“Atmospheric cosy food & drink ”
Review of The Boxty House

The Boxty House
Ranked #79 of 2,702 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$12 - US$29
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Gastropub, Wine Bar
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Our restaurant has been at the beating heart of a dynamic, contemporary community for over 25 years. Our customers experience a genuine taste of modern Ireland, full of eclectic talking points and the warmth of that country kitchen down the west. Today, our restaurant caters for up to 2000 local and international customers a week. The relaxed, warm atmosphere provides a natural habitat for conversation to flow easily and to share stories. Come join us in the heart of Temple Bar, and discover what it means to be Irish. Totally Irish.
Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

Great food (we had Irish stew, soda bread and Irish coffee ). Really friendly staff. Excellent service, would highly recommend

Write a ReviewReviews (4,402)

Reviewed 9 March 2017

The Boxty House Restaurant is situated on 20-21 Temple Bar, Dublin. It’s a very popular area of Dublin with numerous pubs and restaurants, and plenty of people most nights of the week. Customers are promised a genuine taste of modern Ireland with the warmth of a country kitchen down the west.

We visited on a Friday night after being unable to get in at the Elephant & Castle nearby. We weren't overly hungry, so opted to just have a couple of drinks and some main dishes. My girlfriend opted for a bowl of Gallagher’s Irish Stew and I went for the chicken boxty. A boxty by the way is a traditional Irish potato pancake mostly associated with the north midlands of Ireland. I also ordered a side of colcannon, a traditional Irish dish of mashed potatoes with kale and cabbage.

The sauce on the pancake was rich and thick, the chicken a little overcooked, and the colcannon was very moreish. The dish reminded me a lot of a Mexican burrito in terms of its construction and I'd like to try a chili con carni boxty some time.

The Gallaghers Irish stew was steaming hot and the soda bread was very tasty. The meat didn't seem to be of particularly high quality in either dish.

What we had was okay. I can’t get overly excited about it and given that we paid over 50 Euros for the food and a couple of pints of Heineken I wasn’t blown away by the pricing. But that’s Temple Bar for you…

Reviewed 8 March 2017

Pleasant setting, good service but food rather disappointing. Not as good as my last visit two years ago. Four of our party had the Gaelic Boxty - and all of us agreed that the Boxty didn't really add flavour to the dish.

Reviewed 8 March 2017 via mobile

This was the best food we had in Dublin by far. We found it through a food tour to start and went back after. The variety was great and the stews were amazing. I wish we had time to visit again. The only place in the Temple Bar area worth eating in.

Reviewed 7 March 2017

The Boxty House ?
Caught my eye straight minimalist site. When I approached it turned out that the interior is done sensitively on time in line with contemporary trends. Standing outside acquainted with a very interesting menu at a good price stared at the bar which in its offer also has a lot to offer. Axes proved that the restaurant is bigger than I thought and has a second and a third room which can not be seen at first glance. I was after a day exploring Dublin a little tired and thirsty. I thought that I will come and satisfy the desire of Guinness and see box from the inside. I am an interior designer so I can not resist peeking interesting interiors. Please congratulate designers great execution. And here appears the titles disappointment. I could not even please the eye interior. Fragrances dishes airborne insane. Unfortunately, after crossing the threshold of the waiter / manager greets me with a smile and with the same smile sends me to the bar across the street. I asked him if I can sit at the bar and have a beer? Which, incidentally, is the perfectly designed. I did not get anything to add. I was shocked at how heavy I was treated. Zapomniałm ask what his name is. I asked why? He replied with the same smile, because it is a restaurant. Please forgive me but the restaurant serves drinks and alcohol. I expect that to stop me and suggest a seat at the bar and give the menu and suggest that the beer in the restaurant fits best with the menu. Unfortunately that did not happen. Disgusted nice, I asked him about the menu. After reading the menu was hungry. as even I thought the day was visiting Dublin. Hunger spoke. Unfortunately, after the adoption for the first time in the box I was forced to issue an unflattering opinion about the staff. I do not usually deputies to such an opinion about people. But extremely touched me such a welcome guest in the restaurant. Nevertheless, maybe even I can break down the barriers of disgust, and I'll come try your kitchen and I can get to drink a glass of Guinness or whisy.

Respectfully yours would-be guest greetings and wish you good luck.