“Nice links course!”

Royal Dublin Golf Club
Ranked #45 of 118 Outdoor Activities in Dublin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A very warm welcome to one of Ireland's finest golf links. We have history and wonderful golfing tradition here - but better than that, we have a fabulous golfing challenge over a magnificent links course. And when the golf is done, our clubhouse offers the ideal place for enjoyable relaxation. Our visitors are always welcomed by our friendly staff and we look forward to your visit to our Club. Located on Bull Island, which also houses a bird sanctuary and nature reserves, this golf course is one of the oldest in Ireland, dating back to 1885.
Reviewed 29 August 2018

Played Royal Dublin on Aug 24, 2018. Front 9 is short and downwind. Back 9 is long and into the wind. The course is relatively flat compared to other Irish courses. I personally enjoyed the quality of their greens and the green complexes. This would be a great first day course when arriving in Dublin to begin a golf trip. Although a very nice course, it is a little less challenging that other links courses in Ireland. A friendly welcome in the Pro Shop as well.

All reviews
"ireland"
in 10 reviews
"guinness"

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Came over from USA for vacation and played at Royal Dublin. Course was in great shape! Excellent customer service from John & staff. When I returned to US, I realized the polo I bought had a minor snag. Without hesitation, John exchanged a no charge return for me. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

This is a must play in Dublin area for those seeking out true links tracks. Very well groomed throughout and friendly off of the tee. The greens are superb in every way. The staff are very welcoming and members I spoke to were extremely friendly. Don't be trunk slamming here!! Enjoy the good food in a room with a great view of the links. This is a wonderful clubhouse steeped in history and definitely worth a viewing. While I loved the course and everything about it, playing with Ian a long time member was a highlight for me. Thanks Ian I wish the members at my club were so welcoming.
Cheers
Happy Canadian:)

1  Thank RickandDenise9
Reviewed 16 September 2017

My wife and I had been planning a trip to visit Ireland and Italy for years. We decided that if we didn't do it now we may never do it. So on my 60th birthday we boarded a plane and flew to Dublin. My wife had made a tee time four months before and I was not going to pass up this opportunity. Unfortunately the weather forecast on the day I was supposed to play called for strong winds. And as everyone knows, it can rain in Ireland at anytime. I experienced it all during my round.
We stayed in Dublin in Parnell Square so we took an Uber to the club.
My wife didn't want to play, but they allowed her to ride along in the buggy.
The course was in great shape. True links course. Take some balls. The fairways can get pretty tight on some of the holes, especially with 30-40 mph winds.
Enjoyed every minute of it. My wife got some great pictures of me playing and plenty of the rainbows. We laughed most of the round because I had never played in weather like this.
It is a members club, but they allow the public to play. The staff and members treated me like I was a member.
After the round my wife and I went into the clubhouse to quench our thirst and a member who I had run into outside the locker room bought our drinks for us. He sat and we talked about what brought us to Ireland. When we were ready to get back, the bartender gladly called us a cab and we were on our way.
I will remember this experience for the rest of my life.
I will be back.

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

Had a chance to play Royal Dublin (RD) while on a cruise ship trip.

Course is about a 20 minute cab ride from the cruise ship and it is a really nice drive along the coast. There was no Uber in Ireland (july 2017) and cab is the only alternative. the cab ride including tip was around 25 euro each way. You can see the ship from the golf course!

Pre travel, I booked a tee time over the internet and received a 1-day response from RD. They were extremely helpful and others from the cruise were able to reserve in the same tee time.

I travel with clubs so the green fee + caddy + tip was 225 euro. The green fee was pre-paid. There are cheaper deals, but the ship sailings limited my options to weekday rack rate.

I reserved a caddie, and it turned out that we had 2 caddies for 3 people in the group. This slowed us down a bit as we were hitting it all over the lot and we worked the caddies to death searching for balls. This is not a course if you cannot hit it straight. We played the guest tees (6500 yards) and it was a strong test. It can be hard to get a rhythm when there is a search on most of the holes. All in all, we played in 4:15 which was great, but it seemed longer. The caddies kept us going and really did a ton of work. I would use them again as they were pleasant, upbeat, and knowledgable. Both were high school students and club members (Max and Mark).

The driving range and practice green were ok. The range tee area was pretty chopped up (we started at 2:00 PM so likely it was better in the AM). The practice green was far better and was a good approximation for on-course greens.

I played on a day with reverse wind so the group was into the wind on the front and down wind on the back. The caddies said this was unusual. The course layout is a traditional down and back for 18 holes with a couple of deviations. Take a snack when you start as the 9th green is far from the clubhouse. I play to a 12.7 index.

I am guessing we played in about a 10-15 MPH wind and that was more than enough for me. I really liked the course and enjoyed the round as it required a great deal of thought about positioning and club selection. Each hole was interesting, different, and challenging and this is really a course for stronger golfers. If you struggle with greenside bunkers, then get practice before you get to RD as there are a lot of deep greenside bunkers with steep faces. The course/club dates back to the 1880's and there is a lot of history. It looks and feels very traditional.

After the round we had a few beers and a scone (delicious!) and the staff was pleasant and helpful. The pro shop was closed when we got in at 6:15 and that was a bit disappointing, but understandable.

All in all, this is a strong golf experience for more advanced players. I think that the reverse wind made it a bit harder as the front 9 is far longer than the back 9. I would come back and play here again.

1  Thank jeff g