“A delicious treasure not to overlook”
Review of Cafe Joly

Cafe Joly
Ranked #1,198 of 2,757 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Irish
Reviewed 17 July 2017

The National Library has free admission and it was a welcome place to sit on a warm afternoon. We discovered this lovely museum cafe with a surprisingly large selection of daily specials. We didn't try them because we were greeted by make-it-yourself scones—fresh from the oven with mounds of clotted cream and strawberry jelly to pile on. This treat with two pots of tea—all for around 10 pounds! Very satisfying after a huge breakfast earlier in the day at our hotel.

Reviewed 30 August 2016

My family had lunch at Cafe Joly while on a genealogical research trip to Ireland. The sandwiches and soups were delicious and the service was excellent. It's a great place to have lunch when visiting the National Library of Ireland.

Reviewed 19 February 2016 via mobile

We visited this cafe during a busy lunchtime and found it to be quite pleasant. The room was bright and spacious and the cafe's setting in the National Library is appealing. The lunch menu consists mainly of soups and sandwiches. There didn't seem to be any salads on offer and I asked for one and was given an improvised salad bowl, made up of several of the sandwich/roll fillings on offer. This was very good, very fresh, and was free of the ubiquitous salty dressings so favoured by many cafes these days, and added to salads without the customer's say so. My friend's soup was good also. The staff were relaxed and friendly and one got the impression that many of the customers were regulars there for lunch. If there was one criticism of this cafe, it would be that they were less than generous with their bread. I got only one small slice with what was quite a big salad and my friend got no bread at all with her soup until she asked and was then given only one small slice. A bit mean, we both felt, and it spoiled our lunch there somewhat.

Reviewed 2 February 2016

I have been meaning to check out this cafe for some time. It's lovely and bright calm and the young lady on the counter never stops smiling and attending to her customers. She just goes the extra 10%. The food is displayed so you can pick out scones cakes or savoury items. You will definitely be eating with your eyes. I chose Italian onion and Parmesan soup. I have to say the rosti tempted me as well. It's a lovely athmospnere and clientele are people who like to sit down enjoy their food in a relaxed place.
I will return with a pal.

Reviewed 11 November 2015

Handy location in Kildare Street. Met a friend here and we had a great big pot of tea and scones - which were very good. Pleasant staff and surroundings. Much better than many of the busy coffee shops nearby.