“Great atmosphere - but they should concentrate on the cocktails”

Vintage Cocktail Club
Reserve with OpenTable
Vintage Cocktail Club is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #137 of 2,701 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 December 2016

This is a lovely spot, very cosy but cool. However, I had a dry martini yesterday that was not the best I ever had. It cost me 11e - I expected better. It tastes watery as if the ice had melted in it. There was a very long wait too. My pal ordered a Manhattan 'up' and the waiter didn't understand what she meant. Not everyone would - but a cocktail waiter should, right? Bit disappointing as it has such a lovely atmosphere but they could smarten up their bar act a bit.

Reviewed 20 December 2016 via mobile

For an apparently exclusive cocktail bar....they tell you to move away from the bar when there is only standing room and openly refer to customers as "these people"....front of house staff was incredibly rude, argued with me when I asked where I should stand, only to be told she is having a stressful evening! Joke of a bar for the prices they charge and service they offer, also, they allow you to smoke indoors...if u enjoy clean air...avoid

10  Thank Barry O
Reviewed 19 December 2016 via mobile

A little bit of a hidden gem in the heart of Dublin. If you get the chance do stop by for a taste of the prohibition style speakeasy atmosphere of this delightful place

Reviewed 19 December 2016

I am very disappointed with the VCC.

I brought my MIL for drinks on Saturday, and had booked a table from 5pm to 7.30pm a couple of weeks in advance.

We arrived 10 minutes early and were told to go up to the terrace and sit down, have a drink, and wait to be called.

All the tables on the terrace had ‘reserved’ signs on them but we sat down at one anyway as there was nowhere else to sit. A staff member came over and informed me the table was reserved and that I’d have to move. I told him that his colleague directed me to sit down and wait and that I had also booked a table for 5pm so if the table I booked for 5 was empty at 5 there shouldn’t be a problem. He told me that regardless he’d be telling me to move at 4.55pm to ensure the table was ready for his customers.

So we got up and stood like muppets for ages. Tables empty, staff ignoring us. We were not seated at a table until 5.25pm. Given how seemingly precious they are with their timings and kicking people off tables (apparently) I found this absurd.

I went into the VCC that day fully expecting to spend 2.5 hours having a fab afternoon with my partner’s mum (and I was willing to spend a hefty amount of money on drink and I always tip well) but we left after two drinks and had a fantastic time elsewhere.

Tips to possible customers – avoid this place like the plague. Plenty of places in Dublin offer great cocktails and are chuffed to get the custom.

Tips to staff – treat your customers with respect and a lose the attitude. I actually tipped the waitress in the subsequent bar nearly 25 euros, I’m sure she’d thank you for being so awful to me that I was so grateful to have a lovely waitress that I tipped her well and we kept telling her how appreciative we were!

6  Thank lavajonation
Reviewed 18 December 2016 via mobile

This was an unusual experience. The entrance is easy to miss, just a dark grubby metal door with no identification that I could see. It's necessary to knock/ring to be admitted. Then you're led up creaking stairs with a threadbare carpet to a small reception area on the stairwell return in which sits an incongruous religious painting. You're told your table isn't ready yet and invited to climb up yet more creaking stairs to the next level. This leads to a busy and packed cocktail bar. It's clear this is a trendy and popular location, to the extent that I was relieved to leave it to descend to the relative peace of the dining area. I liked this room. It was like stepping into an American speakeasy from the 1920s or 1930s, full of sumptuous sofas and hanging drapes and lit with many candles on each table. The emphasis seems to be on drink rather than food, with small bowls of admittedly delicious bowls of food 'to share' chosen from a good menu. I wasn't able to sample most of it as there were very few vegetarian options but my friends assured me it was very good. I was given a bowl of risotto, pre-ordered, which was tasty. Although the room was busy, there was plenty of space between different groups, so people weren't on top of each other. It was interesting leaving an eating establishment feeling not quite full, but like I said earlier the focus is more on drink than food. Overall I enjoyed a new and different experience.