“Informative, Interesting & Fun”

Historical Walking Tours of Dublin
Book In Advance
More Info
US$15.55*
and up
Dublin Historical Walking Tour
Ranked #15 of 235 Tours in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: Dublin's longest established walking tour business (1986). In just over 2 hours this award-winning and entertaining 'seminar on the street' conducted by history post-graduates explores the main features of Irish history—Dublin's development, the influence of the American and French Revolutions, the Potato Famine 1845-49, the 1916 Rising, the War of Independence, partition—and concludes with the Northern Ireland peace process and the rise and fall of the 'Celtic Tiger'.Cost: €12pp, €10 students/seniors
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Went on tour with 2 friends. All thoroughly enjoyed it, our guide had a good blend of knowledge and humour, I think necessary when covering so much history. Would highly recommend, to anyone who can cope with staanding & walking for 2 hours. We were very lucky, it was dry and mild, I would imagine it would not be quite so much fun in the rain!

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Gavin - a graduate student at Trinity College in Dublin - was our guide for this scheduled two hour tour. After nearly three hours, we had an excellent appreciation for the history of Dublin and greater Ireland. Gavin's enthusiasm for the subject matter was readily apparent and provided for a very interesting and entertaining tour. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

My friends and I took this historical walking tour with Gavin (12 euros for adults with reductions for students) on a bright, brisk (that's Irish for Baltic) morning in February. Gavin is one of the post-doctoral Fellows from the Department of History at Trinity College who conduct these tours but he wears his scholarship lightly.
He had such an engaging manner and infectious enthusiasm for his subject that my three friends and I were all enthralled for two hours despite the cold weather.
His subject matter ranged from the famous alumni of Trinity through the Anglo-Irish Parliament Building (which is now a bank) to the story of the United Irishmen of 1798.
I agree with an earlier reviewer who warned that this is an HISTORICAL tour and NOT a sightseeing tour. We only covered a relatively short distance on foot but spanned about five centuries of history during our tour.
Be that as it may, I can thoroughly recommend the tour to those who want a fascinating taste of Irish history with some interesting observations on the relevance that this has for students of modern day Irish politics.
Highly recommended.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

This past Saturday I took the 11 am walking tour of Dublin, and had a wonderful time. The tour guide, Donal, was a wealth of information, and very personable. He told our group all about the cultural and political history of Dublin as we walked through a number of sites in the city centre. He offered a great deal of insight into Irish history, and was happy to point out places to which we would want to return and explore further as time allowed. Certainly very worthwhile, and I would highly recommend to anyone visiting Dublin.

1  Thank Liza N
Reviewed 29 January 2012

A member of my family recommended this and it was average. The person who usually does this tour had a replacement that day. It is not cheap and I did not feel it was a great value. Overall good historical tale, but did not feel it was delivered with much passion.

1  Thank jwgndg