“Great Concierge and comfortable beds”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Richland, Washington, United States
“Great Concierge and comfortable beds”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My family and I stayed at the Clontarf Castle Hotel for two nights in March 2012. We had the pleasure of being hosted by Eric, the Concierge. Eric was so wonderful. He helped us find tours, gave us directions, found us transportation, shared a few good tales, and was always on hand with a wonderful happy smile and good cheer. He really does the Irish people, and Clontarf Castle Hotel, a marvelous service and representation. I got up at 11 p.m. at night remembering I needed to send an e-mail and walked down the hall to find a computer. There was Eric, ready to help. We would go back to Clontarf to stay just to visit Eric! Thanks for making our last two days in Ireland so fabulous!

Room Tip: We had two rooms - one was a triple and one a double. The triple was handicap accessible, and was ve...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for the lovely review. I am so glad you had such a wonderful stay with us recently and it was great to hear how our dedicated Concierge Eric could assist you with everything. I hope you had a fantastic visit to Ireland and I would be delighted to welcome you back again some time soon.
Mark Long

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 April 2012

As a member of our sports and social committee I thought it would be nice to have an overnight stay with dinner for the staff in the Clontarf Castle hotel. I phoned the venue and dealt with a very helpful employee named Robert, who provided me with a very good deal. I booked seven double rooms and one triple room, which included a meal in the bar and breakfast the following morning. Robert kindly reserved an area in the bar for 7.30pm.

On arrival we were greeted at the check-in desk by a surly and abrupt girl. My room key card did not work nor did one of my colleagues who also checked in with me. A gentleman delivered new key cards to me but a colleague of mine had to return to the reception area where he received no apology whatsoever for this issue.

When it came to dinner we headed to the bar where the bar manager, who was aware of our 7.30pm reservation, told us that there was no area available for us. We were left with no option but to wait in the bar for thirty minutes until an area became available for us.
When we finally sat down for dinner, our table was of an inadequate size for our booking, with no space between placings. The food served was sub standard for a four star hotel.
For my main course I decided to have the prawn linguini in a cream and mushroom sauce. This consisted of overcooked spaghetti with prawns, floating in a copious amount of flavorless water. In order to avoid a scene I ate the meal, however, the standard of this was shocking. I spoke to my colleagues afterwards and the majority of them were just as unimpressed as I was.

The bar closed at approximately 1.30am so I moved to the reception area with the five remaining staff from my party. We decided to order a round of drinks and a few sandwiches before retiring to bed. We were told that the sandwiches could only be served to a room. Although I found this strange, we obliged and retired to a room.
When my colleague who had been nominated to place the sandwich order phoned reception there was no reply for ten minutes. When the phone was finally answered she was told in a highly abrupt tone that due to a noise complaint we were not allowed to order anything. This was simply an outrageous claim, given the fact that we were in our room a mere ten minutes and were chatting at a suitable level. At this point I decided to go down to reception with a colleague. We were confronted by an ignorant night manager who threatened to charge us for the rooms on the entire floor due to this noise complaint.
This was, to put it simply, an outlandish threat.

We were forced to go to another room to order these sandwiches. Whilst waiting for the sandwiches to arrive we noticed that the manager was patrolling the corridors outside our room listening for any noise. I might point out that we were whispering like mass-goers at this stage. This was just another example of the awful treatment that we encountered.

I would like to point out that we spent a lot of money on this night and to be treated in the manner listed above is quite frankly inexcusable.

To note on matters not included in the above, the room was very small, with twin beds so close that they touched. The room itself however was clean and modern. The bathroom was nice, however the shower had very bad water pressure. One towel was located in the bathroom having to search the room for another one. very odd..

Breakfast was luke warm with many items not replenished even though we arrived at 10.30am with breakfast service due to end at 11am.

Neither I nor anyone else in our party would stay here again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank twinkle170
Bruff, Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I stayed here recently for a conference. The castle itself is beautiful from the outside and there's some nice little snugs for coffee and chats. That's where the positivity ends. I was given a smoking room when I had asked for non-smoking. Plastic disposable glasses in the bathroom seemed very cheap for such a "high quality" hotel. €23 for a cooked breakfast including soggy hash browns and white pudding and cold eggs. First morning the "basket of pastries" for the in-room breakfast was a croissant and a mini apple danish. We tried the buffet the next day and it took 10 minutes to be seated and another 10 to get coffee. The "freshly squeezed juice" had likely been squeezed out of a carton that morning. At dinner that night we spent an hour waiting for our food. I felt sorry for the staff as they were clearly rushed off their feet and trying their best but this was not good enough. This hotel doesn't deserve its' star rating in my opinion.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Dee H
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the review. I was disappointed to hear about the food and the service in the restaurant – it is clearly not acceptable nor up to our usual high standards of service. We have since put into place a new breakfast programme which ensures our full Irish breakfast is always fresh. In relation to the sealed disposable glasses in our bathrooms; we have put these in as they are extremely hygienic. I do hope you will consider returning to stay with us again so we can show you the true Clontarf Castle experience.
Ireland
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Clontarf Castle Hotel is something special. The bedroom was comfortable and spacious and the bathroom modern and spotless. We ate in the hotel bar which was tasty and breakfast had a good choice. The staff were friendly and professional. The actual hotel building is beautiful.
There was just one small thing, there was a noisy plastic cover under the sheet and I woke up stuck to the sheet with sweat during the night! Its just a small thing but Im sure there must be an alternative cover.
Overall, a lovely hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for the lovely review. I am so glad you had such a great stay with us recently and it was nice to hear how impressed you were with everything from your room to the food and service of our staff members. I hope you had a terrific visit to Dublin and I would be delighted to welcome you back again some time.
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We had a fantastic 2 night stay at the castle. The rooms were great and the most comfortable beds we slept in! Eric and the rest of the staff were so helpful with everything we asked for. They helped us figure out the schedule into Dublin, getting us the tour bus for the next day and even confimied our flights for us! The food was fantastic and plentiful. We plan on visiting them again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the wonderful review. I’m so glad you had such a nice stay with us and that you were impressed with everything from your room, the food and the service of our staff members. I hope you had a truly memorable stay and I would be delighted to welcome you back again in the near future.