“Our dinner was top notch”
Review of Il Primo - CLOSED

Il Primo
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 April 2015

Read the previous mixed bag of comments

Our meal was terrific
Did the early bird 3 course and it was great

Smoked haddock bruschetta was outstanding as was a large plate of asparagus risotto

Raspberry tiramisu finished us off in style

All in all high value and delicious food--- for us

Your results may vary

Reviewed 29 March 2015

I read the reviews on this site before I went for my meal with my RT voucher. I was concerned, to say the least. However, to those of you who still have their vouchers, I would like to allay your fears. I had a very pleasant meal, in the main dining room, with great service. We opted for the early sitting at 5pm (and to be honest, I would have preferred to be made aware of the restrictions on booking BEFORE I bought the voucher) and had a lovely table at the window. Service was prompt, friendly and more than helpful. We had the option of buying a different bottle of wine from the menu, and taking the 'offer' wine home with us - which I think is fair - and this is what we did. We order the smoked haddock crostini and ham hock bruschetta, both of which were fine, if in need of more black pepper. We followed with parma ham pizza and beef cannelloni, again both were acceptable. We had deserts (the slice of cheesecake was huge) and I had a (really) delicious latte to finish. In all the food was fine - not 'write home about' good, but certainly not terrible. We paid E34 for our bottle of wine, E3 for the coffee and a tip for the lovely waitress and took a bottle of the white wine home.
I have tried lots of RT vouchers for all sorts of things (suits, nights away, other restaurants) and I have never felt like I was being treated differently to a 'regular' customer, and I was certainly made welcome here with this voucher.
I have tried Il Primo a few times before, and have always enjoyed the experience. I won't be rushing out to tell my friends this is a wonderful spot, but on the flip side I wouldn't warn anyone away either. The food was fine, but the location is a little out of the way for me, and there are plenty of other places in town where I can spend the same money and get great food.

Reviewed 24 March 2015

Remembered the Il Primo of old and bought a rewarding times voucher to re-experience. Bad mistake. Was told could only have a table from 5:15 on a Friday evening till 19:15 - don't know why the place was empty and remained so for a good hour and a half. Menu not great but food was awful - any italian should be able to deliver a simple caprese using good Buffalo - not Il Primo - leathery mozzarella covered in pesto - partner's unusual ham hock terrine with gorgonzola was barely passable. Main course of Wild wicklow lamb risotto was actually a Risotto of strongly flavoured hoggett/mutton - inedible, offered pork chop instead which arrived 10 minutes later and half raw - I mean raw - it was cold and raw and the waiter whipped it away before I said a word. The wine with the voucher was not on the wine list and when the waiter unscrewed the cap and poured it was clear we were far from even a house red!

1  Thank BeCaIreland
Reviewed 17 March 2015

Had a rewarding times voucher. We were shown to a basic room removed from the main dining room. There was one other couple in the room so there was no real atmosphere. Food was good, even though the portions were small. Could have done with some bread to soak up sauce. When we were leaving, the 'real' dining room was really busy with a good atmosphere but there were still vacant tables. Our waiters excuse for not seating us in the 'real' dining room didn't really wash.

Reviewed 16 March 2015

I visited this restaurant Saturday 14th March. I had a voucher and was told on the phone I could only use it at 5 or 9.30 on a Saturday night which I was a little upset about. I decided to make a 9.30 reservation and I arrived at the Restaurant at 8.00pm to advise I was near by and when my table became available to call me . Luis advised me that he had got a cancellation and told me I could have the table at 8pm if I liked . Luis who was waiting our table all night could not have been more professional and helpful with the menu selection etc. I will return to this restaurant and the voucher was fantastic value.

1  Thank Olive F