“Nice hostel...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 101 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Bremen
“Nice hostel...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

It is clean, with friendly staff and nice facilities. My girlfriend and I had a private room on the top floor.
Everything was great and we were really impressed with the en-suite bathroom.
However there wass one little problem. The door handle to the bathroom was faulty and when we returned in the evening we found that we couldn't open the bathroom door. The night staff were friendly but couldn't do anything. We resorted to using a bathroom 2 floors down as there were none on the other floors.
The next morning staff gave us a key to the room alongside ours and were apologetic.

I hope that in future they check that rooms are suitable for guests before offering them. It was clear from damage around the door handle that this door had been damaged long before our stay.

This was only one problem and otherwise we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bisirland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

This was a wicked hostel, I was travelling with my partner and when we arrived we couldn’t believe it was a hostel! Our private room had a double bed (although this did have a single bunk above this didn’t bother us, I assume this is so they can use the rooms for double and triple groups where necessary), desk and chair, wardrobe, hairdryer, safe and even a TV with free view channels! The bathroom was amazing, towels included and massive. Breakfast was included and standard hostel style, bread/ toast, cereal, milk, juice, butter, jam, tea /coffee - it was pretty much all you can eat. Very clean, quiet and so close to everything including; O'Connell Street and temple bar etc.

Also I highly recommend 101TALBOT, a restaurant just down the road from the hostel towards O’Connell Street, literally amazing food and service, so lovely!

Free WIFI in the lobby but not in the rooms.

The area is great, close to everything and I never felt unsafe.

Room Tip: we were on the 4th floor, it was nice and quite.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nicholkeene
manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

Resonably priced.Clean basic rooms. Undisturbed sleep.Breakfast was a little busy but tables were cleared quickly. Near to public transport and shops.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Cheshire, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

I was traveling through Europe, with an accomodation budget for each country. Dublin was a bit cheaper than the Continent, so I was able to sprlurge here.

I reserved a private room as the price fell within my budget. Arrived mid-afternoon; lobby not too crowded. Was promptly checked in and assigned a room on the third floor.

Opened the door to my room, and......is this a hostel??? Wish that I thought to take pictures so that you could see just how lovely it was. My private room had a double bed, desk and chair, and even a TV!! Right above my bed were switches to turn out the room lights and--to open the window should I like some fresh air!!

But let me save my biggest praise for the bathroom. It was easily twice the size of my bathroom at home, and ALL MINE!! Squeaky clean, with a shower, sink, toilet, and lovely thick towels (a treat after traveling around Europe with my own thin--to take up less space--towels.)

Third floor was very quiet, as there were only four rooms there. A little noisy at times, as it appeared to be school break in Germany (lots of German school kids) and the teachers/chaperones stayed on the third and fourth floors. *They* were quiet, but their young charges would come up and down.

Oh, and did I mention an elevator? Yup; with a hotel type card that one had to insert to gain access to one's floor--no strangers able to roam around.

Breakfast was standard hostel fare--brown and white toast, cereal, milk, juice, butter, jam--but lots of it; I have been to hostels where portions were meager.

The lobby got loud at night, due to all of those large groups of giggling German schoolkids checking in. However, they were quickly processed and on their way to their 16 bed dorms.

Free WIFI in lobby; no service in rooms :=( There was a very large kitchen, where I went on one night to heat up my food. However, was crowded with above named German schoolkids, so I didn't take advantage of this. There is also a laundry facility on premises at a reasonable price. (Be warned; there is a laundry just down the street offering to do laundry for 8 euros *minimum.* I almost used it until discovering on premises laundry for 1-2 euros.)

What else? Front desk sells tickets to various events. I bought a "hop on, hop off" tour bus ticket there, as well as an Airlink ticket to the Dublin airport. (You save 2 euros by purchasing it there; you can also purchase it online for your ride into town.) Bus station right around the corner. They also supposedly do a walking tour, but I did not take advantage of this.

Food options: there are two groceries a short distance away (quick hint: travel a little bit further to the second grocery for cheaper prices and more selection) as well as many inexpensive restaurants. (There's a great Thai place diagonally across the street from the hostel; too bad that I didn't notice it until the last night!)

Finally, I agree with others who have reviewed this hostel: others have said that the area seems sketchy and unsafe. I was a female traveling alone and never felt unsafe.

So, whether you want to share with 15 other roomates, or have a room to yourself, do take advantage of this wonderful hostel--one of the best I've stayed in!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank lovetotravel1018
Heeze, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

And that is something what has to be said upfront. For the more luxurious oriented traveller out there, look elsewhere. This is aimed at “young folks who don’t want to pay very much”.
Unfortunately I’m more at home at a quality hotel than at a hostel, but this was my accommodation during a school-study-trip to Dublin. So I’ll try not to nag and to be impartial.

The room was cramped and warm. We slept with the window open, but even so it wasn’t always enough. Twelve guys, aged 18 - 24, and high-sleeper beds are no ideal circumstances for sleeping. The lack of a decent pillow and a soft bed didn’t help. Also 1 shower/toilet per room isn’t adequate but there are extra facilities in the hallways. Ventilation in the (bath)room room was poor.

They do clean the bathrooms every day but do not the beds. Rooms are reasonably quiet and key cards are provided for everybody. Elevator available, wifi as well. There is no smoking allowed in the rooms. Continental breakfast included. Basic doesn’t really cover it. Toast, brown or white with jam, milk coffee, tea and cereal. That’s it.

15minutes walk from city centre. Don’t go with people who don’t know the area! Dubliners now the better clubs/bars. Temple bar is okay, but is more a bar type area.
They have proper night clubs (Five I believe) if you are into that kind of music. If you’re not don’t worry because I can highly recommend the jazz club JJ’s where I had a blast. Walk down to Dame St & St Great George St. That’s where nightlife starts.
Enjoy!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with more beds than your travelling with.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends