“Birthday dinner on a Tuesday”

The Vintage Kitchen
Ranked #13 of 2,909 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

One of my favourite places in Dublin!! Amazing soup!! My favourite was the chowder, AMAZING!!! Highly recommend it!! (make sure you book well in advance)

1  Thank ACP2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,860)

Reviewed 19 December 2017

We enjoyed the Christmas menu (which looked remarkably similar to the regular menu but at inflated prices - no matter €50 for 3 courses at Christmas time is not unreasonable value).

Before I describe the food, a word of warning if you like to have a lot of room around your table - this restaurant is small and tightly packed. I found it 'cosy' and 'welcoming', others may feel it to be uncomfortable and cramped.

I would agree with many of the reviewers that the food was very good - and the starters outstanding. We enjoyed the shrimp risotto which was overflowing with succulent shrimp (best risotto I've ever had) and the roasted vegetables with goats chees - again incredible flavours. Had we had a third person we would undoubtedly have taken the chowder which looked amazing.

But...the food was very filling so working our way through 3 courses became a chore. Our mains of beef and cod were good, but did not wow us the way the starters had. Yes the beef was tender and crusty, perfectly cooked, but the fries were beyond chunky - more of deep fried potatoes. The cod looked spectacular but was served overflowing in a small bowl that inhibited the ability to get to some of the tastier aspects of the dish until you'd picked off the mussels to make room for your fork. The cod itself was a little bland.

By the time we finally got to dessert we were stuffed so went for the lightest options of the sorbet and chocolate cake( yes, I was assured it was 'light'). We made a brave attempt through it - I would rate the desserts as good.

Our experience overall was delightful and we would recommend the restaurant - my 'but' is a plea to simplify the cod please.

Reviewed 17 December 2017

Went based on a friend's recommendation and did not realize I was going to have one of the best meals I've had in Ireland (and that says something). The place is in a non-descript location out of the tourist throngs. Service is non-pretentious, what you would expect in a good (perfectly run) neighborhood restaurant. The food is incredible.

Started with seafood chowder. Was expecting a nice soup, instead got an incredible seafood stew. Plentiful mussels, prawns, scallops, fish, etc with a fantastic taste. I am primarily a beef person but this was one of the best dishes I ever had.

The main course, lamb shank, was not much lower. Perfectly cooked large shank with a thick,complex sauce. Just beautiful.

Wonderful meal and I can't wait to return.

2  Thank lloydm972
Reviewed 11 December 2017

Went in for lunch with colleagues - staff were friendly, and the food was excellent - and good value too!

1  Thank crins0
Reviewed 11 December 2017

This is one of those restaurants that will leave you wanting to return instantly. The best part is that this restaurant isn't just great food, it has casual, yet attentive service as well. It is small and getting more and more popular so a reservation is a MUST!

1  Thank TravelingPapaya