“Fantastic, lived up to expectations and more!”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 20 October 2012

So normally, when something is reviewed well, I tend to be disapointed after all the anitcipation. This was not the case with the Merrion.

After staying at other 5 star hotels while travelling in Ireland, this was by far, the best one.

The best: the staff were amazing and not stuffy as others had been at other hotels. They were very friendly and helpful. Not once did I feel out of the place. The room was fantastic. The slippers were so comfortable and the turn down service was really nice. The bed and pillows are fabulous. The attention to detail was evident. We ordered room service breakfast two mornings in a row and it was out of this world. So much food and good and hot. The coffee was the best I had in our travels. The bathroom had a seperate bath and shower, and had towel warmers. I did not spend much time in the commom areas but they seemed clean and nice. The consierge was spot on and recommended a wonderful restaurant not far away.

The good: The cellar bar had good pints. The food was just ok and the menu fairly limiting. The sheets were good but I have slept in better ones.

The Merrion is just miles ahead of other 5 star hotels, not just in Ireland but in North America as well. Probably my favourite I have ever stayed in. If i win the lottery, I would be here on a regular basis.

3  Thank shynk
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2012

Dear shynk,

Many thanks for the wonderful and comprehensive review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about all aspects of your stay here at The Merrion. It is very satisfying for all the team here when we read comments like yours; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did.

Peter Mac Cann

Write a ReviewReviews (3,485)

Reviewed 15 October 2012 via mobile

I have stayed in many hotels in Dublin and this one is by far the best!!!
The hotel is located very central and just few steps from the famous and animated Graffton street. Furthermore the hotel is just 2 mins walk from the Stephen's Green Park.

My room was very big, with a balcony and the view in the gardens.

We had a brunch and one dinner at the hotel and it was delicious.

The service at the hotel is beyond good.

The communal areas are extremely cosy and the hotel is full of pieces of art.

If you want to have a chic and memorable stay in Dublin please stay at the Merrion!!

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank Malvina31

Dear Malvina31,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

The Merrion is still the best hotel in Dublin in my view and it was very busy on Saturday so its proving very popular in difficult times in Ireland. We were upgraded to the main house which is where I would recommend staying if you have the option. The rooms are bigger with nice high ceilings. The room is great but my only problem was I couldn’t find any toothpaste in the room. The breakfast was really good but I have had better in five star hotels. The service is great and all the staff are very friendly and helpful. The Merrion will always be my first choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main house, its a bit of a walk to the spa but much better rooms
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank tieler
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2012

Dear tieler,

Many thanks for the absolutely wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team here at The Merrion. I must say we get a great “buzz” when we read comments like yours; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. We are honoured that The Merrion continues to be your hotel of choice when you visit Dublin and I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 14 October 2012

They fall over themselves to take care of you.
Great location but be careful about walking distances. Truly excellent and engaged staff. Nice pampering touches worth of the pricey rate. A tad stuffy in the common areas. Terrific bathroom and room comforts. Breakfast pricey but plenty of local pubs.

3  Thank CWoodford

Dear CWoodford,

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team here at The Merrion. I must say it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did and thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to post it; we all greatly appreciate it.

Reviewed 14 October 2012

Myself and my fiancée were given a gift of a Blue Book voucher recently which we decided to redeem at the Merrion Hotel Saturday 13 Oct 2012.
We arrived to a pleasant reception, and were guided to our room (134) by a member of staff.
We had booked a standard queen room and were quite surprised to find a cot, amongst other baby paraphernalia (most unromantic) taking up a large section of our rather small room.
We requested that the cot be removed and after about 10 minutes a porter arrived to take the cot away, but not before first asking (repeatedly) are we sure we didn't order a cot. After a prolonged discussion about our lack of cot requirements he finally accepted that we had not ordered it and dragged the cot rather unceremoniously out of the room. With the cot gone we had the chance to view the room properly for the 1st time....and found it to be underwhelming to the extent that it appears more like a 2/3 star rather that the luxurious 5 star we had been looking forward to. The decor was old and dated, the lamps shades hung haphazardly on the lamps (attention to detail not a strong point) the clock radio did not function at all. The room and the corridor leading to the room were decorated very poorly (again like something out a 2 star), there was absolutely nothing about the room that indicated luxury, class or sophistication....it was in fact a complete and utter disappointment,,,,not worth a €100 let alone the €250 they charge for the room. The telephone had telecom eireann written across it which gives you an idea of when the room was last renovated.
The next morning following breakfast, which was adequate (there was a good selection, however the bread and cheese was certainly not fresh) we returned to our room and placed the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door and perhaps naively assumed from there that we would not be disturbed. However this was not the case. Within 20 mins (approximately an hour before check-out) there was particularly aggressive knocking on the door, which I answered. A porter rather rudely asked to be let in to check the mini bar. Out of absolute shock I let him in, however I must say I have never before experienced this treatment in any hotel, let alone one claiming to be a 5 star. The usual treatment being where on check-out you would be asked did you use the mini-bar facilities (which we didn't in any case). I found the treatment invasive, unnecessary and frankly unprofessional...again something I would not expect to experience in a true 5 star hotel.

Overall it was a very disappointing experience and not only would I not recommend the hotel but I will be actively encouraging colleagues and friends to steer clear of the place. MOST DISAPPOINTING.

23  Thank Eric N
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Dear Eric N,

Many thanks for the review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to speak with me earlier and I am genuinely sorry that your experience was not as it should have been. Clearly we made some very basic errors which I accept full responsibility for. I am however pleased that we will have the opportunity of restoring your faith in The Merrion at a future date.

If I can be of any further assistance in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me directly.