“The dreaded ‘breakfast coffee’! ”
Review of Brooks Hotel

Brooks Hotel
Ranked #11 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

2nd Review I have given to this hotel.
4 star hotel in excellent city centre location. Expensive and not what I would consider to be value for money. The staff are friendly and efficient. The parking directly across the street from the hotel is ideal. I requested a higher floor room and they was given to us, on the 6th floor. The room was in the ‘deluxe’ category and we included breakfast in our rate. We were there for 4 nights.
The room was small with very little wardrobe space. The bathroom needs updating I think as it is tired looking and with a small narrow bath in the corner with shower over bath, it seems to me to be a waste of precious space. Having said that, everything, except the sink stopper, worked. The bed was very comfortable.
My personal complaint and a source of annoyance to me is the increasing number of hotels, this one included, where there is no socket near the bed, I need a socket because I use a cpap machine every night so in Brooks it necessitated the requesting of an extension lead which was duly supplied. Why are hotels not installing sockets near the bed? It shows a level of contempt for the client who is already paying enough to stay. The most disconcerting thing however about the room was the ‘dummy/mannequin’ in the corner of the room(see pic) it’s purpose baffled us!
Breakfast was ok, nothing special but at least the fresh fruit was actually fresh, the bread selection was limited and the hot breakfast options were boring. Coffee - we decided to order Americano after tasting the ‘breakfast coffee’ What is it with hotels at breakfast that they cannot get this basic right! We were paying enough to get a decent coffee at breakfast. We sat under a large abstract painting one morning and the frame was filthy and the spatters of grease on the wall were not cleaned - not acceptable. Also we noticed 2 blown light bulbs in the dining room, now not replacing them is either sloppiness or laziness or both. The negatives I have highlighted are not of themselves hugely important but together they are an irritation. With a little extra effort in the detail this could be a great hotel.
I like Brooks, it had very nice people working there and I will most likely stay again.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank GeGa
Write a ReviewReviews (2,418)

Reviewed 5 December 2017

I found brooks hotel online and it very reviews so I booked a room for my holiday in Dublin this week. When I arrived I knew I was in the perfect place! I arrived around 6pm after flying from Phoenix to London and connecting to Dublin. The staff treated me extremely well and made me feel special. Fiona Lynch handled my checkin and she was brilliant, professional and friendly. In the morning I met Connor, the concierge, and he was friendly and extremely helpful. My deluxe double room a good size and the bathroom was large too. The hot water was wonderful and worked my entire visit.

This hotel is hotel is in a great neighborhood. Everything is in enjoyable walking distance. Wonderful restaurants within 1 to 2 streets.

Brooks Hotel more than met my expectations. This my first visit to Ireland and when I return, I will definitely book this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 November 2017

Brooks hotel is perfectly located to shopping on Grafton street, Temple Bar, dozens of restaurants as well as neighborhood pubs. From the moment we arrived, we had excellent treatment. We arrived early from our flight..around 8:30am and were greeted by Marvin who had some suggestions of places to grab a bite to eat until our room was available. The staff checking us in stated that at least one of our three rooms was avail, so they took all of our luggage to that room and said they would make every effort to have our other two rooms ready by the time we returned and they did, which was nice since we had been up for 24 hours traveling.
Our rooms were spacious and clean. The staff was friendly and attentive to everything we requested on our five day stay. Conner, our concierge for the weekend was also extremely helpful and recommended some things to do.
We frequented the bar for happy hour and we did eat dinner one night in the bar area after returning late from Belfast for the day. Our meals were very good. The bar area was very busy almost every night we were there. I felt bad for the bartender since he seemed to be the only bartender there each time. Because of this, the service was a bit slow, but seeing as he was only person there, we didn't get too irritated. However, a suggestion to the manager that an additional bartender on the weekends may be helpful.
If I had to say anything negative about our experience, it would be about the breakfast. A tad overpriced for the food selections. We are not huge breakfast people, but our only options were to pay 19.95 for the buffet which was basically, cereal, meats and cheeses, yogurt and pastries or 9.95 for pastries and coffee/juice. It would be nice to have an al a carte option for people who aren't big eaters. I did get eggs one morning off the regular menu and they were very spongy and couldn't eat them. They were also 19.95. But my kids had the crepes several mornings and said they were delicious.
Again, the hotel is perfectly located and two places to mention that are steps from the hotel are Fade Street Social, which I would recommend for dinner and The Hairy Lemon which is a pub at the end of the street. We didn't eat at The Hairy Lemon, but they do serve food and it was always packed. It's a fun place to have drinks and on Sunday nights they have live Traditional Irish music.

Room Tip: Parking garage is located across from hotel if you have a car
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank cstarzy
Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

We stayed here recently while meeting friends in Dublin. This hotel is so central to everywhere. Perfect location for city centre. The reception was bright and welcoming. Our receptionist was knowledgeable and very helpful. We had a triple room which was spotlessly clean, bright and fresh. Beds are comfortable and clean. Reception staff were so helpful. Taxis were booked and arrived within minutes. When we went for breakfast we obviously went at a very busy time as we had a wait to be seated. There is a cold food buffet and hot food tea, coffee and toast is ordered from the waiting staff. We ordered tea and coffee and had another long wait until our hot food order was taken. There was another long delay until our food was brought out. Coffee but no tea or toast. There seemed to be a delay on everything at breakfast. There seemed to be plenty of staff but service was dreadfully slow and out of sequence. The buffet had cereals, lovely fruit options with yoghurt and granola. There was tasty breads and pastries on offer. Our breakfast was tasty and hot. I just couldn't see why service was so slow despite the level of staff on duty. All in all this hotel is perfectly located. Brilliant for a shopping trip, 5 minute walk to Grafton St. I would definitely return here.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Noreen J
Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

I have just returned from a weekend. Brooks is a fab hotel with many many positives but I was let down badly today. It's is spotlesly clean, lovely staff, lovely breakfast but no.hot water. I mentioned it Saturday morning at reception and was told it would be rectified after a luke warm shower. On Sunday Morning, it was ice cold. Myself and my sister literally washed as quick.as we could and tried to warm up with the hair dryer. I went to reception before breakfast to explain that I would like someone to go and experience the water as I didn't want them to think i was making it up. I returned for check out , paid and questioned the water to which I was told " sorry about that, if you come and stay again, we will make sure it doesn't happen next time "!!!! Over 400 euro.for 2 nights and both mornings cold water . I had already given them the opportunity to sort it Saturday!!! I told the girl that I would have expected a manager to have met me or spoke to me before I left. I was told they were very busy!!! Sorry, a very very poor response for a 4 star hotel. She assured me someone would make contact. Today as the day to do that , before I left your hotel. I had booked to stay again in February but I shall def reconsider. I left feeling totally insignificant after spending a considerable amount of money. I also noted where the receptionist wrote my room number down, 308 that there were a few other room numbers with no hot water written beside it and ice cold written beside mind. I have checked reviews and it's seems an on going problem. It's very unfair to.do this to any guest and then to hide behind a simple " sorry ". Not good enough Brooks!!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends