“Bed bugs but great location”
Review of The Townhouse

The Townhouse
Ranked #99 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I stayed at The Townhouse last month for 4 nights. A friend recommended the place since she stayed there before.

The place is walking distance to shops, restaurants, Connolly rail station, and around the corner from an ATM machine. I walked around at night and felt safe. I took the Airlink bus to The Townhouse but took a taxi back to the airport since I had an early flight. The staff arranged for a taxi to pick me up in the morning. The staff was friendly and helpful when I asked about places to visit. There was free WIFI and a few computers. There was complimentary Irish breakfast in the morning so that was much appreciated.

The Townhouse is in a great location with friendly staff; however, I experienced bedbugs my first night. It was an unfortunate experience, and my friend felt really bad when I told her what happened. I had a room with two single beds on the 3rd floor. I went to sleep my first night and woke up an hour later feeling really itchy on my legs and arms. I turned on the lights, pulled off the covers, and saw two bedbugs! My immediate reaction was to squash them. I jumped out of bed and looked all over the bed and saw another one underneath my pillow. I brought the dead bugs in a tissue downstairs to the front desk and told the man what happened. He was surprised and said he had never heard of it happening before. He said the room will be closed off and an exterminator would be called in. I was moved to another room on the 2nd floor. I went back to get my things and looked at the second bed out of curiosity. There were bed bugs on that bed too! I was really shocked. Both beds! My second room didn’t have bedbugs. I pulled off the covers on the beds to make sure there weren’t any unwanted guests. I enjoyed my time in Dublin, although I was really itchy for the rest of my stay. I still have scabs on my legs and arms from the bedbug incident.

I cannot recommend this place to anyone based on my experience.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank cooknsew105

Reviewed 17 October 2011

The staff were incredibly friendly. Free wifi in lobby and in our room (we were close to lobby). The breakfast was very good. Love the location because it was just outside Temple Bar and right in the real dublin!

Room Tip: try to get near lobby to get free wireless in room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank ShawnM2
Reviewed 4 October 2011

The Townhouse is a bit shabby. It shares the facility with the Globetrotters' Hostel. They share the computer room and breakfast room until 10:30 pm.

The rooms are basic, nothing charming about them.. Unfortunately, we could not get Wifi in our room so had to use the computer room. Overheard lots of conversation from the hostelers.

The location and breakfast were both adequate. It is located amid several hostels, but it's easy enough to get around. Breakfast is a buffet.

This is not a place I would stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank streisand5
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Our second night at the conveniently located Townhouse was a delight, our room set well back in the "courtyard" area of the facility, with modern conveniences and spacious bath. This was a far cry from our first night which was spend at the front of the hotel in a dark, cramped room 112, a miniscule bath and tiny shower enclosure and an ugly broken segment of shower base the first thing visible from the bedroom. The bathroom door barely cleared the bed.

After offering constructive remarks we were eventually moved by concierge Davis, a very friendly counter to our unfriendly welcome the day before.

Room Tip: Be sure to demand a room at the back with garden view.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bugsy_10
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We came as a party of mature nurses on my hen weekend. There were 7 of us on the first night and 8 on the second which made the booking very complicated but the staff were wonderfully helpful and sorted it out at a very reasonable price. The rooms were clean and the beds were extremely comfortable. Breakfast was delicious and plenty of it. The staff were full of fun and joined in my celebrations. I would like to thank them all very much and warn them that we WILL return!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family