“Not impressed”
Review of The Westin Dublin

The Westin Dublin
Ranked #12 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed here this past week, for one night to attend a breakfast meeting the next morning. I had been traveling throughout Ireland, and had some other hotel experiences to compare my stay at the Westin to. I found this experience to be far short of any of my other hotel stays in Ireland - including at small b&bs. There were some plus points, but in general, you can do a WHOLE lot better in Dublin (Radisson Blu and Fitzwilliam to name but a few) than the Westin.

From the beginning, my experience was not pleasant. I checked in (having booked weeks in advance and having requested on booking and via email a Queen bed) and found I had been given two singles. When I stated that I had requested a Queen bed, was told that they were sold out - I could, of course, upgrade (for a very dear sum) to a Suite ... or they would give me a deluxe room - but it would still have two singles. I was not happy, and said so. I was then shuffled around and given what seemed like the smallest tiniest room in the hotel, with a tiny window overlooking some office blocks. The room smelled musty and unused - but it had a Queen bed! The ironing board was broken. Room service was OK but the food I ordered did not match the description in the menu. Bed was comfortable.

Upon check in, I had told the front desk that my business partner would bring my car to the hotel the next morning at around 730, in order to meet me for our business breakfast. When she arrived, they flat out refused to take the car, telling her that no one had informed them and they were full. This caused her great inconvenience. Once she finally made it into the hotel, they sent her to the wrong place for the meeting.

I also informed the front desk that I would check out 1 hour late (1pm instead of 12pm). I was told that I had to check out "not a minute later than 1pm" or else incur extra charges (thats fine, but the way in which I was told made me feel like a beggar). When I returned to my room at 1230, I had been locked out. I had to walk through the warren of the hotel to get to the front desk where many people were trying to check out, in order to try and get my card to work again. It took me more than 20 minutes to get into my room!

Upon checkout, I was not asked if I enjoyed my stay (as is the usual for any hotel). Instead, I told the checkout receptionist that I had been disappointed in my time at the Westin. She looked at me, shrugged and said, thats too bad. She never asked me what the issues were, and seemed uninterested in my negative experience. I never received a receipt for my stay until I specifically asked for it.

Plus points of the stay: Its central, though other hotels will give you that for a better price and better experience. Comfortable bed. They went out of their way to help me store some cold items. And finally, just as we were leaving, we met Pat (I think his name is) ... the tall doorman at the Westin. He was FABULOUS. Welcoming, open, funny, interested, kind and thoughtful. He personified what the Westin SHOULD be ... and is the ONLY reason its even getting 3 stars - otherwise, it would be 1 or 2.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank WorldFoodie71
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Dear WorldFoodie71,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to post your review following your stay at The Westin Dublin.

Unfortunately, I am extremely disappointed to hear you experienced many difficulties while you stayed with us. I am very surprised and unhappy that you were not treated in a better way.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the experience you had.

If you would like to discuss this further you can contact me directly.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Dublin

Reviewed 24 February 2012

this is my favourite place in Dublin, from staying ,to simply having coffee in th beautifully designed atrium. staff are courteous and obliging.value was excellent, free newspaper and biscuits with tea or coffee for 6 euro. Cant fault it on anything except no pool.

Room Tip: any that are not facing the street as it is the busiest street in the heart of Dublin...
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aodhan O
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I spent two weeks at the Westin Dublin on a business trip and was extremely impressed with pretty much every aspect of the stay. First off, the staff is simply incredible. They pay extra special attention to every detail. When asking for recommendations for places to eat, they were spot on with every ask. Umbrellas were provided without having to ask for them on a rainy day and the concierge even offered his coat to me as a cold spell whipped through one morning and I had forgotten a coat. Most importantly, the staff was sincere. They truly wanted you to have a memorable stay.

The location of the Westin is fantastic. Directly across the street is the start of the Temple Bar area. Quite touristy, but fun nightlife. A must visit if it is your first time to Dublin. Also important was the Starbucks two buildings down. Great way to start the day.

The rooms were nice. I was upgraded to one of the Westin workout rooms. I found the room to be bigger than expected for Europe. There is a separate shower and tub and nice attention to detail. The rooms themselves will not blow you away, but the beds are great. Wake up calls were very prompt and I slept well the entire trip.

The Mint Bar was great. Nice menu, live music on some nights and a good crowd. A little disappointed that it was dead on SuperBowl Sunday (also when there was an Ireland/Wales Rugby match), but everyone was at the local pubs. Again, staff was great. Service was a bit slow, but I think this is just kind of "the way" here.

All in all, a great trip. The Westin is reasonably priced and I would certainly stay again. Kudos to the staff. The best I've seen in awhile and I spend 120 nights/year in hotels.

Room Tip: If you can get a Westin workout room, it is nice. Dumbells, a cycle machine and workout materials.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Dear crazytravelers,

I am very happy to reading your positive review following your long stay at The Westin Dublin and thank you for taking the time to post it.

I am delighted to see your stay went smoothly as you were on business in Dublin.

We will look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Dublin soon.

Reviewed 22 February 2012

Having stayed at Westin hotels around the world, this one falls well short of the brand. My stay wasn't terrible, but more like a mid-tiered hotel.
PROS: Centrally located. Nice rooms.
CONS: 1) Lacks attention to detail, which is what makes a great hotel great; and 2) no club lounge

I try to avoid being petty on TA, but when you add up all of these things, it was disappointing, considering it's the Westin brand:
1. Waited 10 minutes to check in even though only one person in front of me (they had only one person running the reception desk at 10 am in the morning)
2. No Club Lounge or special amenities for Starwood Preferred guests (even Aloft and FourPoints do a better job of making me feel like a loyal SPG member)
3. No CNBC on TV (called their tech desk and was told as they migrate to new system, the channel is unavailable)
4. Dialed room service and the "Service Express" operator tried to take my order but she was clearly untrained in the process. After muddling through the order, she had to call me back 10 minutes after placing my order to tell me they didn't carry an item I ordered (and then the food took 45 minutes to get to my room)
5. No bottled water in the room, which is standard at every SPG property I've stayed at over the past year.

I would look past any 1 or 2 of the items above, but all of them added up gives this Westin only a 3-rating from me. If this was a Holiday Inn Express or Marriott Courtyard, I'd look past these shortcomings, but it's a city-center Westin.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear jelarv,

I would like to say thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor following your stay at The Westin Dublin.

We value all feedback from our guests, both positive and negative.

I regret to hear that you were disappointed with your stay and the issues you have mentioned we have addressed.

Please do contact me directly if you wish to discuss this with me directly.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I spent three nights here on a long weekend trip with some friends. You can't go wrong with the location - it is across the street from the Grafton Street and the Temple Bar area with its bountiful selection of pubs and restaurants. It is close to the DART station (about a 10 minute walk) which you go to take the train out to the coastal suburbs. If you're here for a short time, this is perfect because it gives you access to just about everything you need to take in the sights. The staff and service at the Westin were also wonderful. Have tea in the atrium, it's quite delightful. You can get on the Airlink bus to/from the airport across the street or you can take a cab which is about 20 euro and just a short ride from the airport.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends