3,804 results
All reviewscellar restaurantgarden wingart collectionthe main houseart teapatrick guilbaudhighly recommend the merriongovernment buildingsdrawing roompublic roomsbeautiful hotelnational galleryturn down servicefive star hotelsteam roomgrafton streettrinity college
Reviewed 13 January 2013

My wife and I spent one night recently at this hotel and enjoyed our stay very much. Location is excellent; right in the heart of Dublin; close to Trinity College and Grafton Street. The hotel is very comfortable with its tastefully furnished sitting rooms and restaurants. The room we had was very comfortable; much appreciated since it was our first night in Ireland and we needed a good sleep. The main dining room served excellent food for both dinner and breakfast and the staff were good. The only negative comment I have is for the staff at the reception desk were quite snooty and somewhat arrogant. Overall, I would recommend highly to stay here for both its location and very high quality standards.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick R
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the review posted recently and thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to post it; we all greatly appreciate it

I was delighted to read your kind comments about most aspects of your stay with us but was somewhat surprised to read your comments about my colleagues at the reception desk. Of course I would be most grateful if you would contact me personally with further details so I can follow up on this if necessary.

Thank you again for your kind words.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 11 January 2013

We spent six nights at The Merrion the week before Christmas. This was our first trip to Dublin and it certainly won't be our last. I can think of no reason whatsoever to think of staying anywhere else.

The Merron is old fashioned elegance and service at it's best. The hotel was spotless, beautifully decorated for the festive season, the room (standard) was large and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. During our stay we ate in the cellar bar and the cellar restaurant. We also used room service and were very happy with all three.

The hotel is very conveniently located for all the central Dublin sights, with a stop for the hop-on, hop-off bus just a few yards from the front door and an unofficial taxi rank. The nearest Dart Station is less than 10 minutes walk away which means if the weather is good and you fancy a change of scene you can be at the seaside within half an hour. It is also within walking distance of the Aviva Stadium.

We're already planniing our return stay!

Room Tip: Most Standard rooms face the road but there are three overlooking the garden, ask for one of these.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan E

Dear Guest,

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I am delighted to read that you plan on returning to stay with us in the near future. I only hope that stay is as memorable as your last and may I also take this opportunity to wish you a belated Happy Birthday.

Reviewed 10 January 2013

Booked this amazing hotel through whatahotel.com (which is also the best)....

we had a wonderful stay at the merrion which was especially beautiful in its xmas finery and detailing.

whatahotel.com secured a nice upgrade as well as a slew of other thoughtful ameneties (chocolates, chocolate puzzle (!) vase, etc...) for xmas and my daughter's birthday.

everything was spot on - from the tetra spa to the cellar bar (which was especially sharp, and i thought improved) to the excellent room service and (friendly) front desk staff.

there were many a (cold!) morning that i looked at the brass "leading hotels of the world" plaque at your doorstep and thought that it would be tough to find any hotel with more right to that moniker...

i can't wait to visit again - VERY soon,

Room Tip: Talk to the friendly folks at whatahotel.com
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank GimletEye

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us both publicly and privately.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team here at The Merrion. I must say we get a great “buzz” when we read comments like yours; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. Christmas is such a special time so it is particularly gratifying for my colleagues and I to read how much you enjoyed your stay.

I am delighted to read that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and do let us know if we can be of any assistance in the meantime.

Reviewed 9 January 2013

The common areas of the hotel are lovely. The art amazing. Gardens are beautiful. The rooms are dated. There is no light when you come in, only lamps. Turning them on is a chore and housekeeping turns them off. So at 5:00 in January you come into a dark room and have to find the lamps, the switches on the plugs, and then the lamp switches. The room has a 1980s stereo with a CD/cassette player, no way to play an MP3 player. The television is small and the remote doesn't work. There were also housekeeping issues- they did not remove dirty glasses and the turn down service did not arrive until after 21:30- unacceptable. The worst issue was the room location. Room was on the ground floor by a large gate. Curtains had to remain closed as I was looking directly into an Itsu, or something similar, and foot traffic was only a few feet away. The dark room was only made worse by this. The gate closing and opening was loud. The worst part was that the room had a horrible patchouli smell, I assume from a treatment room directly next door. I would not stay here again.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Stacie S

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay which I was of course very disappointed to read.

Clearly you did not enjoy your stay and encountered some shortcomings which I sincerely hope I can discuss with you personally. I would be most grateful if you would either contact me by phone here at the Hotel or by email on generalmanager@merrionhotel.com .

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 9 January 2013

Stayed here a while ago for my 40th birthday celebration and have to say it simply is a cut above. What i liked about it most is the fact that this hotel has all the class of a top hotel but without the pretentiousness. I found the staff to be very pleasant and more than helpful, the rooms were nice and in general I felt the whole experience was very relaxing and well worth the visit. Congrats to all.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at The Merrion.

I have shared your wonderful comments with all the team here who join me in saying a “big thank you” also. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Merrion so much, particularly as it was such a special occasion for you.

I hope we have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again at some point in the future, perhaps on your next birthday!