Clontarf Castle Hotel
US$273
Doubletree
US$269
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Dublin Parnell Street(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$214
US$173
US$529
US$513
  • Restaurant
Dublin Skylon Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$131
  • Restaurant
Sheldon Park Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$116
US$257
Travelocity
4,396 results
All reviewsknights barfahrenheit grillindigo loungereal castlefour poster bedmodern amenitiescity centreamazing hotelbus stopdublin airportirelandweddingvijayarmourconciergehowtheuro
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 November 2010

Myself and my partner stayed in Clontarf Castle for 2 nights. We were checked in by Noel on reception who was extremely polite and helpful. Our room was beautiful, spacious and clean and I could not fault it. Wi-Fi is provided free of charge so thats great.

The first night we stayed we had dinner in the hotel and this was just fantastic. Everything was cooked to perfection and the staff in the restaurant was polite and attentive.
After dinner we sat in the indigo lounge and had a drink. we were there the weekend of Halloween so there were a number of events on including a table quiz in the lounge this particular night. We just sat in a corner and had our drinks and the young bar man who was on said it was fine that it was an open quiz (even though we arrived too late to participate), later on an older bar man essentially threw us out (it was only about 11pm and there were plenty of other people still in the lounge) and he was quite rude about it. We moved to the bar and didnt think too much about it.

Breakfast was a buffet and it was lovely. Plenty of choice and everything was fresh.
Overall we had a nice stay. The hotel is stunning and has a lovely atmosphere.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2010

Thank You very much for your insightful review. I hope you were able to enjoy some other Bram Stoker Festival activities during your stay. Your kind comments have been passed on to all of our staff and we will strive for continuous improvement.

I would also like to apologise for the abruptness of the bar staff you encountered. We normally pride ourselves on our excellent customer service standards and I’m sorry to hear that we fell short on your visit.

We hope that you will stay with us at Clontarf Castle again.

Reviewed 31 October 2010

We stayed at Clontarf Castle for three days in October with twins aged 8. Quite simply, I have to say that we all loved the place. It was extremely well furnished and very clean, and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. Plenty of free parking too. I could bang on a bit more but - to put it in a nutshell - it is quite simply a lovely place to stay; especially if you don't demand the Liffey on your doorstep. We wouldn't hesitate in the slightest to book again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank GSMB

Thank you so much for a great review! This will only motivate us to do even better in achieving and maintaining our high standards. We’d be delighted to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 October 2010

The Clontarf Castle Hotel is a place you have to stay. The hotel is one of the best I have stayed in in awhile. It is clean and well managed. The staff was always ready to help even a slow Yank. The meals were well prepared and good. The room was pleasant. The history is well presented and interesting. Please make it a stay for you in Dublin.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business

What a lovely review! I’m delighted to hear you had such a pleasant stay with us and hope you’ll come and stay in the castle soon!

Reviewed 28 October 2010

The hotel was clean and comfortable. In the late evening the hotel had no water. I got up in the middle of the night and could not obtain a drink of water. I went down to the front desk and was told there was a water supply issue that was being worked on. I inquired about getting something to drink and was told they were working on the water supply. I had to go out to the car park at 1 am to get a bottle of water. The desk staff did not offer to obtain anything for me from the bar or kitchen and did not offer to reduce our bill due to the inconvienence. The restaurants did not live up to their billing for quality or service.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mitchellm359m

Thank You for your review. I would like to apologise for the inconvenience. I can understand how frustrating it must have been. Unfortunately, there was not a lot that we could do about the water supply, however I’m surprised to hear that our front desk staff would not provide a complimentary bottle of water. Please be assured that this is not usual practice, as we pride ourselves on our excellent service standards. Please contact me directly if you decide to stay with us again and I will do everything I can to take care of your booking.

Reviewed 17 October 2010

Clontarf is an interesting building, being a combination of castle ruins and modern architecture. They are obviously proud of their heritage, as there were at least 3 blurbs in the room detailing the history of the place. Since it's in a residential neighbourhood, options of things to do in the area are limited but the small grounds deserve a walk-around, and there are some nice pictures to be taken inside and out. Our driver on the way out told us there was a local rugby club within walking distance, and if you're lucky you can catch a game.

Having said that, the front desk staff were awful (cleaning staff were very nice though). They were rude during check-in, trying to sell us breakfast in the morning after we had said no thanks. They also have postcards of the hotel on the counter, and when I picked one up to look at it, the staff member placed it back on the stack and pointed to the sign reading Postcards: 1.50/each. There was a wedding going on that night, so there was a lot of noise which was very audible in the rooms, even though we were well down the corridor. Also, dining options were limited to the hotel restaurant which seemed to be hosting the wedding party, but luckily we had brought our own dinner having heard the restaurant was not worth the price. So, we were surprised in the morning at checkout when there was a 50+ euro charge for food on our bill. The front desk said that they would need to send someone up to the room to 'verify our claim' of not having cleaned out the minibar. When the staff reported back that the charge was in error, the gentleman at the front desk didnt so much as apologize. I asked for a taxi to the airport, and he said there was one waiting outside. I walked our things outside and no taxi, so I asked again if they could call one. I was met with a heavy sigh but thankfully also a phone call to the taxi dispatcher. The cabbie couldnt have been nicer, and after a quick drive we were at the airport, which is conveniently close.

All in all the building is worth a look since it's pretty well constructed and unique. The lobby is nicely furnished, and you'll come away with some great pictures. However, since the rooms were not particularly well appointed and you'll hear everything going on around you all night long, we'd recommend having a pint or a cocktail at the bar and moving on.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank RebaSinVerguenza

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We’re incredibly disappointed to hear about the abruptness of the staff at front desk. Please be assured that this is by no means normal practice as we pride ourselves on delivering a warm, friendly and efficient guest experience.

We’re also very sorry that you had to endure the disruptive noise from the wedding. Unfortunately on the occasion there are private events in the hotel where we wouldn’t have a lot of control over the type of entertainment. I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the confusion regarding the bill. I am aware of how frustrating it may have been.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again, and give us the opportunity to offer you the true Clontarf Castle experience.