“The entrance fee is quite steep for what it is”

James Joyce Cultural Centre
Book In Advance
More Info
US$61.02*
and up
Dublin Pass with Hop-On Hop-Off Tour and Entry to Over 30 Attractions
Ranked #143 of 546 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: This cultural center promotes the study of Joyce's work and is housed in a beautiful 18th-century Georgian mansion.
Reviewed 28 August 2016

I'm a fan of Joyce so wanted to find out some new things, learn a little more about his writing and generally was expecting this centre to be similar to the Roald Dahl Museum in Buckinghamshire...it wasn't. The building is charming and there are some good displays but there wasn't anything of particular interest or note. We took the audio guide which stretched the visit out to 20 minutes but other than the cool little courtyard at the back with the M&S door, there wasn't anything which delighted, entertained or excited me. Good to get out of the rain but only if you can afford it.

Reviewed 7 August 2016 via mobile

I didn't know James Joyce until I went to the this cultural centre. Good to know a famous Irish writer about his life and his works. Recommend for those who like literature.

Reviewed 7 August 2016 via mobile

A wonderful exhibition about the life of James Joyce- and Ulyssis-on 3 floors. Highly recommended to literature loving people.

Reviewed 20 July 2016

On our first full day in Dublin, my two fellow literary-nut travelers and I knew we had to do a literary walking tour. We decided to do it on our own rather than pay to join a tour group. We arrived at the James Joyce Centre midday on a Friday, and we were surprised to find no crowds or lines. This Georgian building was a delight to explore and a great way to know Joyce more personally. Expect historical perspective, biographical information, and interactive displays of his writing. As none of us had read an entire Joyce book (we tried Dubliners together, but failed due to time) the museum lost some magic for us. However, if you have read his work, you'll love this place.

1  Thank Emily D
Reviewed 20 July 2016

My friend and I did this walk with Deidre, A most entertaining and knowledgeable guide. Deidre gave us a deeper understanding of Joyce as a writer and her background stories were interesting and highly amusing. Giving information which fills the gaps on the writers humanity, thinking, manners and setting in which he lived made a great experience for us.

1  Thank 270Patty