“I must be getting old”
Review of Roly's Bistro

Roly's Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Roly's Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #236 of 2,931 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$6 - US$48
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, Grill
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Roly's Bistro opened in Dublin in November 1992 and quickly became one of the city's busiest and best loved restaurants. Its reasonably-priced menu and wine list together with a casual, light-hearted atmosphere made it an instant hit with everybody from romantic couples to families, from business executives to local and visiting celebrities. Today, a team of 27 chefs serve freshly-cooked food to over three thousand people a week without compromising on quality and standards. Fresh heated bread is baked daily in the bakery.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Time was when I would not hesitate to recommend Roly’s. So on a return visit to Dublin, I naturally opted to have breakfast here. Because I have always enjoyed Roly’s so much, I’m sharing this ‘not great’ experience after more than a year away. If Roly’s chooses to create a franchise to ultimately compete with McDonalds, I can say I’ve witnessed the transition from restaurant to assembly line processing.
Roly’s have always been good at being consistent but now that consistency (at least at breakfast) “looks” cheap. Style has been replaced by prescription. Food was served on a large plate with the items placed as though according to a plan. The egg was 2cm from anything. The bacon was placed 2cm from any other item etc etc. It looked as though it had been assembled to match a photo of ‘a consistent breakfast’. There was nothing at all wrong with the food but I wondered if perhaps a bean counter was at the kitchen door checking that each dish as it left.
Sadly, the comments about slow service also proved to be true - but I was not in a rush so it didn’t make much difference.

Date of visit: November 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (2,470)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Lunch for four. Average starters, good mains and desserts spoiled by poor service. Industrial style approach by some servers, i.e. take the order, serve the food, and present the bill. No interaction. Roly's has lost it's mojo based on this experience. We won't be returning anytime soon but I doubt if we'll be missed. Too many punters happy to tolerate average service and food.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Having not been here for a number of years we returned for dinner to mark a family reunion recently. It was a Friday night and we were surprised to find that it was less busy than on our previous visits. The food was excellent, but unfortunately we found the service inattentive, slow and neglectful. The initial order was not attended to properly and there were two return visits to seek clarification. No wine list was offered on arrival.
We waited and waited after our main course and, eventually, almost as an afterthought, dessert menus were dropped at our table. We waited so long for further attention that we had lost interest in the meal completely and when someone eventually came we opted simply for the bill. There was a belated effort to offer us liqueurs but it was too little too late. Again, though - great food - what we got, but very disappointed in the quality of service.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

On reading sign of business hours outside Roly's at 16.10 I walked in to book a table for 2. Blonde haired hostess was on phone walked straight past me and did see me standing! After finishing call she turned her back to me. Eventually after I said hello she turned around with the sour look and said lunch was over and No dinner until 6pm. Board outside had Lunch 12-5 Dinner 6-9. This hostess needs to retrained on how to be nice and welcoming and also be up to date on times displayed. Sadly will not be returning if this is the standard of service. Pity because other staff have always been nice.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We met some friends at Roly's for dinner. Reservations were hard to get as they booked well in advance. The food, atmosphere, and location were great. Dinner was good and the menu was broad, so there was something for everyone. Of course, there is a full bar and they seemed to do a great job with all the drink requests. There was an award-winning, all men's a capella choir drinking and socalizing in the bar area the night we were there. The men were singing and we had a great time listening to them. Overall, we had a fun evening at Roly's.

Date of visit: September 2018