“Free updrade to the Honeymoon Suite!”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 9 November 2010

Turned up late one Friday evening as an impromptu night away with my partner as we found a good offer on the internet for a double room. We turned up and there was an event in full swing in their large event room near the main desk. We asked if it was possible to be away from any noise and we were told that was no problem and were given a room on the fourth floor. Instead of a double room we found ourselves in a beautiful suite and discovered the next morning that we had been given a free upgrade to the honeymoon suite! The guy on the desk was lovely, breakfast the next morning was delicious and the place overall really impressed us with the interesting layout and obvious effort they have put into the decor. The real fire in the entrance hall is a lovely touch. We will be back!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,297)

Reviewed 5 November 2010

We stayed for one night only and I was expecting much more from the website. I felt that the rooms were very small and cramped. I thought that they were all very generic and not at all exclusive. The shower was lovely to look at but not much use. The loo was jammed up to the side of the shower and you got a cold leg from the shower cubicle. The loo roll was cheap, nasty and rough. The hairdryer only worked intermittantly. The night we stayed it was really windy and something was banging on the roof outside my window which woke me at about 5 am. The staff throughout the hotel are absolutely brilliant. Nothing is too much trouble for them. They responded really well to a difficult question and sorted it out quickly. The staff made up for the disappointing room.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank caveman3000
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2010

Dear Guest,

I’m deeply sorry to hear that you had a disruptive sleep in our hotel, and that you weren’t fully satisfied with our facilities. Please be advised that there are upgrades available at very reasonable prices which offer a lot more exclusivity, luxury and space. I’m very pleased that our staff made up for the disappointing room. We pride ourselves on understanding and exceeding our customers expectations. Please contact me directly if you decide to stay with us again and I will do everything I can to take care of your booking.

Reviewed 3 November 2010

We stayed in Clontarf Castle for one night for our 1st Anniversary and were not dissapointed. I had been emailing back and forth to the reservations team with a few special requests as to which room we wanted and to have a few extras in place for our arrival and they delivered perfectly much to my wifes delight ! The ambiance is stunning with the lobby based around the aincient castle tower keep and it has been draped in thematic drapes showing part of the history of the place - very tastlefully done. TIP - if you intend to eat in the restaurant at the weekend book your table before arrival as it gets busy ! Food really good too and the staff were very helpful and polite even when ubder pressure with many orders ! Overall a great expierence and would really advise this as a great alternative to the hussle and bustle of the city centre hotels, whilst still being within 10 minutes of the centre by car or public transport

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

What a great review! We’re delighted that we could make your 1st anniversary as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. We would be more than happy to have you back to celebrate another year. Please contact us if you do decide to stay again in the future. We hope to deliver an even more memorable stay than the last!

Reviewed 2 November 2010

My positive experience at the Clontarf Castle Hotel began before I landed in Dublin. One of the concierge staff, Vijay, and I had several email communications regarding tours. He was extremely helpful and responsive and booked tours without a problem. Three days before my departure to Ireland my friend had to back out of the trip. I once again emailed Vijay and he was able to obtain refunds for my friend's portion of the pre-booked tours. I am sorry I never had the opportunity to meet Vijay in person to thank him for his excellent customer service; our schedules unfortunately just didn't make a meeting possible.

I arrived in Dublin around 10:00 on 24 October. Shortly after 11:00 I was in my room unpacking. The room was great; roomy by European standards, very clean and quiet. I had a nice lunch in the Knight's Bar.

During the seven nights I spent at the Clontarf Castle I found the staff tiobe very responsive, welcoming, and knowledgable. I was especially impressed by a young man named Leandro who helped me with every question I asked (and I asked many) and who seemed to always be at the desk regardless of when I came into or left the hotel. A nice gentleman named Carl helped me book a last minute tour and I appreciated his knowledge of the options available. I never learned the names of the cleaning lady on my floor (a lovely woman with long blonde hair) or one of the female servers in the Knight's Bar (medium length brown hair who gave excellent advice for jet lag recovery) but they were very helpful and efficient as well.

I live in downtown Washington DC so I have the big city experience every day. I like the location slightly outside of the city, but with excellent transportation into the city of the Clontarf Castle. The number 130 bus has to be the most reliable bus on the planet (it certainly beats any bus in DC!). I honestly walked on to the bus departing the hotel every morning (with the exception of one day when I took a taxi to Heuston Station) and at the other end I only waited for 5 minutes once on Lower Abbey Road.

I am already looking forward to a return trip to Ireland and will stay at the Clontarf Castle Hotel again. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo

Wow, what a lovely, insightful review, thank you! I am delighted to hear that you had such a pleasant stay at the castle. Our mission statement “making history through our passion for excellence” is driven by understanding and exceeding customer expectations, and I am glad that this was reflected in your stay with us. Your comments have been passed onto our staff.

We’d be delighted to welcome you back to the castle. Please do contact me when you return to Ireland, I will do everything I can to ensure that you have another memorable stay.

Reviewed 2 November 2010

Myself and my partner stayed in Clontarf Castle for 2 nights. We were checked in by Noel on reception who was extremely polite and helpful. Our room was beautiful, spacious and clean and I could not fault it. Wi-Fi is provided free of charge so thats great.

The first night we stayed we had dinner in the hotel and this was just fantastic. Everything was cooked to perfection and the staff in the restaurant was polite and attentive.
After dinner we sat in the indigo lounge and had a drink. we were there the weekend of Halloween so there were a number of events on including a table quiz in the lounge this particular night. We just sat in a corner and had our drinks and the young bar man who was on said it was fine that it was an open quiz (even though we arrived too late to participate), later on an older bar man essentially threw us out (it was only about 11pm and there were plenty of other people still in the lounge) and he was quite rude about it. We moved to the bar and didnt think too much about it.

Breakfast was a buffet and it was lovely. Plenty of choice and everything was fresh.
Overall we had a nice stay. The hotel is stunning and has a lovely atmosphere.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank You very much for your insightful review. I hope you were able to enjoy some other Bram Stoker Festival activities during your stay. Your kind comments have been passed on to all of our staff and we will strive for continuous improvement.

I would also like to apologise for the abruptness of the bar staff you encountered. We normally pride ourselves on our excellent customer service standards and I’m sorry to hear that we fell short on your visit.

We hope that you will stay with us at Clontarf Castle again.