“Not a 3 star hotel!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #102 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Not a 3 star hotel!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

I stayed here because the hotel I usually stay in was booked out. First thing it is advertised as city centre hotel but Rathmines is not Dublin city centre. 10 - 15 minute bus ride to city centre. Rooms advertised at €39 but paid €47 on line. On arrival was told there was no parking available as car park was full had to use on street pay parking. This is the one and only time I have stayed at a Travelodge and I was more than surprised when I enquired about dinner and was told there was no dinner options available in the hotel. I was told if I wanted dinner I should stay in a 4 star hotel! Also no bar on site!! In the morning there is no option for a cooked breakfast either! Continental breakfast was available for €7 which brings the stay up to €54 not to mention the on street oparking which cost me €12! I actually got the impression there wasn't even a kitchen in the hotel. The room was clean and spacious in fairness. But how can this be classed as a 3 star hotel if you can't even have lunch never mind dinner. In my opinion this is more of a guesthouse. An expensive guesthouse at that. Rooms are advertised cheaply but they nail you for everything else when you get there. There's a lot better value in real 3 star hotels in Dublin.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
michellemanager, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin City Centre, Rathmines, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
Hi Denbod,

Many thanks for taking the time to write this review.

I am glad to see you found your room both spacious and clean.

We do serve continental breakfast in our breakfast room beside our kitchen for an additional €7.00 per person and you can pre-book this on our website when booking you room. With regards to lunch and dinner unfortunately we do not provide this service, however our reception team should have recommended some of our nearby restaurants where we can offer you a 10% discount card for lunch or dinner and for this I apologise if they did not do so.

Yes indeed we have limited car parking and for this reason on our website we ask guests to contact reception to reserve their space.

We do hope that this stay will not deter you from staying in Travelodge in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Beirut, Lebanon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

I stayed in Travelodge for 3 nights in January. I booked a single room online for a rate of 47 Euros per night which was much cheaper than other hotels in Dublin. What I liked the most about the hotel is the friendliness and the helpfulness of its staff. I had a hard time paying when I reached my hotel because my debit card was not working and Michelle was of great help. It happened that my room had a garden view; I’d say it’s a pretty quiet room. The tiny problem I faced was the bed which was a little uncomfortable but my sleep was not affected in any way. I thought that booking a hotel far from city centre would be a hassle, but I did not find this as a problem since Rathmines is a really lively road and the bus stop is across the street from the hotel. I would definitely go back to this hotel if I had the chance to.

Room Tip: Choose a room with garden view
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
michellemanager, Manager at Travelodge Dublin City Centre, Rathmines, responded to this review, 27 January 2012
Hi Mohammad S,

Many thanks for your review and especially your kind words regarding the staff. Our staff receive great encouragement from kind reviews like these. Also thank you for your comment regarding the bed in your room we will look into this immediately.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Wexford, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

This is a perfectly standard Travelodge, simple, a new looking room, has car parking at the back, and all the staff created a good impression - brisk checkin, breakfast served with a smile.
The rooms have electric heaters but no thermostat so when I turned up the heat to warm up the room, I was woken at 4am by the excessive heat, even with the minimal thin duvet. And the traffic noise from outside. Yes, I should have thought of asking for a quiet room but as there were so few staying why put us in a bad room? (For me anyway, my wife slept with no problems). At 5am I was conscious of the humming throbbing noise from next door, probably their bathroom fan. So this did not meet for me the essential Travelodge experience of a good night's sleep at a cheap price with no frills. You can avoid the problem by asking for a room at the back, not turning the heat up full, and remembering to turn on the towel rail so you don't have cold towels in the morning.
I booked a double room only two days ahead so I only got the Flexi rate of 47.50 euro rather than the attractive offers you see in hotel "from 19 euro". Plus parking for 6 euro and a decent continental breakfast for 7 euro each. I was in a hurry and would now rather pay the 2.50 extra and get Bewley's in Ballsbridge at the 50 euro rate - better beds, rooms, and breakfast choices.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
michellemanager, Manager at Travelodge Dublin City Centre, Rathmines, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Hi Gorey_wexford,

Many thanks for the kind words you had to say about our staff, they like to see their work is not going unnoticed.

I am however sorry to read that your room was not up to the standard you wished with regards the heating and the noise level. If you could be so kind to email me directly with the full details of your stay here and I can look into this further. My email address is michelle.gaffney@travelodge.ie.
Limerick, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

I read a number of reviews on this site before booking. I had read the comments from the hotel regarding renovations and I most certainly did not have a renovated room.
The matress was very lumpy, I could feel the springs.
The white grout between the tiles was black in the bathroom and some of the tiles had come loose. The sealant around the bath had also gone black in places.
I arrived in the city early so I dropped in my bags at around 1130 and the lady on the desk was very friendly and helpful. I advised her that I would be checking in quite late as I had a number of things to do in the city.
When I did check in after 2200 the staff were very unfriendly and quite abrupt. They certainly did not make me feel welcome.
On the plus side, the location of the hotel is very good. If you don't fancy walking into the city centre, this is a bus stop right outside with a very regular bus service. Taxis arent too dear either. Also I had read about the noise of bells and I did not find that to be intrusive at all.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Hi Agentblue100,

I am sorry to hear that your experience was not as you would have wished here in Travelodge.

I would appreciate if you could email me directly as I would like here the full details of your stay with us and look into the matter further. My email address is michelle.gaffney@travelodge.ie
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

This is one of the friendliest hotels we ever stayed in. So clean, rooms are spotless and bathrooms - ensuite. Quiet. Close to everything, restaurants, bars, city center, public transport. The staff are so accommodating, friendly and know everything about the area and the city - at any time of the day or night.

Room Tip: If you really like quiet (that is, do not want to hear the normal street sounds - ask for a courtyar...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
michellemanager, Manager at Travelodge Dublin City Centre, Rathmines, responded to this review, 10 December 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review about our hotel and for your very complimentary words.

I am delighted to see you found our staff to be so friendly and knowledgable and also our rooms to be so clean. I have passed your lovely comments on to all our staff who find great encouragement from nice comments like these.

I do hope you will come and stay with us again in the future.