Review Highlights
Vagabond Tours’ 5 Day Vagabond Edge of the World Tour

My wife & I loved & treasure our adventure on the 5 Day Vagabond Edge of the World Tour, which was... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Alan G
The Best of Ireland in Eleven Days

My wife and I took two “adventure” tours with Vagabond in 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed the... read more

Reviewed 31 December 2023
Gregory W

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Recommended experiences in and around Dublin
from €78.00
from €30.00
from €899.00
from €389.00
1,207 results
All reviews small group tour wild irish rover world tour day tour northern ireland irish adventure dingle bay gougane barra hotel active tour sea kayaking guide tim sheep farm killarney national park large coach amazing adventure north tour big bus tours
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 October 2022 via mobile

I had a wonderful time in Ireland but unfortunately the tour I was on was doomed from the start. We wanted to go on a slower paced tour so we would have more free time to do our own thing. However, all of the older individuals on our tour got sick. Some with covid, some with stomach bugs, others with colds. I do not think the tour did the right thing by allowing sickly people to continue on the tour. Sniffles are one thing, but someone who is throwing up out the door or who is not able to make it to the bathroom should be removed from the tour. It is a health hazard to be in a packed van with someone who went to the bathroom on themselves. If it were my family that came down with a sickness I would ask vagabond to help me make alternative plans and take me off the tour so that I wouldn’t ruin other peoples trips and so that I knew we were safe and keeping others safe. It was disappointing and scary to say the least. As someone who has had family members with complications that came after catching a small bug, I had to watch a domino effect occur with more and more people getting sick every day that went by. It was so sad, especially because several were elderly.

Other than sick people, we always seemed to be rushed. I thought this was a slower paced tour? Also, because of the delays we experienced with the sick people we did not get a lot of free time. We were rushed or made to feel bad that we didn’t want to stick with the group (sickly group) during free time and meals. People kept telling us we should have been on the more active vagabond tour. That was very rude as we picked this tour FOR THE FREE TIME AND SLOWER PACE so we could tailor the trip to what we wanted. The trip got better as the days went on because we realized we are not going to have a great time until we start taking more action. One lady at the end of the tour thanked my travel companion and myself for making sure we got extra stops and activities that really made her trip extra special.

Overall, this tour was fine. A lot of unfortunate things that happened were not vagabonds fault, but bad luck. But I don’t feel like anyone went the extra mile or helped the non sick people out. I wanted to wait a month or so to write this review to really be able to focus on how I felt about the tour. I wouldn’t choose vagabond again. The left over feelings I have for the tour are: disappointment, apathy, neutral.

If you go on a vagabond tour I suggest you go in and you yourself make the best of it. The guides were all nice and pleasant in their own ways but again I feel like one in particular was really just the bare minimum. Nice but not more than that, just like the tour.

robrankinvagabond, Owner at Vagabond Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2022

Dear Kellie,

Thank you for coming on the tour and taking time to write your review, though of course we were very disappointed to hear the nature of your comments.

Yes unfortunately there were interruptions to your tour due to three separate cases of apparent food poisoning (one case is rare, three from different sources really is unheard of on our tours) but I do believe we did the right thing in allowing those people to stay on the tour until they recovered. Whenever we receive feedback we always look into how we handle things, so light of that trip we will be reviewing our policy on, though it always really comes down to a case by case basis and we would always hope to treat people how we would expect ourselves, or an elderly relative, to be treated in a similar situation.

In re the comments on your choice of tour, I have spoken to the team on this and certainly no offense was meant, it was simply an observation as you did seem keen to take part in some of the active options that would only normally be available on the Vagabond adventure tours. We are sorry if that came across in the wrong way.

You also mention the pace of the tour, and that’s fair enough. Some time was lost due to interruptions but again tour timing does tend to be a balancing act between spending enough time in each location and visiting enough sites to make sure people get their moneys worth. But we will be looking through the vehicle GPS tracking records for that week and see what lessons can be learned.

Thanks again for coming on the tour.

Reviewed 12 October 2022

My husband and I just got home from this tour, and the experience was incredible. There were 10 people on our tour and it never felt crowded. We were able to do things on our own or as a group. The people in our group were fantastic and made the experience even better.
Our tour guide was knowledgeable, personable, very accommodating, and flexible with the schedule. Andrew took us off the beaten path many times, and we were able to see sights we would never have been able to see on our own. We drove or hiked to the top of a mountain, multiple cliff hiking paths, working and abandoned mines, lighthouses, waterfalls, and numerous historical ruins. He was able to explain the history of most of the places and would work to find the answers to all of our questions.
Most of the places we went to were not tourist attractions but local treasures that were not packed with people.
It was nice not having to plan transport or food for most of the trip. We were able to sit back and enjoy Ireland.

Date of experience: October 2022
robrankinvagabond, Owner at Vagabond Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2022

Hi Molly, thanks a million for your super 5 star review.

I really appreciate you taking the time to post your experience. I'm delighted both you and your husband enjoyed your tour. We love to hear that you got on well with your group, it makes the adventure even more special. Our guides are super passionate about what they do, they LOVE sharing their knowledge on all things Ireland and Andrew is fantastic. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the history & stories.

Reviewed 12 October 2022

This is the way to experience Ireland. We toured for 11 days on the Driftwood Tour from Sept 13-23/2022. Our driver/guide, Damien, was terrific. He was thoroughly professional, personable and flexible. The variety of sights and experiences were perfect. As someone who has lived in Ireland and visits there often, I cannot recommend Vagabond/Driftwood more highly.

Date of experience: September 2022
robrankinvagabond, Owner at Vagabond Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2022

Hi Thomas, thanks a million for your super 5 star review.

We really appreciate you sharing your experience. I'm delighted to hear you had a great time with on your 11 Day Discover Ireland Tour with Damo. He is a huge part of Vagabond, we are lucky to have him as part of the team. Thank you for your kind recommendation.

Reviewed 11 October 2022 via mobile

No words can summarize my experience with Ireland, Vagabond, and our dear tour guide, Alan. We saw so many things that we probably would have never known existed if it were not for this tour! Alan catered to what our group wanted to do each day and was so knowledgeable about the culture and country. Shout to tour guide Bébhinn, who was with for one of the days and made us think we were funnier than we actually are. Amazing people and great company. Cannot wait to return!!

1  Thank shannonstover

Hi Shannon, thanks a million for your super 5 star review. We really appreciate you sharing your experience.

I'm delighted to hear you had a great time with Alan & Bebhinn, it certainly sounded like a fun trip all round! He is a wonderful guide & huge part of the Vagabond team. It's great that you all had so much fun with him.

Reviewed 11 October 2022 via mobile

TRIP OF A LIFETIME. Seriously, I cannot say enough good things about this company. Our guide Alan was the greatest human ever and I adore him! He did a great job putting up with our shenanigans, and he was knowledgable, fun, and always professional. And our one day with Bebhinn was an absolute blast! I don’t know how this vacation could ever be topped. We will 1000% be back for another Murder Mystery Tour with Alan 😂😂😂

Hi Courtlin, thanks a million for your super 5 star review. We really appreciate you sharing your experience.

We can't wait to see you again in the future.