“Afternoon Tea at the Merrion - A great afternoon”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I have had afternoon tea at the Merrion on 2 separate occasions this year and each time thoroughly enjoyed the day. The service is exceptional - you do not have to even look for your tea to be topped up! It comes in 2 courses - a tray of sandwiches, cakes, scones, madeira cake etc first and then the 2nd course is the dessert based on the art work of the hotel. Please leave room for the 2nd course as it is divine!! A lovely treat for someone as a gift too

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Dream2live
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Dear Dream2Live,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of all of my colleagues in our Drawing Rooms and in the Kitchen, thank you for your very kind comments; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys the Art Afternoon Tea experience as much as you did. I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Peter Mac Cann

Write a ReviewReviews (3,569)

Reviewed 17 May 2012

Staying at the Merrion Hotel in Dublin was like visiting a rich aunt and being pampered by family retainers! The staff were more than helpful in arranging limo pickup at the airport and a private tour of the city. The public rooms of the hotel have a comfortable understated elegance and the service is superb. Our room was spacious and well appointed. The location is within walking distance of Grafton Street for shopping and restaurants. Truly a five-star experience.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Carol M

Dear Carol M,

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

We stayed in the Merrion Hotel for a special birthday last weekend. Beautiful hotel, attentive staff, the hotel is extremely well presented, with gorgeous design and a lot of character too!

The location of the hotel is wonderful, all the main attractions and Graton Street are within easy walking distance.

I will definitely come back again; everyone in the hotel seems to work very hard to make guests happy! The complementary bottle of champagne was wonderful. Thank you to everyone there who made my birthday remarkable and enjoyable.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cupcake05

Dear Cupcake05,

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. I am particularly delighted to hear that we added to the enjoyment of your birthday and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 16 May 2012

I just want to give a shout out to Clare, a member of the Merrion Hotel's concierge team! I can't wait to meet her when we arrive next month. My husband and I want to visit Newgrange and the Hill of Tara on a Saturday morning while our kids are arriving from the states and getting settled. Clare helped me with lots of suggestions on how to do this-group tour, renting a car, public transportation...we finally settled on renting a care for 1/2 day and driving ourselves. She set up the car rental and is having the car delivered to the hotel and we'll return it to the hotel when we're finished with our little trip. She has been amazing and has made me feel so special and important. She was quick to respond to my requests and emails. I haven't stayed at The Merrion yet, but I'm really looking forward to our experience. If it's anything like the service from Clare, I'll be writing another 5 star review! It's just nice to see someone go above and beyond when asked the simplest questions. I feel so well taken care of and I can't wait to meet Clare in person when we arrive. I'm really impressed!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jennifer L

Dear Jennifer L,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us to date and your lovely comments about my colleague Clare in our Concierge Department.

We look forward to welcoming you to The Merrion in the coming weeks and do let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your trip in advance.

Reviewed 16 May 2012

The Art Tea, an innovative and creative take on the traditional afternoon tea was a most enjoyable experience and a treat to both the eyes and the palate!

With two courses presented (1 extra since the last time I had afternoon tea), the enjoyment was endless. The array of hand crafted cakes, breads, delicate sandwiches and mini scones (my favourite) were followed later with a plate of what could only be described as 'edible art'.

The desserts were explained to us in detail by the pastry chef himself (Paul Kelly), who paid us a visit and explained how they were representations of some of the paintings housed at The Merrion.My guest and myself thought this was a lovely touch. Mini versions of the paintings were cleverly displayed on the table when we walked in, the connection to The Art Tea was a delightful surprise.

Altogether it was a very relaxed afternoon, full of surprises and delight. It was a true indulgence but I reckon we all deserve this once in a while!

Room Tip: Ask for Table 3, it is right by the fire and really comfy!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank NBHDublin

Dear NBHDublin,

On behalf of all of my colleagues in our Drawing Rooms and in the Kitchen, thank you for your very kind comments; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys the Art Tea experience as much as you did.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.