“Very large hotel, good quality.”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 29 January 2011

We stayed for one friday night in this hotel. It is a very large hotel. It's about 10 minutes drive from Howth, which is where we ate... a lot of very good seafood restaurants there. It was very busy when we arrived at 7pm, and we couldn't find any parking at the hotel.

The room was large, and the bed was large, king size, and very comfortable. There were a couple of niggles, but we were happy in general.... When you leave the room, the temperature panel seems to default back to 24 degrees C. The lowest we could set it to was 19, which we are not used to and found it uncomfortably hot during the night. Our view from room was of thehotels glass recycling area. No conditioner was provided with the shampoo, and the hairdryer was next to useless at 1500watts. (A good hairdryer is 3000w). The sink had a large crack in it.

The staff were very helpful, I asked for extra pillows and it was no problem, they were delivered to the room.

Wifi is available in and is listed as 'high speed'. It was about 0.8MB down, and 0.4 up... so, very slow even by irish domestic standards. Not good enough for working or, but ok for checking email.

No pool.

Breakfast is very good, a wide range of fresh fruit, juices, pastries, bread, and hot food in the buffet. Other items like omelette and pancake availalble to order. A decent coffee machine is also available, along with the days papers.

Checkout and checkin were quick and efficient. No complaints there. Staff polite and helpful at all times. In general I would recommend the hotel, but there is room for some improvement.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and I must apologise for the inconveniences which you experienced in the room. This is very unusual as we do provide good quality amenities in our guest rooms. I hope to welcome you back to the castle in the future.

Your Sincerely,

Mark Long,

There are newer reviews for Clontarf Castle Hotel

Reviewed 24 January 2011

The place was a unique experience and the rooms were nice. My major complaint is that the staff was snotty and were all very unhelpful except for one. I would hope that a place charging this much would have great customer service. I have a large phone bill from trying to call about a left item. I talked to four different people. They all pushed me off, acted as if I was annoying and told me they would courier my item to me. When I called back each time after I had not received the item, I found out they had done nothing. Then they would give me the same runaround. The front desk and managers were all horrible. I finally was able to talk to the head of the maid service and the woman there was very helpful. I received my left item with her help or at least guidance on how to pay for my own courier service to collect it. Thank goodness the hotel I was staying in after this one, was extremely helpful.
The hotel is also far from the city center, so unless you have a car I would not recommend staying there.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed the castle experience. I am very disappointed to hear you were unhappy with our staff. We usually pride ourselves on our excellent service standards and I am very sorry that this was not reflected in your stay with us. I hope that you consider visiting us again in the future so we can have the opportunity to provide our usual warm Irish welcome during your stay.

Mark Long,

Reviewed 17 January 2011

Clontarf Castle was a very unique place to stay. It has a castle façade with a modern interior. The castle was in very good condition. The outside was well manicured, and the inside was clean and interesting. The rooms are all modern. We found out that for 40 Euro more (we paid about 140 Euro) you can get a 4 poster bed, and for about 100Euro more your can get one of the nice suites. That is a bargain given the Westin wanted 500+ Euro / night. We went to the Knights bar for a drink. The bartender Julian was wonderful! In the whole 7 day trip I didn’t come across a nicer more helpful bartender. He was knowledgeable regarding his beers, and food, and was just a genuinely nice guy. We ate dinner in the Fahrenheit restaurant. What a great dinner! We started with the soups (Potato leek, and Seafood Bisque [which wasn’t cream based]). The soups were really tasty. For our main dish, we ordered the Wicklow Lamb. What a FANTASTIC dish! The plates came hot to the table, and the lamb was perfectly cooked and seasoned. Along with the lamb we had chips and really nice veggies.

The front desk staff was very friendly and efficient on check in/out. While we didn’t spend a lot of time in the common areas, they felt very castle like, and looked relaxing. Its only a quick 10 min. drive to the airport, so its nice if you’re coming in from the West and have a flight our of Dublin the next day.

I would highly recommend a stay at Clontarf castle.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank redneck6497
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for a lovely review. Our mission statement “making history through our passion for excellence” is driven by our need to understand and exceed customer expectations in terms of customer service standards and excellent quality products. I am delighted to hear that you could experience this during your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to the castle, if you decide to return to Ireland in the future.

Reviewed 7 January 2011

This was the nicest hotel i have ever stayed in, beautifully decorated with several comfortable seating areas to unwind and relax . Breakfast was tasty pancakes are a must. Resturant food was average. Would definately revisit this hotel and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great compliments. I’m delighted to hear that we could make your stay as comfortable as possible. We look forward to welcoming you back to Clontarf Castle in the near future.

Reviewed 6 January 2011

This hotel lives up to its incredible high standards! I came here in December as a surprise for my partner for his birthday and he was blown away! The old exterior on the outside mixed with the urban renewal on the inside is an amazing combination! the staff are polite and courteous and will always go above and beyond. It's my second stay here now and I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in Dublin. It is a little out the way of town, however there are buses that very easy to get to and from with this hotel. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for such a kind review. At Clontarf Castle, we strive for continuous improvement to provide the best customer service for our guests, and I’m delighted that this standard was achieved during your stay. I certainly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again, to make your next stay even more memorable than the last.