“Warm welcome in a magical hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clontarf Castle Hotel

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #4 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Cheshire
“Warm welcome in a magical hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2017

I can't say enough nice things about this hotel but I'll try.
I have been celebrating my Birthdays at this hotel every year since my 40th.
I'm now 52 from the moment you enter the grounds and see the magnificent Castle you know you are some where really special.
The Breakfast is served buffet style with lovely bacon ,sausage,right up to fresh honey and Greek yoghurt.
Knights bar offer a casual and relaxed atmosphere where staff are always on hand with good advice on choosing a delicious meal.
All rooms have been fully refurbished last year and are amazing.
This is a really great hotel if you want to celebrate a special occasion.
Thank you to all the staff for making my Birthday really special I look forward to staying next year.
Also a special thank you to Jason Ormston for the lovely surprise.

Room Tip: Bed and breakfast is excellent value
  • Stayed February 2017, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Cleanliness
1 Thank 4leeds
JOrmstonClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2017
Dear 4leeds,

Many thanks for your brilliant review following your recent stay at Clontarf Castle Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Castle especially as it was for such a special occasion, your birthday! It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and we are delighted to share your comments with the team, who undoubtedly will be encouraged by your remarks.

Thank you again for your review and we hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Castle again.

Jason Ormston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Smithtown, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2017

Was home in Ireland for a week and wanted to get away for a night with my niece and
sisters. I chose Clontarf Castle Hotel based on other reviews and it certainly did not disappoint. From the moment we arrived we were greeted by a very pleasant receptionist, Tina, who was so sweet and so helpful. We booked a large family room for the four of us and it was a nice size on the second floor, close to the restaurant. The bathroom could certainly use some new grouting and updating. It was looking a little old. We booked a special offer one evening meal and breakfast included. Had dinner that night and the service and food were great. We had a young waiter and he was very pleasant and helpful. There are so many great comfortable places to sit in this hotel and lots of fires going. Breakfast was amazing, the buffet was really wonderful with really great food. This hotel is 15 minutes from the city center so it's in a perfect location. They took care of our bags for us while we went shopping and when we came back we decided to have lunch in the bar. Again the food was incredible and a great atmosphere in the bar. There was some big sport event there that day so it was very busy but the staff here are just so incredibly nice. I only wish we had stayed two nights. I loved everything about this place, the interior is beautiful but the staff really make it so pleasant. Can't wait to return and can't believe how affordable it was.

Room Tip: Second floor room was close to restaurant which was nice.
  • Stayed January 2017, travelled with family
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
1 Thank my4boys
Dear my4boys,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review of your recent stay with us here at Clontarf Castle Hotel. We are delighted to hear that you had such a memorable experience and we thank you for your kind comments about the exceptional service that we are so proud to deliver to all our guests. Please be assured that I will notify the entire team of your feedback especially Tina, who will be delighted with your kind comments.

Thanks again for your brilliant review and I do hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Clontarf Castle Hotel in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2017

had a lovely stay at the Clontarf castle. Beautiful hotel, friendly staff, couldn't ask for more.

Receptionist gave us an upgrade as it was my partners birthday and also brought us up a happy birthday treat. That was appreciated and made it all complete.

Can totally recommend the hotel

• Stayed February 2017, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Stephen M
JOrmstonClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2017
Dear Stephen M,

On behalf of everybody here at Clontarf Castle Hotel, thank you for your very kind comments about the team and facilities we have here at the Castle. We are delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable experience especially as it was for your partner’s birthday. Thanks again and I do hope that we get an opportunity to welcome you back to the Castle in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2017 via mobile

Beautiful hotel and lovely staff! They were very helpful from getting us a taxi to recommending restaurants. The rooms were clean. We didn't eat at the restaurant on site but friends of ours did and they said it was excellent.

I truly felt like I was staying in a castle! I have no complaints!

Stayed May 2016, travelled as a couple
1 Thank njgriff
Dear njgriff,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I am thrilled to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay in particular the beauty of our 12th century Castle Hotel. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2017 via mobile

Visited this lovely hotel during a rugby weekend and had hoped to watch the match in a bar/lounge with other Ireland loving fans. It's just not that sort of place and for many that's a good thing. One might describe everything about the hotel as "very very civilised ".
Very lovely lunch menu on offer and the staff were excellent. Food was very good but be warned; they don't stint on portions. So you need a good walk afterwards.
The hotel itself is tucked away from the main thoroughfare but only 10 minutes or so brings you down onto the main road.
The hotel decor is amazing. They have tastefully built around the remains of the castle and because of that there are all sorts of nooks and strange spaces on the ground floor. That actually adds to the character of the place.
There are of course all the ancient items sprinkled around giving many super opportunities for photos.
We didn't book the restaurant in advance on unfortunately on our arrival it was already fully booked. I've heard great reports about it and was disappointed to miss out on the experience.
The room was very good with everything you might need.

Stayed February 2017, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mary M
Dear Mary M,

On behalf of everybody here at Clontarf Castle Hotel, I would like thank you for your very kind comments regarding your recent stay at the Castle and I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the historical yet contemporary decor of our 12th century castle hotel. I do apologise that we had no availability in Fahrenheit however hopefully on your next visit you can dine in our restaurant

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our guests and I will be delighted to share your comments with the team. Thank you again for your review and we do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.