“Disappointed”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 4 May 2015

I usually write only good reviews - "if you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all" - but I feel I must write about our experience at this restaurant. Six of us planned a day ahead to get a dinner and then get to the Theater by 7:00 p.m. to see "The Field". We were told we couldn't get a dinner reservation until 5:30 p.m., were herded upstairs, and then left alone with our menus. We had told the waiter that we were in a hurry to get to the Theater, and, when he returned, we ordered from the "Theater" part of the menu, which consisted of 2 courses: an appetizer and a main course. The appetizer took an incredibly long time to arrive, and the main course took even longer. We had to rush through our main meal, and practically run to the Theater to arrive on time. I had only ordered the cannelloni appetizer for my meal, as I was not very hungry. The cannelloni consisted of mealy hamburger-like bits, topped with bland red sauce and some cheese.

4  Thank Jo C

Reviewed 29 April 2015

We spent two nights at a nearby hotel and ended up eating dinner at Il Primo because it was close by and their reviews were impressive.

1st Mistake: - we did not have reservations and we were told they were booked when we walked in the door. We said no problem - and turned around to leave - we were literally chased down and told they had one table in the corner and it would be "no problem" to squeeze us into it.

2nd Mistake: We wanted cocktails and/or beer --- their wine list left me wanting much more. They couldn't provide us with anything we requested.

3rd Mistake: Our waiter asked if he could start us off with water and no sooner had I replied "Yes", he popped the top of a 5 euro bottle of still water . . . tap water would have been fine and what we expected.

4th Mistake: I ordered the "Crab" lasagne at the urging of our waiter. Crab? I think not --- it looked and tasted suspiciously like salmon. My husband loves crab and offered to swap his cannelloni (which he was disappointed in) for my lasagne. I agreed and then found out why he was so disappointed in his meal. It looked and tasted like fine taco meat in a pasta tube. He wasn't pleased with my lasagne either.

5th Mistake: The desserts were just dessert. Nothing to write home about and I wished I had saved the euros.

I LOVE Italian food - it is my absolute favorite so Il Primo was a true disappointment. We all left wondering who is writing the 4+ star reviews for this restaurant.

Reviewed 12 April 2015

We had a voucher and usually expect that we will be treated accordingly. However we were pleasantly surprised. The food was plentiful, and beautifully presented by a very professional waitress. The wine, although there was only a choice of one red or one white, was really very good. The only downside in Il Primo, and we have been here before, is that it is cramped and not in a cosy way, there is always a wait person hurtling past your table in a fairly small space. But overall we would highly recommend this restaurant, not for an intimate occasion however. Good for vegetarians, superior alternatives than offered by most restaurants.

Reviewed 5 April 2015

Read the previous mixed bag of comments

Our meal was terrific
Did the early bird 3 course and it was great

Smoked haddock bruschetta was outstanding as was a large plate of asparagus risotto

Raspberry tiramisu finished us off in style

All in all high value and delicious food--- for us

Your results may vary

Reviewed 29 March 2015

I read the reviews on this site before I went for my meal with my RT voucher. I was concerned, to say the least. However, to those of you who still have their vouchers, I would like to allay your fears. I had a very pleasant meal, in the main dining room, with great service. We opted for the early sitting at 5pm (and to be honest, I would have preferred to be made aware of the restrictions on booking BEFORE I bought the voucher) and had a lovely table at the window. Service was prompt, friendly and more than helpful. We had the option of buying a different bottle of wine from the menu, and taking the 'offer' wine home with us - which I think is fair - and this is what we did. We order the smoked haddock crostini and ham hock bruschetta, both of which were fine, if in need of more black pepper. We followed with parma ham pizza and beef cannelloni, again both were acceptable. We had deserts (the slice of cheesecake was huge) and I had a (really) delicious latte to finish. In all the food was fine - not 'write home about' good, but certainly not terrible. We paid E34 for our bottle of wine, E3 for the coffee and a tip for the lovely waitress and took a bottle of the white wine home.
I have tried lots of RT vouchers for all sorts of things (suits, nights away, other restaurants) and I have never felt like I was being treated differently to a 'regular' customer, and I was certainly made welcome here with this voucher.
I have tried Il Primo a few times before, and have always enjoyed the experience. I won't be rushing out to tell my friends this is a wonderful spot, but on the flip side I wouldn't warn anyone away either. The food was fine, but the location is a little out of the way for me, and there are plenty of other places in town where I can spend the same money and get great food.