4,846 results
All reviews knights bar fahrenheit grill indigo lounge real castle four poster bed modern amenities city centre amazing hotel bus stop dublin airport ireland vijay wedding armour concierge howth euro
Reviewed 24 January 2011

The place was a unique experience and the rooms were nice. My major complaint is that the staff was snotty and were all very unhelpful except for one. I would hope that a place charging this much would have great customer service. I have a large phone bill from trying to call about a left item. I talked to four different people. They all pushed me off, acted as if I was annoying and told me they would courier my item to me. When I called back each time after I had not received the item, I found out they had done nothing. Then they would give me the same runaround. The front desk and managers were all horrible. I finally was able to talk to the head of the maid service and the woman there was very helpful. I received my left item with her help or at least guidance on how to pay for my own courier service to collect it. Thank goodness the hotel I was staying in after this one, was extremely helpful.
The hotel is also far from the city center, so unless you have a car I would not recommend staying there.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed the castle experience. I am very disappointed to hear you were unhappy with our staff. We usually pride ourselves on our excellent service standards and I am very sorry that this was not reflected in your stay with us. I hope that you consider visiting us again in the future so we can have the opportunity to provide our usual warm Irish welcome during your stay.

Mark Long,

Reviewed 17 January 2011

Clontarf Castle was a very unique place to stay. It has a castle façade with a modern interior. The castle was in very good condition. The outside was well manicured, and the inside was clean and interesting. The rooms are all modern. We found out that for 40 Euro more (we paid about 140 Euro) you can get a 4 poster bed, and for about 100Euro more your can get one of the nice suites. That is a bargain given the Westin wanted 500+ Euro / night. We went to the Knights bar for a drink. The bartender Julian was wonderful! In the whole 7 day trip I didn’t come across a nicer more helpful bartender. He was knowledgeable regarding his beers, and food, and was just a genuinely nice guy. We ate dinner in the Fahrenheit restaurant. What a great dinner! We started with the soups (Potato leek, and Seafood Bisque [which wasn’t cream based]). The soups were really tasty. For our main dish, we ordered the Wicklow Lamb. What a FANTASTIC dish! The plates came hot to the table, and the lamb was perfectly cooked and seasoned. Along with the lamb we had chips and really nice veggies.

The front desk staff was very friendly and efficient on check in/out. While we didn’t spend a lot of time in the common areas, they felt very castle like, and looked relaxing. Its only a quick 10 min. drive to the airport, so its nice if you’re coming in from the West and have a flight our of Dublin the next day.

I would highly recommend a stay at Clontarf castle.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank redneck6497
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for a lovely review. Our mission statement “making history through our passion for excellence” is driven by our need to understand and exceed customer expectations in terms of customer service standards and excellent quality products. I am delighted to hear that you could experience this during your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to the castle, if you decide to return to Ireland in the future.

Reviewed 7 January 2011

This was the nicest hotel i have ever stayed in, beautifully decorated with several comfortable seating areas to unwind and relax . Breakfast was tasty pancakes are a must. Resturant food was average. Would definately revisit this hotel and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great compliments. I’m delighted to hear that we could make your stay as comfortable as possible. We look forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle in the near future.

Reviewed 6 January 2011

This hotel lives up to its incredible high standards! I came here in December as a surprise for my partner for his birthday and he was blown away! The old exterior on the outside mixed with the urban renewal on the inside is an amazing combination! the staff are polite and courteous and will always go above and beyond. It's my second stay here now and I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in Dublin. It is a little out the way of town, however there are buses that very easy to get to and from with this hotel. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for such a kind review. At Clontarf Castle, we strive for continuous improvement to provide the best customer service for our guests, and I’m delighted that this standard was achieved during your stay. I certainly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again, to make your next stay even more memorable than the last.

Reviewed 4 January 2011

Due to our flight cancellation on Christmas Eve we found ourselves without a place to sleep for the night. We had our 11 year old son with us. I found the number of the Clontarf Castle Hotel and called reception. The girl was not particularly helpful. I explained the situation to her and that I was calling from a hotel at the airport that was about to close it's doors for Christmas! She had a twin room available and although it would be a tight squeeze with our son in the room she accepted the booking which would include breakfast for the adults at 109 euro. The child would be an extra charge for children's menu.

I lived close to the location of this hotel for 35 years before I moved to the countryside. It's a popular hotel among locals. There were many guest staying here over the Christmas holidays as part of a 'package deal'. There were carol singers on Christmas eve and children's treasure hunt etc..on Christmas Day. Due to the severe icy road conditions and heavy snowfall we had endured a lengthy and very tense 3-4 hour drive to the airport and then a further 4 hour delay on a flight. By the time we arrived at reception we were very upset and our son was distressed due to not having 'Santa' arrive the next day.
We were handed our keys and thats was it. No extra little treat such as other reviewers mentioned they were treated to. I had actually expected a bit more in the way of service from the staff due to our son being so upset but no, nothing. The place was very busy.
Staff in bar/restaurant were pushed to the limit and our waiter was constantly apologising to us. We told him not to worry. The food when it arrived was not the best. I was very disappointed. I didn't complain as the waiter was so nice and it was clearly a busy night for all the staff. The atmosphere was very pleasant and a nice mix of people and ages. The decor , as previously mentioned by other reviewers is beautiful. I do love the hotel's style. It's very relaxing. The open fire was lovely and had elderly guests nodding off peacefully beside it!.

Even though we were not part of the Christmas 'package' guests staying there, it would still have been a nice gesture for the hotel to offer for our son to see Santa and take part in the treasure hunt on Christmas morning. He was feeling left out, as any child would on such a special day. My husband and son went for breakfast next morning, and the food was not hot and not replenished. There seemed to be a bit of chaos among staff and a lot of guests were complaining among themselves and grumbling but none spoke up about it. Again very disappointing. The car parking is free and the hotel is located in a lovely area and a nice short distance from the Dublin City centre. A lovely park nearby. The best in Ireland! St. Anne's Park Raheny. Take a walk there. Buses to the city are close by and I would recommend this hotel to all. I would book a few nights stay for my parents anytime and perhaps will consider next Christmas as a holiday treat for them, hopefully the staff can cope with the crowds next year! The rooms are good value, check out offers and packages they have good ones throughout the year.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the food, as we usually pride ourselves on our locally sourced, excellent quality food. I’m delighted that you had a relaxing stay with us. Please come back to stay with us soon and I do hope to be welcoming your parents for Christmas next year.

Mark Long,