“Insight to Ireland's history”
Review of Kilmainham Gaol

US$22.74*
City Sightseeing Dublin Hop-on Hop-off Tour
Ranked #1 of 542 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: This bleak old jail was notorious in the 19th century for its harsh treatment of prisoners.
Helsinki
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Insight to Ireland's history”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Our guide in Kilmainham Gaol was excellent. We walked through the prison, peeked to the cells and heard important and lively stories about the history of Ireland: 1846-52 Famine, 1916 Easter upset, etc..

Visited March 2012

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Visiting Dublin? Don't miss this experience!”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

A visit to Kilmainham Gaol is well worth the entry fee of €6.00 this includes access to their museum and a guided tour of the Gaol itself. I first visited back in 2006 and returned there today with a friend. Our guide was eloquent and informative (how she remembered all the information including specific dates I don't know).

I was slightly concerned about hearing all the information as the group we went round with was rather large, about 30 (was only 5-10 when I visited before). I needn't have worried, wherever I ended up in the group I heard fine.

The tour itself lasted about an hour and took us through the history of the gaol from it's inception to it's restoration, including details on it's most famous inmates (the section in the stonebreaking yard was the most poignant).

Once the tour was over we left but I'd advise you to take time to visit the museum (I toured this in my last visit). One other word of advice, unlike in some historic buildings you are allowed to take photographs. If you use your mobile phone as a camera ignore the sign in the foyer asking you to switch your phone off, just switch it to Silent and snap away (your guide will tell you this anyway).

Lastly, I hope you enjoy a visit as much as I did!

1 Thank Blueglasslass
indianapolis
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“must see”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

it should be number one attraction in dublin. great history affordable entry fee and overall great experience

Visited March 2012
Ottawa, Canada
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“This is one of my favourite places we visited while in Dublin.”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We are taken on a guided tour of the old Dublin jail. To hear the stories and to walk through the cel blocks and see how prisoners were kept was amazing. This place during its time wouldn't have been a nice place to be held.
If you are a fan of movie trivia, you will recognize the main area of the jail immediately. This is the jail they filmed In the Name of the Father.
You are not allowed to walk freely here. Its is by tour guide only. I would very much recommend it.

Visited November 2011
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Interesting stories from an interesting guide around the old jail.”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Learn a lot about Ireland in this short tour! Really interesting!

1 Thank gregal0711