“Excellent Coffee and Sandwiches”
Review of Roly's Bistro

Roly's Bistro
Ranked #236 of 2,931 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$6 - US$48
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, Grill
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Description: Roly's Bistro opened in Dublin in November 1992 and quickly became one of the city's busiest and best loved restaurants. Its reasonably-priced menu and wine list together with a casual, light-hearted atmosphere made it an instant hit with everybody from romantic couples to families, from business executives to local and visiting celebrities. Today, a team of 27 chefs serve freshly-cooked food to over three thousand people a week without compromising on quality and standards. Fresh heated bread is baked daily in the bakery.
Reviewed 1 week ago

An absolute gem of a place with incredibly friendly staff.
Angelo is just a legend!

It can be busy at times, but the wait is worth it.

Date of visit: December 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (2,470)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I arrived early for a scheduled breakfast with a client at 9.30am. I ordered a coffee on my arrival at 9.05am and explained that I was early but I would have the coffee and read my paper until my client joined me. I was told that this was no problem at all and my order was taken for the coffee, Fifteen minutes later - and with no sight of anybody serving any of the tables in the half full dining area - I went up to the counter and asked had they forgotten my coffee. They expressed great wonder and surprise that I hadn't already got it but said they would attend to it immediately. Ten minutes later still no coffee - and no sign whatsoever of anyone preparing one and still no serving staff serving any of the tables - I packed my bags and politely informed them at the counter in a low-key voice that 'I'm off'. They seemed to think that it was a bit strange that I wasn't prepared to wait any longer. In the event, I met my client as I walked out the door, explained the position to him and we both went around the corner to the Herbert Park Hotel where we had a genuinely excellent breakfast and - I joke not - the very first question that we were asked on arrival was... 'can we get you a coffee while you decide on your breakfast? The coffee was served promptly. All in all, it was a terrible service from Roly's.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Time was when I would not hesitate to recommend Roly’s. So on a return visit to Dublin, I naturally opted to have breakfast here. Because I have always enjoyed Roly’s so much, I’m sharing this ‘not great’ experience after more than a year away. If Roly’s chooses to create a franchise to ultimately compete with McDonalds, I can say I’ve witnessed the transition from restaurant to assembly line processing.
Roly’s have always been good at being consistent but now that consistency (at least at breakfast) “looks” cheap. Style has been replaced by prescription. Food was served on a large plate with the items placed as though according to a plan. The egg was 2cm from anything. The bacon was placed 2cm from any other item etc etc. It looked as though it had been assembled to match a photo of ‘a consistent breakfast’. There was nothing at all wrong with the food but I wondered if perhaps a bean counter was at the kitchen door checking that each dish as it left.
Sadly, the comments about slow service also proved to be true - but I was not in a rush so it didn’t make much difference.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Lunch for four. Average starters, good mains and desserts spoiled by poor service. Industrial style approach by some servers, i.e. take the order, serve the food, and present the bill. No interaction. Roly's has lost it's mojo based on this experience. We won't be returning anytime soon but I doubt if we'll be missed. Too many punters happy to tolerate average service and food.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Having not been here for a number of years we returned for dinner to mark a family reunion recently. It was a Friday night and we were surprised to find that it was less busy than on our previous visits. The food was excellent, but unfortunately we found the service inattentive, slow and neglectful. The initial order was not attended to properly and there were two return visits to seek clarification. No wine list was offered on arrival.
We waited and waited after our main course and, eventually, almost as an afterthought, dessert menus were dropped at our table. We waited so long for further attention that we had lost interest in the meal completely and when someone eventually came we opted simply for the bill. There was a belated effort to offer us liqueurs but it was too little too late. Again, though - great food - what we got, but very disappointed in the quality of service.