“How do you hide a castle?” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clontarf Castle Hotel

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #4 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Manchester, New Hampshire
“How do you hide a castle?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2017

One of the most important sites of military history in Ireland - the site of the Battle of Clontarf - is now a most welcoming hotel, but one tucked away in a lovely residential neighborhood, yet steps away from Dublin Bay. To enter the building is to feel immediately the heritage of the place, but it's the amenities -- the quality of the rooms, the culinary standards of the dining room and Knight's Bar, and the service of the staff.
Our stay was most enjoyable, in large part to the lovely service of Juliet in the Knight's Bar. She was most welcoming and gracious. We'll certainly be back.

Room Tip: If possible, seek a room with a view out the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2017, travelled as a couple
      Location
1 Thank Steve R
JOrmstonClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2017
Dear Steve R,

Many thanks for your brilliant review following your recent stay at Clontarf Castle Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Clontarf Castle Hotel in particular the historical ambience of our 12th century castle hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your Knights Bar experience especially the service you received from Juliet, who will be delighted with your kind comments.

Jason Ormston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Frederiksberg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2017

I was on a two-day business meeting at Clontarf Castle Hotel in 2017. In general it was a positive experience. The staff was friendly and service minded. On arriving early I got my room two hours prior to what was promised. The room was clean and equipped with a nice tea and coffee making kit as well as complimentary water bottles. The bed was comfortable. And the hotel breakfast was appetizing.

However, there were also a couple of issues for improvement: The bathroom shaver socket was broken. The in-room safety deposit box didn’t work. The windows were draughty, and the bathroom with no heat source was really cold in January. The hotel restaurant provided high quality food, but appeared to be understaffed, struggling to serve a private company of nine timely with drinks, dishes and side dishes in the right order.

But in total these drawbacks didn't spoil the overall impression of a nice hotel well above average.

• Stayed January 2017, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
1 Thank Kaare J
Dear kaare J,

Thank you for your review of Clontarf Castle Hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay while attending a business meeting at the hotel however I am saddened to hear that there was some elements during your stay that you were disappointed with. I have passed on your comments to the relevant managers and they will be investigated further. Thank you for your feedback and I do hope that we get an opportunity to welcome you back to the Castle in the near future.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2017

Wife and I spent our last night at Clontarf before heading back to the States. Wished we had stayed here longer!

Clontarf is a wonderful place with the right blend of modern convenience in a old world setting! Highlights are the lobby area, the comfortable rooms, the food, service and ambience at the Fahrenheit restaurant. Another major bonus is the free parking...

We were well received by the receptionist who got us settled into our room on the main level. We freshened up after our long drive back from Galway and then headed over to the restaurant. Menu is excellent along with great choices of beers and wines

The service level was very high and the food and the drinks were polished off in due course. We really enjoyed the ambience of the restaurant. There is a musician in the back room who added to the entertainment value...

Our check out was early in the morning to make our US flight back and it was quickly enabled by the super efficient staff at the front desk

All in all a brilliant stay. We will definitely be back and this time make it our headquarters to take day trips to different locations.....

Room Tip: Get a room at the ground level....Makes it super convenient especially if you have lots of bags
  • Stayed January 2017, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
4 Thank Shri_Ranganathan
Dear Shri_Ranganathan,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to Clontarf Castle Hotel. We are delighted to hear that you had such a memorable experience and we thank you for your kind comments regarding your dining experience in Fahrenheit Restaurant. Every one of my colleagues’ endeavour to provide our guests with as comfortable a stay as possible and we are glad that you had such an enjoyable time.

We hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and thank you again for your review.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2017 via mobile

We stayed here in late 2016 there was a function we were attending in the hotel, myself and my partner and several of our friends decided we would also stay the night (a hefty €150-200 per night stay might I add). As the night started to end myself my partner and two of our friends went up to the rooms for a drink and a chat, the security of the hotel came to our room several times and insisted our friends go back to their own room as if we were bold 14 year old children,bare in mind we had spent a lot of money between us all to stay in this hotel and I would not in a million years leave this review if I thought we were being disruptive in any way in the hotel. In the end we went to our separate rooms like scolded children. I was absolutely shocked to have been treated this way by the hotel. What is even more rude about the hotels behaviour is that I wrote to them to state my dissatisfaction with the treatment on said night and I was told a voucher would be sent to my address straight away in apologies. That was nearly 4/5 months ago and when I emailed the other week about not receiving the voucher the manager again told me she would make sure it was sent to my address from head office. That was about 2 weeks ago and I have still received no voucher to apologise. Pretty unprofessional from a seemingly well respected hotel. A little bit of a positive the room we stayed in was lovely but our friends who paid the same price as us were shoved in a less then impressive room for the price. Not very impressed overall

Stayed October 2016, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rachelbyrne12
Dear Rachelbyrne12,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Clontarf Castle Hotel. I do believe our Deputy General Manager Sarah Flavin has been in contact with you Rachel and I hope that you are satisfied with our actions. Please do let us know if you require any further assistance.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2017

Stayed here for two nights. Hotel has a lovely setting only a few minutes walk away from the seafront in Clontarf and a local bus service is available from outside the door. The staff were very efficient on check in and my prerequisite for a quiet room had been noted. The room was quite small despite the deluxe title. The mineral water and nice toiletries were of good quality with a spacious shower. Ate here one night, unfortunately a very poor choice for vegetarians. Breakfast was tasty with a wide selection. Would stay here again, particularly for the east access to the city.

• Stayed January 2017, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
2 Thank SAS12345
Dear SAS12345

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent visit to Clontarf Castle Hotel. I am pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable time and that your received such good service from our professional and friendly team. I am disappointed that you felt there were insufficient vegetarian choices during your dining experience at the hotel however we do regularly cater for large groups of vegetarians and the feedback is always quite positive. I will pass on your comments to our Head Chef and this will be investigated further.

Thank you very much for your feedback and I do hope that we get an opportunity to welcome you back to the Castle in the near future.