“Fusion Afternoon Tea Experience”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

My sister in law and myself had our annual afternoon tea treat today at Clontarf castle and we were not disappointed. From the moment we arrived we were greeted with the most professional and friendly staff. This was one of my favourite afternoon tea treats without a doubt. Delicious food at a very reasonable price, the loveliest staff and a very relaxing atmosphere to top it off. We truely could've sat in the stunning lobby all evening. Special mention to Cormac Rose who was most knowledgeable about all 12 tea choices. He was most welcoming. We will, without a doubt be back. Thank you Clontarf Castle

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Jason_Ormston, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Dear Karen C,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Clontarf Castle.

It is always so uplifting to hear that enjoyed the Fusion Afternoon Tea that it has become a tradition of sorts. I am truly delighted that we have lived up to your expectations and that you were greeted with a professional and friendly manner by our team.

I am so glad that the food was delicious and that you could enjoy it in a very relaxing atmosphere. Rest assure I will make Cormac aware of his special mention, as I know he will be thrilled to hear that his knowledge of all the twelve teas was noticed and that he was so welcoming.

Thank you again for you kind review and I hope we get to welcome you back again in the near future.

Jason Ormston

Write a ReviewReviews (4,248)

Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

I attended the DCU graduation ball here on Friday 3rd of November. At €70 each for a ticket I was disappointed with the quality of food, service and entertainment provided for the price paid. Firstly there was no choice on the menu, standard ceasar salad, turkey and ham, and apple and rhubarb crumble. The service was slow, with the veg arriving at our table (14) long before the food, leaving it cold when the mains finally arrived. Throughout our time in college we have attended many balls where tickets were sold at half the price with excellent menu choice, efficient service and high quality entertainment in hotels at the same 4 star standard as yourselves. To be honest I feel like we were let down by your hotel on this special occasion.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shannon L
Reviewed 3 November 2017

We arrived a couple hours before our room was ready so we walked around the castle and the cemetery until we could check in. Staying here was one of the most anticipated aspects of this trip and we were not let down. We took breakfast both mornings at Fahrenheit restaurant- freshly smoked lox, soda bread, Wicklow ham, grilled vegetables, Dublin sausages, black and white pudding, poached eggs, smoked cheese, crisp potatoes, fresh squeezed juices, diced fruits and fruit salads, pastries, smoothies, tea, and coffee were just part of what they offered on the breakfast bar. My favourite item was a large box full of honey comb that you could swirl up with a giant dipper and drizzle over your plate. The Knights Bar is great also, and they are open late.

Concierge is very helpful with hailing taxis, wake up calls, local recommendations, and secure storage. The castle plays classical renditions of many gothic favourites from Edward Scissorhands, Dracula, Nightmare Before Christmas, and other spooky films over the sound system, to our delight. Rooms were very clean, beds were so comfortable, and they allow (paid) early check in and late check outs if you like.

Stayed: October 2017
2  Thank lulumichelle

Dear lulumichelle,

Many thanks for your lovely review about your recent stay at Clontarf Castle.

I am delighted to hear that your time with us lived up to your expectations. Thank you so much for your kind comments about the Artisan Breakfast Buffet, I am thrilled that you enjoyed the array of selection so much.

Rest assure I will pass on you kind comments onto the concierge team as I know they will be so happy to hear they were so helpful during your time at the Castle. I am so glad that you felt the Castle linked with the classic gothic greats, especially since Bram Stroker the writer of Dracula was from Clontarf and said to be a regular at the Castle.

Thank you again for your lovely comments and I hope we get to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 3 November 2017

I stayed at Clontarf Castle when visiting Dublin on Business and, unfortunately, for only one night as it seems a wonderful hotel. The hotel is set within an old castle and has a lovely peaceful setting. The interior of the hotel seems to have been renovated very recently and there is an excellent and stylish combination of the old charm of the original buildings frontage with modern twist (art work, rich colours of purples and reds etc.).

I arrived late and my check-in was very friendly and efficient. My room on the 2nd floor was very tastefully, elegantly and warmly decorated with a huge flat screen TV, a good size bathroom and large walk-in shower with some high, quality local complementary toiletries. The only down side of the shower was the design with 2 heads and it not being clear which way to turn the tap to make either one work, be-warned as you can get an unexpected spray of luke warm water! The bed was very large and comfortable and the room was quiet, despite the hotel seeming pretty full.
I only had one negative comment and that was that when I got to my room I decided to order a hot meal as room service which was shown as available until 11pm on the room service card. However, I was told that only sandwiches were available and, when I pointed out I was only 2 minutes late, I was told that the hot meals actually ended at 9pm. Firstly, this seems pretty early and secondly if that is the case then the hotel needs to correct the room service cards.

However, the breakfast the next day made up for this as it was absolutely superb with a huge array of cold and hot locally sourced produce. I stay in many hotels on both Business and leisure and rated the overall quality of breakfast and friendly service as being exceptional.

Check Out was again very quick, friendly and efficient although I’m still awaiting my Invoice to be emailed through as I had requested, so will have to chase up.

Overall my stay at Clontarf Castle was all too brief but I really loved the way the hotel had been designed, its overall ambiance, friendliness and comfort. Despite the couple of negative points I described, I will definitely being staying again when I next come back to Dublin and would recommend highly!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Robesi

Dear Robesi,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Clontarf Castle.

I am thrilled to see that you felt there was an excellent and stylish combination of the old charm of the original buildings with a modern twist of the new. I am also delighted that your check in was friendly and efficient and that your bedroom was elegant and warmly decorated.

It is all I can do but apologise for the confusion caused by the room service cards and can assure you that this matter will be looked into further and has been passed onto the relevant departments. I am glad however to hear that your dining experience in the Artisan Breakfast Buffet made up for this and that you enjoyed the array of locally sourced food that was displayed.

Thank you for your lovely comments about the team, as I know they strive to make everyone’s time at the Castle memorable and to hear that their service was exceptional shows they are doing just that.

Should future travels take you back to Clontarf Castle Hotel, or if you have yet to receive your invoice please reach out to me directly so I can personally tend to your reservation and look after your room allocations.

Once again, thank you for sharing your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel.

jormston@clontarfcastle.ie

Reviewed 2 November 2017 via mobile

Beautiful hotel, booked by a colleague. Can’t fault any of it really, the breakfast was fantastic and catered for all. The decoration is very high quality albeit very historic and regal. But you are staying in a castle! Unfortunately due to staying with work, I didn’t really get chance to take advantage of the whole hotel. But the bedrooms are nice. You get tea, coffee, soaps etc. There is a chargeable minibar, but I didn’t use it. I found the beds to be very comfortable and slept quite well for a change.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Jason_Ormston, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2017

Dear Andrewd4m,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Clontarf Castle.

I am delighted that you found the Castle beautiful and that you enjoyed your stay so much. I am thrilled to hear that you could not fault the hotel in any way and that your dining experience at the Artisan Breakfast Buffet was fantastic.

Thank you so much for your lovely comments about the décor of the Castle, and I am so happy to hear that you were able to get a good night’s sleep due to the beds. We hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.