“Afternoon tea treat!”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 26 April 2012 via mobile

As a treat we had afternoon tea at The Merrion and it was a treat!!
We were leaving Dublin later in the day, the hotel were happy to look after our luggage (despite the fact we had not stayed here) until we came back for our tea.
We arrived around 30 minutes early and not surprisingly our table was not ready! However the staff made us comfortable and accommodated us anyway.
The food looked and tasted great!

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Donsiewonsiewoo
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear Donsiewonsiewoo,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of Art Afternoon Tea.

We are all delighted you enjoyed it and hope that when next you come to Dublin, you will have the opportunity to stay with us.

Peter MacCann

Write a ReviewReviews (3,489)

Reviewed 25 April 2012

There are many hotels in Dublin selling their wares as either modern box type outlets or as olde worlde charm establishments. This hotel is one of the latter and in my opinion the best of the type I have stayed in for many's a year.

The Georgian Facade and the underplayed Reception area (like a family lounge) are a harbinger of things to come on arrival. The hotel, despite having quite a few rooms is eager to convey the impressions of an old family country house.

The rooms are absolutely top notch - old fashioned style but spotless, large and fitted with everything that one could want. IT access was FFF - fine, fast and free.

Restaurants and bar were really excellent, both in terms of decor and food, even if the Cellar Restaurant is a bit of an acquired taste, being just what it says it is, a cellar. Afternoon tea in the large drawing room is something that should not be missed. I am told there is also an excellent Spa but because my wife and I both had doses of the 'flu, we didn't try this.

The staff - all of them without exception - are the best I can ever remember - anywhere - and thats saying something when I am comparing them with the top Asian hotels, Shangri La, Peninsula, etc. They are friendly and ultra helpful - an amazing thing for Ireland where the quality of hotel staff is not a strong point.

Its not cheap but you would not expect it to be - you pay for what you get - our room was Euro 260 per night and the one night stay including dinner, wine, breakfast and afternoon tea was Euro 450 in total including 20% VAT but there are cheaper room options.

It within walking distance of the city centre shops - far enough away to be peaceful and quiet but near enough for easy walking access.

Thanks for my stay, Merrion - we will be back again and again.

Room Tip: Garden rooms at rear look onto garden courtyard - front rooms look onto the street but are noiseles...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Johnindee

Dear CTCTraveller,

Thank you for the wonderful review posted recently.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for the kind comments with regard to all of us. It really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

i stayed here for a night on a short business trip to Dublin. I checked in late after a long day - early flight - full meetings and was pleasantly advised I had been upgraded to a suite.

The suite was as you'd expect from this kind of hotel i.e. all of top standard with only one fault i could point out and that being I didn't have a view of the fabulous gardens.

Breakfast in my room was very well done and there were nice touches like my boarding pass being printed and delivered to my room without me asking - that's good service.

Room Tip: overlook the garden
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank thedevilatplay

Dear thedevilatplay,

I was delighted that we were able to upgrade you on your recent visit to the hotel and whilst we cannot guarantee it all the time, I sincerely hope that we will be afforded the opportunity again in the not too distant future.

Many thanks.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

We have just returned from a wonderful three night romantic stay. The hotel's exterior is subtle but the foyer and drawing rooms are superb. The atrium down to the room was lovely and the room was very comfortable with all the touches you would expect at a 5 star hotel. The staff were mostly great and could not help you enough. All in all a great hotel but there were some very very minor drawbacks and it is the little things in a hotel that take it to the next level.

The service in No.23 Bar was great the first night, however the second night the female member staff lacked accomodability. I had asked for crisps as I do not like nuts and I was served them on the first night however the second night she refsued, stating that she would charge us and was not flexible on the matter. Given the style and class of the hotel, a little charm would not have gone a miss,

The Spa is quite small and lacking a Sauna and Jacuzzi, however the pool is of a adequate size and the steam room is excellent.

And finally the price of food. Alcohol in the bars etc was reasonably priced but the food was out of this world. Now I have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world, but even their prices weren't close to this hotel. 30 euros for a pizza in the room does seem excessive.

But apart from these little trifles, the hotel was superb and I will return if we ever go back to Dublin.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank derbyshirenomad

Dear derbyshirenomad,

I want to post a very sincere thank you for your view of the hotel.

We were all so pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

I want also to apologise for the unaccommodating manner in which your simple request was dealt with on the second day and assure you that I have addressed this personally and am confident that this will not happen again.

Furthermore, I accept fully your observation on the price of pizza and I am addressing this fairly quickly also.

I hope we will have the privilege of welcoming you back at some point in the future and in the meantime and once again, many thanks.

Kind regards,

Peter MacCann

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I'm rather late with this review - we stayed at the Merrion over Christmas 2011 during the Big Freeze!
I'd love to say we'll be back but it will take a lot of saving or a lottery win to repeat our glorious time there. It was our first Christmas away from home, husband, son & I. I feared missing all the rest of the family & especially our grandchildren, but truth to tell it was so wonderful I managed to immerse myself in the special atmosphere & let everything else fade away!
Our room overlooked the frozen courtyard, magical in the ice & snow. The public rooms & foyer were beautifully decorated with trees...the one in the foyer rose above the fabulous staircase to the second floor.
We had room service breakfasts to die for, lunches & dinners worthy of Michelin chefs, everything was perfection!
Best of all were the staff - it was so pleasing to be in one of Ireland's top hotels & find such friendly, efficient people. Not at all like so many other hotels where the staff take themselves so seriously as to be haughty & cold. Three cheers for Irish hospitality! Thank heaven the hotel was so amazing, we were unable to leave during our three day stay due to the frozen conditions in the city, but I can honestly say I probably wouldn't have gone outside at any rate....why would I when all we ever dreamed of was in the Merrion!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yankeelass
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2012

Dear yankeelass,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Christmas is such a special time of the year so I am particularly pleased to read for your very kind comments; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us during the summer or again at Christmas!

Yours sincerely,