All reviewscommon roomtemple barbed dormgreat locationmixed dormown bathroomchrist church cathedralper dayairport busstayed nightscity centrehostelbedscerealbunkroommateschristchurch
Reviewed 19 November 2015

The location is good, the bed me and my partner found good too, we slept in a 6 bed-dorm. It was quite quiet considering that we had our windows facing the street I had a very nice rest. The showers, in my opinion are HORRIBLE, one of the worst I have experienced, the hot water was finished before I could take the soap off. The kitchen is not nice in my opinion too and breakfast very basic, the jam is horrible, for young moneyless backpackers I believe it is more than ok.
It is not a party hostel!
Like I said good place for the price and our bedroom was cleaned on a daily basis.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2015

We stayed two days in a six-bed-room (female):
Located in the city centre Kinlay hostel is the perfect place to stay at, if you plan on visiting Dublin.
Entering the hostel you immediately are welcomed by the friendly hostel-staff. Don't hesitate asking them any questions about the city - they are very helpful!!
The rooms are clean and the beds comfortable.
The stay also includes breakfast - awesome!!
FAIR price - good service!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 November 2015

I spent 4 night with the team at kinley house. It was clean and comfortable. The staff helped with any questions needed. And it was walking distance to everything five minutes to the heart of pubs and shopping. And all tourist attractions nearby. Loved it

Reviewed 16 November 2015

Good location, 5 minute walk to Temple Bar area. City hall & Dublin Castle are down the road where most walking tours start. Good common area & kitchen. Good wifi in the rooms. Bathrooms are clean although some showers the hot water wasn't working. Rooms are good but need a few more power sockets. Friendly staff

Reviewed 12 November 2015

This may be a bit of a lengthy review to cover it all, but overall, I couldn't be more pleased with my stay at the Kinlay House!

We stayed Nov 5-11 2015. A friend from England met me in Dublin for the first three days and then I spent the remainder on my own. We stayed in a private room (room 200A) together and then I booked a 6-bed shared dorm (room 201). Neither of which had ensuite bathrooms. This was our first time staying at a hostel. We both came into it with worries about security and cleanliness, but after our stay we would both absolutely do it again! Such an amazing way to save money and see a city in a different way.

This property has a ton of pros and not too many cons.

Kinlay house is quite large. On the ground floor there is the 24-hour reception, a common room, a kitchen (both of which are closed overnight), a cluster of safes (2 euro rental per day) and the hallway to the building which houses the lockers (also available for rent at 2 euro per day). There are then three more floors with rooms and bathrooms/showers.

The first floor has rooms along with one communal shower/bathroom for women, and one communal bathroom/shower room for men. The second floor has one bathroom/shower room for both men and women. Awkward, but it's better than nothing for when you have to pee in the middle of the night. The third floor has separate bathroom/shower rooms for men and women. There are no elevators, so if stairs are difficult for you, this is something to keep in mind.

Location
Kinlay house is located right next to the popular attraction Christchurch Cathedral. Everyone knows it and it's super handy when you're asking for directions to the hostel to just ask how to get to Christchurch Cathedral and anyone can help you! It's also just one street south of the river so it's pretty hard to get lost. It's also closest to Dublinia and Dublin Castle.
The area is amazing because it's very central and there are always people walking the streets any day of the week, any time of night. I always felt very safe walking on my own as a single woman.
There are plenty of bus stops right outside the hostel door (including the 24-hour direct airport express bus "Airlink 747" for 10 euro roundtrip). The hop on/hop off tour busses also have stops directly across the street. Super convenient.
A pub behind the hostel called Darkey Kelly's has a beer garden that has a direct entrance from the back path of the hostel. It is such a cool spot to hang out if it isn't raining. There's also an amazing café with great breakfast and pastries and a patio called Queen of Tarts in the alley just beside the hostel. A huge delicious scone with jam, a coffee or tea and fresh orange juice for 5 euro. Can't go wrong! There's also a great café across the street with smoothies, milkshakes, coffee, tea, hot sandwiches and pastries which are also amaaaazing. Lots of small spots to choose from in the area. There's also a Spar a few minutes down the street with plenty of fresh food and grocery options which is open pretty late (if not 24 hours).
But more importantly...Temple Bar!!! Kinlay house is the perfect location for this reason. a two minute walk and it's pub after pub after pub after restaurant after pub after café. There is action every day of the week pretty much from early morning until 3 or 4 am. Weekends are madness. Dublin is such a huge party and luckily Kinlay house is just far enough that you don't hear the chaos of the night. This place is incredible. A week was not enough to see all that Dublin had to offer!

Transport
There are a bunch of different options for airport transfers but the Airlink 747 is for sure the best choice when staying at Kinlay house. It's 24 hours and operates out of both terminal 1 and 2. The bus stop to the airport is right outside the door of Kinlay House and the stop from the airport is right across the street. We arrived at night and it was a little bit hard to see the sign for the hostel, so just walk towards the cathedral and then cross the street. Right outside the door are stops for probably more than 10 bus routes. Again, the hop on/hop off busses also stop right outside the hostel. On the City Sightseeing tour, it's stop number 10...NOT 13 which is Christchurch Cathedral.

