. The staff are very knowledgeable and were able to recommend a wine that was a great compromise between the Margret River white I wanted and Sauvingnon Blanc preferred by my wife!

Food was very good. My pork terrine starter was a little disappointing although still very tasty. The monkfish main was amazing and the risotto with which is was served as cooked to perfection! Unfortunately the wine was so good, I can't for the life of me remember what my wife ate, but she cleared her plate too!

Desserts were quite good, I nice sharp chocolate tart for me, cheesecake for my wife. Coffee and liquors to finish and a bill that for us represented great value for money.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
elywinebar, Online Marketing at ely wine bar, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Thank you so mu much for taking the time to share your experience of the evening with us. Hope to see you again in 2012.