“Great Hotel; Even Better Service”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 2 November 2010

My positive experience at the Clontarf Castle Hotel began before I landed in Dublin. One of the concierge staff, Vijay, and I had several email communications regarding tours. He was extremely helpful and responsive and booked tours without a problem. Three days before my departure to Ireland my friend had to back out of the trip. I once again emailed Vijay and he was able to obtain refunds for my friend's portion of the pre-booked tours. I am sorry I never had the opportunity to meet Vijay in person to thank him for his excellent customer service; our schedules unfortunately just didn't make a meeting possible.

I arrived in Dublin around 10:00 on 24 October. Shortly after 11:00 I was in my room unpacking. The room was great; roomy by European standards, very clean and quiet. I had a nice lunch in the Knight's Bar.

During the seven nights I spent at the Clontarf Castle I found the staff tiobe very responsive, welcoming, and knowledgable. I was especially impressed by a young man named Leandro who helped me with every question I asked (and I asked many) and who seemed to always be at the desk regardless of when I came into or left the hotel. A nice gentleman named Carl helped me book a last minute tour and I appreciated his knowledge of the options available. I never learned the names of the cleaning lady on my floor (a lovely woman with long blonde hair) or one of the female servers in the Knight's Bar (medium length brown hair who gave excellent advice for jet lag recovery) but they were very helpful and efficient as well.

I live in downtown Washington DC so I have the big city experience every day. I like the location slightly outside of the city, but with excellent transportation into the city of the Clontarf Castle. The number 130 bus has to be the most reliable bus on the planet (it certainly beats any bus in DC!). I honestly walked on to the bus departing the hotel every morning (with the exception of one day when I took a taxi to Heuston Station) and at the other end I only waited for 5 minutes once on Lower Abbey Road.

I am already looking forward to a return trip to Ireland and will stay at the Clontarf Castle Hotel again. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2010

Wow, what a lovely, insightful review, thank you! I am delighted to hear that you had such a pleasant stay at the castle. Our mission statement “making history through our passion for excellence” is driven by understanding and exceeding customer expectations, and I am glad that this was reflected in your stay with us. Your comments have been passed onto our staff.

We’d be delighted to welcome you back to the castle. Please do contact me when you return to Ireland, I will do everything I can to ensure that you have another memorable stay.

There are newer reviews for Clontarf Castle Hotel

Reviewed 2 November 2010

Myself and my partner stayed in Clontarf Castle for 2 nights. We were checked in by Noel on reception who was extremely polite and helpful. Our room was beautiful, spacious and clean and I could not fault it. Wi-Fi is provided free of charge so thats great.

The first night we stayed we had dinner in the hotel and this was just fantastic. Everything was cooked to perfection and the staff in the restaurant was polite and attentive.
After dinner we sat in the indigo lounge and had a drink. we were there the weekend of Halloween so there were a number of events on including a table quiz in the lounge this particular night. We just sat in a corner and had our drinks and the young bar man who was on said it was fine that it was an open quiz (even though we arrived too late to participate), later on an older bar man essentially threw us out (it was only about 11pm and there were plenty of other people still in the lounge) and he was quite rude about it. We moved to the bar and didnt think too much about it.

Breakfast was a buffet and it was lovely. Plenty of choice and everything was fresh.
Overall we had a nice stay. The hotel is stunning and has a lovely atmosphere.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank You very much for your insightful review. I hope you were able to enjoy some other Bram Stoker Festival activities during your stay. Your kind comments have been passed on to all of our staff and we will strive for continuous improvement.

I would also like to apologise for the abruptness of the bar staff you encountered. We normally pride ourselves on our excellent customer service standards and I’m sorry to hear that we fell short on your visit.

We hope that you will stay with us at Clontarf Castle again.

Reviewed 31 October 2010

We stayed at Clontarf Castle for three days in October with twins aged 8. Quite simply, I have to say that we all loved the place. It was extremely well furnished and very clean, and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. Plenty of free parking too. I could bang on a bit more but - to put it in a nutshell - it is quite simply a lovely place to stay; especially if you don't demand the Liffey on your doorstep. We wouldn't hesitate in the slightest to book again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank GSMB

Thank you so much for a great review! This will only motivate us to do even better in achieving and maintaining our high standards. We’d be delighted to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 October 2010

The Clontarf Castle Hotel is a place you have to stay. The hotel is one of the best I have stayed in in awhile. It is clean and well managed. The staff was always ready to help even a slow Yank. The meals were well prepared and good. The room was pleasant. The history is well presented and interesting. Please make it a stay for you in Dublin.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business

What a lovely review! I’m delighted to hear you had such a pleasant stay with us and hope you’ll come and stay in the castle soon!

Reviewed 28 October 2010

The hotel was clean and comfortable. In the late evening the hotel had no water. I got up in the middle of the night and could not obtain a drink of water. I went down to the front desk and was told there was a water supply issue that was being worked on. I inquired about getting something to drink and was told they were working on the water supply. I had to go out to the car park at 1 am to get a bottle of water. The desk staff did not offer to obtain anything for me from the bar or kitchen and did not offer to reduce our bill due to the inconvienence. The restaurants did not live up to their billing for quality or service.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mitchellm359m

Thank You for your review. I would like to apologise for the inconvenience. I can understand how frustrating it must have been. Unfortunately, there was not a lot that we could do about the water supply, however I’m surprised to hear that our front desk staff would not provide a complimentary bottle of water. Please be assured that this is not usual practice, as we pride ourselves on our excellent service standards. Please contact me directly if you decide to stay with us again and I will do everything I can to take care of your booking.