“It was my fault they messed our booking.......... !”

O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel
Ranked #58 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We booked for three nights at the 3-star O’Callaghan Mont Clare in Merrion Street, Dublin. Arriving by Aircoach from Dublin Airport to the very convenient stop on Merrion Square North just two minutes from the hotel entrance, we were faced by blank stares from the reception staff. “We have no booking for you on our system – and our hotel is full”. Fortunately, I had brought with me a print-out of the booking from lastminute.com, plus a pre-payment receipt. Without these handy pieces of paper, we would have been turned away onto the street. The staff looked hard to try to find some mistake in what we had. So, BEWARE – the O’Callaghan booking system is faulty. Eventually, after a long wait, no apology and much mumbling from the staff, our patience – possibly they thought we were stubborn but we were very controlled - was rewarded and we were directed across the road to the O’Callaghan Davenport. This was not the perfect start to our Dublin stay. First impressions colour one’s judgement – and this first impression was very poor.
The Davenport claims four stars. Reception staff were efficient but there was no assistance with luggage and no welcoming smiles. The décor of the Davenport is dominated by dark wood panelling, cold marble and heavy furniture. This certainly matched our feelings of being unloved and unappreciated. After that, things got better. Our room looking over adjacent roofs was quiet, reasonably comfortable with large double bed (two singles put together), desk, small table and one easy chair. The bathroom was reasonably well appointed. The water pressure was huge and showers in the bath were invigorating. The fitted hair dryer was not functioning but we found a portable one on a high shelf. Again, it is debateable whether four stars are justified as the bathroom amenities such as shower gel and shampoo were either missing or poor. There was a cheap plastic mini-kettle for tea and coffee and a small saucer of a few tea bags and coffee sachets. It all seemed rather sparing and reluctant. The same feeling predominated at breakfast, charged separately at Euro11.95, with mini bowls of fruit and yoghurt on the buffet, and the need to chase a waiter to order anything that was not in the rather dried-out offerings of scrambled egg and bacon. Our ordered poached eggs turned into a boiled egg. The waitress disclaimed all responsibility and it was only a waiter much later who sorted the mistake. No apologies again – just a grudging hunch of the shoulders.
On the plus side, the O’Callaghan Davenport is superbly located, as others have noted on TripAdvisor. One tip: if you are there for a Saturday, you can get free tickets at 10.30 a.m.at the National Gallery across the road from the hotel for a guided tour around the Taoiseach’s (Prime Minister’s) Office. Tours are only on Saturdays and are very instructive – we could get right into Enda Kenny’s (the current Taoiseach) office and cabinet rooms, see all his personal artefacts including presents from other heads of state, and even the photos of his children on the window sill. You couldn’t do that in Downing Street or Pennsylvania Avenue.
To conclude, the O’Callaghan Davenport is reasonably comfortable but nothing special – and you might have similar frustrations to ours. If we had paid the full rate, we would have been extremely disgruntled; but we didn’t and we were modestly happy with our stay. We would have been rather more happy if someone – a smiling manager, perhaps – had apologised for making a total mess of our booking.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Sox299
davenportgm, Manager at O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Dear sox299

Thank you for taking the time to review the O’Callaghan Davenport / Mont Clare hotels. I am not responsible for the Mont Clare hotel but would none the less like to apologies for the reception you described receiving there this certainly would not be the standard the group strive to achieve. As you mentioned in your review this did somewhat tarnish your opinion of the stay with us here in the O’Callaghan Davenport hotel. I have discuss your comments on our breakfast team at the latest management meeting and as always we strive for constant improvement here and have already tweaked our breakfast selection and engaged in a customer service drive for all food and beverage staff. I do hope you would choose to return to us again soon.

Best regards
Martin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,721)

Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed here for St Paddy's day with our friends. We have originally booked the Monte Clare but we were informed a few weeks before the trip the we had been moved to The Davenport. As it was just across the road this was no big deal.

The room was clean and tidy and the staff were all very friendly, they even supplied crockery, cutlery and napkins when we got a takeaway in.

The hotel is ideally located within walking distance of all Dublin's sights. There were a couple of good pub's nearby for a beer. Kennedy's and The Ginger Man, both very friendly and reasonably priced for Dublin.

There is a taxi service just outside the hotel and prices were reasonable.

Therewas a pay for wireless access. I was lucky enought to find a free access point from room 327!

The trip was for relaxing with friends and meeting up with family. We had a great time.

1  Thank karen_n_terry
Cooley05, Manager at O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Davenport Hotel again in the future

Reviewed 4 April 2012

Nice Hotel. Stayed as part of CIE Tour. Rooms were quite nice quite spacious, view from Room OK. Great Pub across the street called The Ginger Man. Breakfast was good and staff quite competent.Our whole group seemed quite pleased.

2  Thank regerton

Reviewed 28 March 2012

I stayed in The Davenport Hotel for four nights recently and got off on the wrong foot. I parked outside the hotel and asked about parking facilities. I was directed around the block to a gated complex and I was given a code to gain access. I assumed I had arrived at the rear of the hotel. Having parked the car I had difficulty trying to find the lift/stairs to the hotel before realising that it was a separate entity. I went out onto the street and walked about 200 metres to the hotel with my suitcase and suit. I had to walk back again to get another bag and came upon a gang of about ten boisterous youths. Once I collected my bag I had to pass them again. It was dark at the time and there didn’t appear to be anybody else around and it was a little intimidating. I imagine that it would be worse for a lone female in the same situation. It cost me €40 for the privilege and when I went to check out of the hotel I discovered that I couldn’t include it on my room bill and had to pay at the car park. Because I didn’t validate the ticket at reception before I left, the machine in the car park was charging me €182, so I had to trundle back to the hotel again. I found this business to be frustrating and time consuming to say the least. There is no mention of parking on the website and I would caution visitors to be aware of this arrangement before booking the hotel. Apart from that, the room was very comfortable, quiet and clean and the food was good. The location is excellent, just a few miniutes walk from Stephens Green.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank TrevorCork

Reviewed 27 March 2012

Nice hotel, great location. Decent size room with huge bed. Breakfast very comprehensive. Staff on the ball. My only disappointment was the lack of free wi-fi, only the house computer available @ 2.99 hour. Yet wi-fi was free in cafe across the road.

Hotel particularly handy for National Gallery (two minutes). Would definitely stay he again. Certainly would stay if free wi-fi was available!

Room Tip: We had 530 and 630. Brilliant rooms