“Staff with Attitude” 2 of 5 bubbles

Vintage Cocktail Club
Ranked #127 of 2,527 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Drinks, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Ireland
“Staff with Attitude”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2016

I am very disappointed with the VCC.

I brought my MIL for drinks on Saturday, and had booked a table from 5pm to 7.30pm a couple of weeks in advance.

We arrived 10 minutes early and were told to go up to the terrace and sit down, have a drink, and wait to be called.

All the tables on the terrace had ‘reserved’ signs on them but we sat down at one anyway as there was nowhere else to sit. A staff member came over and informed me the table was reserved and that I’d have to move. I told him that his colleague directed me to sit down and wait and that I had also booked a table for 5pm so if the table I booked for 5 was empty at 5 there shouldn’t be a problem. He told me that regardless he’d be telling me to move at 4.55pm to ensure the table was ready for his customers.

So we got up and stood like muppets for ages. Tables empty, staff ignoring us. We were not seated at a table until 5.25pm. Given how seemingly precious they are with their timings and kicking people off tables (apparently) I found this absurd.

I went into the VCC that day fully expecting to spend 2.5 hours having a fab afternoon with my partner’s mum (and I was willing to spend a hefty amount of money on drink and I always tip well) but we left after two drinks and had a fantastic time elsewhere.

Tips to possible customers – avoid this place like the plague. Plenty of places in Dublin offer great cocktails and are chuffed to get the custom.

Tips to staff – treat your customers with respect and a lose the attitude. I actually tipped the waitress in the subsequent bar nearly 25 euros, I’m sure she’d thank you for being so awful to me that I was so grateful to have a lovely waitress that I tipped her well and we kept telling her how appreciative we were!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank lavajonation

Dublin
“Eclectic experience ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2016 via mobile

This was an unusual experience. The entrance is easy to miss, just a dark grubby metal door with no identification that I could see. It's necessary to knock/ring to be admitted. Then you're led up creaking stairs with a threadbare carpet to a small reception area on the stairwell return in which sits an incongruous religious painting. You're told your table isn't ready yet and invited to climb up yet more creaking stairs to the next level. This leads to a busy and packed cocktail bar. It's clear this is a trendy and popular location, to the extent that I was relieved to leave it to descend to the relative peace of the dining area. I liked this room. It was like stepping into an American speakeasy from the 1920s or 1930s, full of sumptuous sofas and hanging drapes and lit with many candles on each table. The emphasis seems to be on drink rather than food, with small bowls of admittedly delicious bowls of food 'to share' chosen from a good menu. I wasn't able to sample most of it as there were very few vegetarian options but my friends assured me it was very good. I was given a bowl of risotto, pre-ordered, which was tasty. Although the room was busy, there was plenty of space between different groups, so people weren't on top of each other. It was interesting leaving an eating establishment feeling not quite full, but like I said earlier the focus is more on drink than food. Overall I enjoyed a new and different experience.

Visited December 2016
“Special!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2016 via mobile

Came here two nights in a row a couple of weeks ago while in Dublin on a surprise engagement weekend! This place is such a hidden gem, if you want good drinks in Dublin it's a must. We love the speakeasy feel of the place and the atmosphere is brilliant - classy but relaxed! The cocktails are to die for, with a great take on some of my favourite classics as well as brand new exciting concoctions! Some of them are slightly too sweet for my pallet, but the staff are so brilliant and can help you out with choosing the right cocktail for you, so be sure to ask for advice. Thank you so much for making our weekend so special and celebrating our news with us! Especially Emily, Liam and Dermot - you guys are the best :)

Visited December 2016
SF
“amazing cocktails”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2016

I drink cocktails all over the world, and this place is in my top 5 globally. Don't let the door fool you, once you are in, you are in for a cocktail adventure in an interesting space. Dirty Wizard was great, as I love cocktails that have a beginning, middle and end, like a good red wine. I had several different cocktails though, and they all were interesting and well balanced. If you enjoy cocktails, this is a must visit in Dublin

United Kingdom
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2016

Me and my girlfriend came here on 09/12 night and we were both very impressed.
The selection of cocktails on offer and the service provided were very good. Moreover, the waitress Claire was one a kind and made our visit extra special, so thank you.
We will certainly be coming back in the very near future.

• 4 of 5 bubbles