Bedrooms
The first room we had was a two-bed private room with no ensuite bathroom. We were worried about this big time. It wasn't as awful as I imagined. Our room was about the size of a large closet. One set of bunk beds, a mirror on the wall and three hooks on the wall. Whatever, it did the job! I read online that the pillows were thin and the mattresses are uncomfortable but I didn't find that at all. If you want to feel an uncomfortable bed, go to a "five star" resort in Cuba. These were quite comfortable for bunk beds. A private room meant we didn't need lockers, which was really nice.
The second room I stayed in when my friend left was a 6-bed shared room with no ensuite. By this point I was a pro at using the communal bathroom/shower rooms. It was quite a large room with three sets of bunk beds, one small side table and a dresser to hang your coats. There were 6 electrical outlets in total. The only thing was that our room was facing the street and the windows and walls are both quite thin. Light sleepers may have an issue (I didn't). When I got there there were four young Australian guys already in the room. I got lucky that they were really, really easygoing so I could totally forgive them for the smell and mess that they had dragged in with them. haha The second day another guy joined us who had just moved to Dublin and got a job at a restaurant next door. The last two days everyone had checked out and I had the room to myself. #luxury

Every day around 10 am or so cleaning staff come in to vacuum, change the garbage (if necessary), and change the bed linens of anyone that has checked out (if applicable). Basically, be up by 10ish or you'll get a wake up call.

Communal bathrooms/shower rooms
Each floor has communal bathroom/shower rooms. There are about four stalls of showers and four stalls of bathrooms. During peak hours they can get a bit busy but I never had an issue as I usually take my showers in the late afternoon to get ready for the evening ahead.
The showers are on a timer of about 20-30 seconds. You have to press the button to get the water to run.
The lights in the bathroom are also on a timer, which will scare the crap out of you if you're showering after dark!!! BE WARNED. After about 15 minutes the lights will shut off in the bathroom if the door hasn't been opened. For this reason you should open the bathroom door right before jumping into the shower. Your shower may not take 15 minutes, but your pre-shower routine may. Keep that in mind!!
I found the water temperature to be quite cold in the bathroom taps and showers in the second and third floors. Tip: the first floor showers and taps are always nice a warm.

Common room
A nice big room with lots of electrical outlets. Great place to hang and meet people or to just do your thing (ie get ready) when the people in your dorm are still sleeping.

Kitchen
There is breakfast every morning and then the kitchen is available for your own food preparation throughout the day. The free breakfast seemed pretty adequate, but I never tried it because of all the great cafes around. Seemed like they had toast with jam and cereals. Coffee and tea. The coffee is quite good! There are also fridges to store your own food. Just ask the front desk for a label so no one eats your stuff (or drinks your alcohol). The kitchen also has garbage and recycling bins! Was so happy to see that they recycle. Nerd moment.

Rentals
Hair dryer (available for free, just leave a piece of ID)
Extension bar/surge protector
Heaters
Large cage lockers (available for 2 euro per day, fits a lot of stuff!)
Safes (located in the reception area for small belongings like laptops and wallets, available for 2 euro per day)
Towels (available for 2 euro per towel)
A few toiletries are available for purchase at reception.
Universal converter/adapters are available at reception for 4 euro, but you can find them elsewhere for 2 euro.

Wifi
Free wifi, all over the property. Very strong signal, even in the rooms. You can even get it a little bit down the street if you're still connected to the network.

Staff
I have a neutral opinion on the staff. They all seemed relatively friendly. I didn't really need their assistance too often apart from signing out the hairdryer each night. That's pretty much the extent of our interaction.

Security
As I mentioned, I felt pretty safe in the city on my own. When it comes to the security of the hostel, you are issued a room key which is also used to enter the front door, and then you are also issued a security slip (like a receipt) which you are required to show reception any time you enter. Great feature.

Cleanliness
It's a relatively clean hostel! It's quite an older property with outdated, mismatched furniture (as many hostels are), but staff clean quite often and the bathrooms are restocked and checked on often. Still, I wouldn't take a shower without a pair of flip flops on.

Lockers
One last thing to note is that the lockers are in a separate building. I was surprised by that and it's a bit inconvenient to have to run out there all the time. Next time I would just get a safe for my valuables and keep the rest in my room under my bed. However what I did was keep everything in the locker and my toiletries, towel, pjs and next days clothes all in a large shopping tote kept beside my bunk. It's annoying to run downstairs and outside anything you need anything, but it's an option.

Basically, this hostel rocked. I couldn't have asked for anything more. BEST location, great bed, great roomies, amazing price, clean and comfortable. To be honest, if I were to go back to Dublin, I would probably stay here again. The only other hostel I would consider trying is Oliver St. John's Gogarty...and that's only because it's directly above one of the best pubs in Temple Bar. Not sure I could handle the noise nightly though. Amazing trip, highly recommended

Room Tip: The smaller the number of beds, the less number of people to disturb you. Ensuite bathrooms are totally not necessary.