All reviews great hotel ginger man classic king rain shower continental options merrion square night manager sister hotel pub next door perfect location breakfast area king size bed reception area is up to date close to trinity college national gallery quiet room
Reviewed 5 July 2018 via mobile

Arrived at the Alex, centrally located, nice hotel, new and modern. Painfully slow service at the desk. One room was ready, the adjoining room for my 2 teenage kids was not. Spent the day around Dublin, came back, second room was ready but the adjoining door was locked. Ok, went down to front desk because no one answered the phone after several tries. I was told only the maid staff has keys and since it was after 5, I had to wait till tomorrow. Huh? Hotel Manager doesn't have key to unlock doors in the hotel? No, only maid staff and there was nothing to be done till the morning. Weird but OK since my kids are old enough to stay by themselves. Noticed woman at reception desk made a note on a large notepad for wait staff to unlock the door at 830 in the morning. It was done at 930. Not a big deal. Went to breakfast, only 3 people working the breakfast for 8 tables and restocking the buffet so we had a small que at the bar asking for coffee service. Again, not a big deal but more waiting on my part. Had a question to ask the receptionist (regarding the locked door), she took a booking on the phone and made me wait 15 minutes, didn't even acknowledge I was standing there. Went to the bar around 515pm, waited and waited to be served by a server who acted like he didn't know how to be a waiter.
Again, nice accomodations, good location but understaffed and definitely not up to NYC hotel standards. Don't expect anyone to go out of their way to help make your stay memorable.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank metaldean
Gregor S, General Manager at The Alex, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2018

Dear Dean D,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your complimentary comments on our newly refurbished hotel and on our very convenient location.
I do understand your frustration you had with several service lapses you did encounter. Not to be able to accommodate your request to open the interconnecting doors should definitely not be a big deal, regardless the time of the day. You can rest assured that this is being rectified immediately.
Further, please accept my sincere apology with regards to the inattentive service during breakfast and dinner time. There was indeed some staffing issues on that day, which already has been addressed with the person responsible. Our focus is guest service and I am confident this kind of issues will not repeat in the future.

Thank you for writing this review and providing us honest and constructive feedback.

Reviewed 2 July 2018

From an ultra-modern lobby, good sized room great comfortable bed, working air con, good bathroom, friendly courteous staff, good breakfast, great gym. Perfect week in Dublin right in Central area. Room was ready on arrival and check out really excellent at 12md.

Room tip: only one lift so lower floor an advantage
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank davidjsm2018

Dear davidjsm2018,

I am very happy to read that we provided you with a memorable stay. It s very motivational for all of us to read such reviews.
Hopefully we will be able to welcoming you back very soon again.

Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

The hotel was very nice and was in a good location to explore the city. There is a bus from the airport that drops you off almost right next to the hotel. The main attractions are within a 15-20 minute walk of the hotel. The room was spacious and there were a lot of outlets. Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the hotel and would stay here again.

2  Thank Mms1225

Dear Mms1225,

Thank you for your nice comments on our rooms and that you find our location convenient. Hopefully we will be able to welcoming you back soon again.

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Great hotel & Centrally located.

I don’t think we have ever slept in such comfortable hotel beds. After a long journey and trying to battle jet lag, the sleep and rest we were able to get at the Alex was perfect.

Rooms are clean and showers are great.

Staff are all friendly and helpful. The gentlemen at reception are great.

Wifi is not the greatest and kept cutting out.

If I was to be really picky, my only critiques would be:

1 - For breakfast it would be nice to have an egg station or an option to order something from the kitchen aside from the buffet scrambled eggs

2 - For the price per you pay per night, the bathroom cosmetics / accessories are basic and it would be nice to have bars of soap.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kijijitrotter

Dear Kijijitrotter,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a good night sleep in our fantastic beds. I will certainly pass on your nice comments abou our gents from the front desk.
With regards to our breakfast offerings, I would like to inform you that we actually do offer different kinds of egg styles, which would be cooked a la minute in the kitchen on order. I am sorry if you had not been made aware of this.
Further, we certainly will take your suggestion to offer a soap bar in our guest rooms in consideration.

Thanks for your feedback and we hope you will be visiting us soon again.

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

The Alex is a newly refurbished (and renamed) hotel a few minutes walk from Merrion Square and within walking distance of a lot of the tourist sights. It has some sister hotels close by.

Rooms are of a good standard and are what you would expect of a four star hotel. Staff friendly and helpful.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank M3912TDpaulg
Gregor S, General Manager at The Alex, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

Dear Paul G,

Than you for your nice comments on our rooms and staff. I am happy that you find our location convenient and hopefully we will be able to welcoming you back soon again.